Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Show me your insides!
DarrenW

posted on 13/6/07 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Show me your insides!

Talking to the misses last night. She has never liked my car and doesnt want to go out in it. After a discussion on what the definition of 'crap' is in swimbo speak she finally said it just didnt feel comfortable and finished off enough. She has always liked Cobras when they are fully trimmed etc.

Now i have no desire to fit axminsters and big armchairs, but i share her thoughts. I built the car to be road worthy and to be fettled at a later date. So, im after some inspiration on more comfy interiors. The only rule is that it has to be suitable for all weathers. Can you kindly put me a pic of yours here?

She has also finally said she hates the colour as much as me, except she also hates my stripes! i only put them on to cover the blue a bit. So im also now looking at colours again - bloody nightmare!!!! Still like the Range Stormer concept colour although may not be able to afford such expensive paint.

Thanks in advance for your pics.

ewan

posted on 13/6/07 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Our wives must have been separated at birth..... My wife has told me in no unsertain terms that she wouldn't be seen dead in it, does this mean that i only have to fit one seat.. ow the peace and quiet. she says "it's a mid life crisis" is 46 mid lfe I don't think so.

As soon as the car is on the road that's when my life will really start.

Santa's coming in 3 sleeps

Hammerhead

posted on 13/6/07 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
volvo and peugeot (307) did a colour about 8 years ago that was similar to the range stormer colour. My mate got hold of some and it wasn't much more than other metallics.

The cobra seats always look nice and comfy. If you want panels and dash trimming you should find a local back street upholsterer to do it for you, they will be cheap and should do a proper job if they are any good.

iank

posted on 13/6/07 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
I think a lot of us have 'don't expect me to ever go in it' issues. I think it comes from completely different ideas of what a 'good' car is like. My wife also likes cobra's for some reason.

I'm not too worried the kids love the idea

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

twybrow

posted on 13/6/07 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
My Mrs cant wait to take it to work to show her friends!? I am not so sure myself... Oh and I am under strict instructions as to what colour I can paint it (no yellow, orange or green - she would very much like baby blue!). And when I told her I wasn't putting a windscreen on it, she did not look impressed.

tks

posted on 13/6/07 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
yeah...

i don't have a wife but as far as it counts i have a girlfriend.

only thing se didn't like is that it hadn't a reverse (it wasn't a favo for me to) sow i builded an electric one on it.

she cant wait to get a ride in it... saying that there is no interior just hard work and late at home events

maybe she feels she has also putted some effort in it...

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

CAD Monkey

posted on 13/6/07 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
One of the main reasons for my build was that the other half wouldn't go on my ZXR, so since I've flogged that she's been encouraging me to start a build - thank heaven for Chris' book! She's been a bit iffy about the stripped out look, but I've now planned to trim the interior as much as is sensible.

Why not go for silver - looks great on the Donkervoorts - especially with anthracite wheels. I'm going for either lotus exige type tree frog green, Donkervoort type orange or silver if that helps.

bilbo

posted on 13/6/07 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I must be lucky. My Wife wants me to fit adjustable seat runners so she can drive it to

Although, she has said she hates the GRP seats I have for it

Edited to say I second Silver

[Edited on 13/6/07 by bilbo]

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

Hellfire

posted on 13/6/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Just accept that she doesn't want to go out in it and life will be some much easier. You'll be on the slippery slope before you know it and next she'll be wanting colour co-ordinated seatbelts, cream leather seats with matching interior trim and exotic fruit air fresheners.

Better still, fit a bike engine, take her out for a spin, scare the living daylights out of her and she'll never ever want to get in the car with you again. It worked for me

Phil

worX

posted on 13/6/07 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
My GF loves it, even with my additional forward roll bar, but then she's not quite right!

Nissan did a range of heavy flip pearls that didn't end up being that expensive Darren.

If you do want to take her out in it, how about putting on/asking her, about some half doors, as that may assist with the tintop feel?

Steve

mookaloid

posted on 13/6/07 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Darren

Why are you having anything to do with a discussion about trim with your Mrs? any trim adds weight and you don't actually need it for anything so why bother?

These cars are not meant to be comfy, they are meant to be no compromise, fast cars which should mean IMHO no trim at all!

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

DarrenW

posted on 13/6/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
They are all the same arent they

i too have been warned off the usual bright colours. I saw the GTS demo car in silver, also seen the Donkervoorts and like the idea. Especially with a candy pearl lacquer over the top to semi change the colour.

For now ill concentrate on finishing the interior. Ive just borrowed a seat pad of a mate to try. They are £35 each if i like them.

DarrenW

posted on 13/6/07 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Half doors are an idea as i lik ethe look of them. Especially with tonneau bits.

im with you on the trim side Mark so anything i do will be minimalist. A lad in ne7ers has a R500 superlight and i like the way it is trimmed. Minimal but still looks finished.

BenB

posted on 13/6/07 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
My wife (whoops- almost put girlfriend) likes Cobras, Furies etc but not Sevens. It's not about the shape. Its the low sides creating an exposed feel... Don't think she'd go near an Atom!!!
Strangely, I think fitting side doors will be sufficient to create the "enclosed" feel...

angus.d

posted on 13/6/07 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Darren

I know it could be a bit of hassle but maybe a full size windscreen and side screens and a bit of padding on the seats might help her change her mind.

At least she/you wouldn't need a crash helmet and the increase in comfort and decrease in in-the-face wind buffeting might swing it.

Mention it to her first before spending any cash however in case she still doesn't go for it !

Best of luck

Angus.

SeaBass

posted on 13/6/07 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - the missus this end normally mentions; Comfy Seats, a roof and a heater... She also claims the way I drive makes her feel sick.

She doesn't like Cobras though... She wants me to build an Ultima, while she gets a 911!

I'll just have to wait on the finances appearing then!

fesycresy

posted on 13/6/07 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, side doors could help and some Cobra padded seats.

Are you going to paint the car yourself ?

What would you expect to pay someone to paint a 7 (standard metallic coulour) ?

The only complaint I get is no reverse.

But get this, if I'm driving I have to push it backwards. But when she's driving, I've still got to push ?

Who's car does she think it is anyway. Better not answer that one

Lyn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

DarrenW

posted on 13/6/07 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Padded seats are out - she will be happier with current seats and decent pads. Ive just borrowed one to try - lad up the road makes them for £35 each. I may be able to use the trial one as a template for a more tailored version.

She's not fussed about screen either (im pleased cos there is no way i would fit one). She does however like the look of the bubble type aeroscreen which is a result. I only fitted cheap deflector to get it roadworthy.

Doors - i like the idea but no idea how to make them. All the ones ive seen have ebow bits just to complicate matters. Dont know anyone local who could let me have a good look. Need to think about this.

No idea on painting cost. I did get a quote last year of £400 all in. A lad on WSCC lives very close to me and is an excellent painter and can rent spray booth. Ill try and catch him in for a chat.

Tunnel cover - i fancy making a tunnel top using foam backed vinyl with the gaitors nicely finished off. Im thinking along the lines of a soft cover that has pop fasteners on the sides - ie easily removeable if needs be.

My biggest problem is apart from home chair seats ive got no trimming experience but want to have a go. I could probs borrow a sewing machine - how hard can it be????? My grandmother is a whizz with the machine but getting a bit old now.

Whatever i do i dont want to make the car all comfy etc, i still like the semi stripped out look. i just want it to be finished if you know what i mean.

locoR1

posted on 13/6/07 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Better still, fit a bike engine, take her out for a spin, scare the living daylights out of her and she'll never ever want to get in the car with you again. It worked for me

Phil

Last time she got in it she said I drive like a Tw*t That was with the standard r1 engine, she'll never get in it now

My oldest daughter is a different story all together I cant keep her out of it she even asked if she could drive it when she passes her test! Obviously i replyed with a very big "No"

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

iank

posted on 13/6/07 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoR1
My oldest daughter is a different story all together I cant keep her out of it she even asked if she could drive it when she passes her test! Obviously i replyed with a very big "No"

Well if she pays for the insurance it would be churlish to refuse ....

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

locoR1

posted on 13/6/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank

Well if she pays for the insurance it would be churlish to refuse ....

I would love to see the look on the guys face when a 17 year old rings up to insure a Locost with a turbo charged r1 engine

I even had an unable to quote from sureturm and I'm 38 with a clean license

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

Humbug

posted on 13/6/07 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have a "minimal-ish but still somewhat trimmed" look:

No carpets, but ali chequer plate fixed to the floor.

No inside panels, but camping mat glued to the inside of the outer panels between the tubes:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=57745

I made some half doors from ali with elbow room, but found I got too much wind so added windows:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=58366

Decide to get some comfy seats instead of the fibreglass shells: Westfield sports seats:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=51380

Marlon

posted on 13/6/07 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Here are a few pics of my interior for you, It is based on a cobra look and is probably overly trimmed for your needs but I have no trouble what so ever getting swmbo out in it, in fact It's normaly her that sugests going out for a blat!!
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

forgot to mention that this was done with very little trimming experience.

[Edited on 13/6/07 by Marlon]

Band Anyone?

Linky to SWMBO 's band
Linky to Brother in laws band
MKoc 1081

zetec

posted on 16/6/07 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Sewing free zone honest. Some foam under the covering, no "button back sofa" stuff, just enough to soften the corners up.

Cheap enough to replace when tatty, but it's been in 2 years and still like new. Rescued attachment Copy of DSCF0048.JPG
Rescued attachment Copy of DSCF0048.JPG

DarrenW

posted on 18/6/07 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
TBH Zetec its your interior pics that inspired me to a degree to do some work on mine.

I take it you just pulled the vinyl around some ply or similar and glued in place. What adhesive did you use? Was it tricky to get the corners neat? How did you hold the vinyl in place whilst the adhesive dried.

Ive tried spray adhesive before, whilst ive had decent results i cant say it was a robust solution. ive also tried hot melt adesive to hold vinyl onto GRP, it was OK but again tended to part company after a while.

The guy who made my seat pads is going to try and make a transmission tunnel cover for me with pockets in etc. The idea is to make something that may velcro in place over the existing plastic work so being removable should i so desire. Just need to come up with a template and ideas.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.