Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DVLA red tape. aaaarrrggghhhh
pif

posted on 13/6/07 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
DVLA red tape. aaaarrrggghhhh

i need some advice please on dealing with the dvla. My car passed its SVA a month ago now but i still cannot get on the road. applied online for all the right forms from the dvla and they eventually arrived after 2.5 weeks filled them in best as and went to local dvla office (manchester) waited 1 hour in the que to get a seat a the booth to be told i didnt have all the right forms and to fill in another 3 to 4 and i couldn't do that at the booth it had to be done in the waiting area. so another hour later i get told that i will be contacted "soon" about the inspection. another week later due to missing calls and the inspector never being in the office.

anyway i got to speak to him yesterday at last and he says that they dont do home visits adn i will have to take the car to him. i asked if i could drive it on the road and he said no, you can imagine the rest of the call.

sooooooooooo, is he right, i was under maybe the wrong impression that they came out. i dont have a trailer or a towing car. shall i try a different dvla office or take the "*£&*()%&*)(£&%)£&%)" calvinix approach

maybe i should drive it there as i have the number plates, VIN plate and V5 in my name for the donor although engine numbers wouldn't match. ohh and its insured for road use.

just wanna get on the road before autumn sets in possibly next week.

any advise greatly appreciated

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

02GF74

posted on 13/6/07 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
1. you cannot use donor plates.
2. you cannot drive it to inspection.
3. it seems some offices do home inspections, some don't.

sent u2u.

graememk

posted on 13/6/07 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
my dvla come out but i took it to him the week afer sva and was on he road an hour later with road ax and plates.

Dillinger1977

posted on 13/6/07 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
thats a bit of a sod, my local office is manchester and I was hoping for a home visit!!!

-Rog

Dave J

posted on 13/6/07 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
The following is a quote from my local DVLA office, circa Feb 2006:

"Unregistered vehicles (imports, kits, rebuilds, reconstructed classics etc) can be driven to the Local Office without number plates under VERA 1994 Section 42 part 4(b). The person is not guilty of an offence if "the vehicle was being driven for the purpose of being so registered".

I know DVLA offices seem to make things up as they go along, but it might be worth quoting the above to them and get their ok to drive your car to them for the inspection and registration.

I drove mine without plates or registration to the DVLA centre on the strength of the above. I just made sure I had the letter with me.

Best of luck.

Cheers

Dave

stevec

posted on 13/6/07 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I am sure the Car must be insured though.
Steve.

Flat Pack

posted on 13/6/07 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
I had my inspection at Manchester at the end of May.

Didn't ask if I was allowed to drive there as I believed it was fine and it's one of those things where the different offices have different opinions Drove there, got pulled on the way by a (very friendly) policeman. He was happy with where I was going and sent me on my way.

Got there and the guy doing the inspection didn't question how the car ended up in his (very small) car park with no tow vehicle or anything. (AFAIK there are only 2 inspectors and one of them is a woman, so we're probably on about the same person).

Best news is that if he's already got the rest of your documentation he'll probably register it while you wait. I got my inspection done before passing my SVA retest and he said just to pop in with the MAC and he'd do it there and then. So I did

Howlor

posted on 13/6/07 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Yep definately fine to drive it there as long as you have your SVA pass and have insurance. You see loads of foreign stuff with no plates parked outside the Beverley Office.

Steve

andyharding

posted on 13/6/07 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Drive it there but don't let them see you arrive. If you get pulled by the plod you have all the right forms with and can say you're on your way to DVLA to get registered. They will let you off.

If DVLA ask how you got there your mate dropped you off with his transporter but had to go and pick up a car that's had an accident on "nearby dangerous road" and will collect you later.

I drove from SVA to DVLA. DVLA lady was at the SVA station and said I shouldn't drive there but she doesn't care if I do so I did.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

pif

posted on 13/6/07 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
update.....update

phoned swansea today and asked if sheffield office do them, they do so made arrangements to have my application moved from manchester to there.

guess what happens next, manchester office ring and its the same guy as before and because i am out of sheffields catchment area even though according to their website i am in it, he has been asked to do an inspection on there behalf and will call me back to arrange the day time next week.

W>>T>>F>>

we will wait and see.

pif.

thanks for all the reponses and the U2u.

also rang the local plod and asked them the hypothetical " my mate needs to...."
he suggested borrowing some trade plates from a trader. seems a good idea.

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

rusty nuts

posted on 13/6/07 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Peterborough DVLA told me I was OK to drive there for inspection!
chockymonster

posted on 14/6/07 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Peterborough DVLA told me I was OK to drive there for inspection!

So did Reading.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richard thomas

posted on 15/6/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Went to Swansea DVLA to do mine last year, big mistake. Massive queue, they wanted to arrange an inspection, doddering old cow wandering around 'helping' people gave me all of the wrong forms....so I did a runner to Cardiff DVLA who promptly slagged off the Swansea branch, took me into a private side office and 2 hours after leaving Swansea I was in possesion of a cert to allow me to get plates made and a fully registered car!!!

The fact of the matter is that the DVLA is mainly made up of a bunch of timewasting paperpushing beaurocratic tossers apart from the odd good soul who can reason and use common sense - and the vast majority of those seem to work at the Cardiff branch! I can't fault the service I had there!

So the moral of the story is to make the time to drive to Cardiff DVLA if you want your car registered in less than a couple of weeks - I reckon it's worth the effort? My case is not unique, at least 2 others on this forum have had the same happy 'Cardiff' experience as me.

Honestly, the guy at Cardiff deserves a f*****g medal! Hope his gaffer doesn't read this and sack him

[Edited on 15/6/07 by richard thomas]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.