Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know a "good" MOT place in Edinburgh?
rav

posted on 13/6/07 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone know a "good" MOT place in Edinburgh?

I'm moving up this week, need to find an MOT tester that isn't going to be picky, or find faults in order to create work for themselves...
Cheers
Mark

02GF74

posted on 13/6/07 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
What a foolish question.

Not sure if you are aware but the purpose of an MOT is an attempt to ensure that your car is roadworthy in order that you do not kill yourself or more importantly other people.

Testers have a manual to which they test so in theory the test should produce the same results. It is unlikely they will accept brbioes due to loosing the authroity for tests and it is a good earner for them.

smart51

posted on 13/6/07 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx
any tester caught making work and failing a "serviceable" part will get his collar properly felt by the inspectorate...

But I for one would rather not have to go to the hassle of reporting a bad MOT station, I'd rather ask someone to recommend a good one.

For example, the last time I MOTed a car, it "would have failed" on one of the headlights. The push together clips that hold it up had come loose and wouldn't clip back together. The MOTer said that the alignment was right if held in place and that if I promised to glue it, he would pass it. Better than than the guy being a jobsworth and insisting on replacing the whole, servicable lamp.

locoboy

posted on 13/6/07 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I agree,

My MoT tester should have failed my car as the handbrake cable was not adjusted up correctly (new shoes and drums and cable prior to test)

He said here is your certificate but make sure you adjust up your handbrake right away.

simple and saved me a fiver on paying him to do it and ultimately saved a fail.

ATB
Locoboy

BKLOCO

posted on 13/6/07 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I can actually see 2 sides to this arguement.
On the one hand if rav is looking for a lenient tester then he is an idiot and should not be granted the priviledge of driving.
On the other hand I take my cars to what I consider to be a "good" MOT test station in my village.
An example of why I say "good" is this year I fitted a new headlight unit as it was cracked. When Dave tested the car he adjusted it for me with no charge whereas he could have just failed it.
Because of things like this I would consider this to be a "good" test station and would reccomend it to others.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Gav

posted on 13/6/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I think the key to his question is that he's looking for a reputable MOT station that wont invent work. for example i took my car to a main dealers and they wanted to replace the entire steering rack, which i was very suspicous about, turned out it was just a trackrod that needed replacing

mcerd1

posted on 13/6/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know about Edinburgh

but I can suggest a few in East Lothian if you like ?

(All small garages, more interested in making sure the car is safe than in making work for you or themselfs)

quote:
Originally posted by rav
I'm moving up this week, need to find an MOT tester that isn't going to be picky, or find faults in order to create work for themselves...
Cheers
Mark

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 13/6/07 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Where does it say in the original post the guy wants to compromise safety and bribe the tester

He is only looking for a recomendation from someone in the Edinburgh area as he does not know it. By good mot station he means somewhere friendly with a bit common sense. My mate has an mot station and he fixes simple thing like headlight,handbrake adjusment etc if its a simple thing. Where on the other hand my sister in law a few years ago had her car fail on the washers not working but instead of filling the bottle they failed it!! (main dealer)
Good luck and dont let any of the negative posts put you off from using this forum .

Ps I have heard Gerry Martin has a good reputation Linky

Ronnie

(MY FIRST RANT ON HERE)

locogeoff

posted on 13/6/07 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ive used T.A Harris & Son in portobello or what used to be Scotts on the corner of Milton road and portobello road the've always been fair.

Obviously only of use if your East side

macspeedy

posted on 13/6/07 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
rav you have u2u
trextr7monkey

posted on 13/6/07 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ask onhere - several based in and around Edinburgh with "different" cars

http://scottishsevens.proboards28.com/index.cgi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

David Jenkins

posted on 13/6/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have a couple of local MOT stations that I go to - I know the owners of both quite well.

I know that they will do the proper checks and would fail anything that deserved it, but would not be trying to make work for themselves. I believe that this is what rav is after.

I should add that both stations expect me to play my part in this - I have to present the car in good working condition. If I turned up with a dodgy car they'd bend my ear and I'd probably lose a friend!

David

David Jenkins

posted on 13/6/07 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
My MOT bloke likes doing my car - he says that it's nice to work on a car that's not caked in mud and oil underneath!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.