Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MNR Doner
gr8ging

posted on 13/6/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
MNR Doner

I have finally decided to go with the MNR and plan to start the build in september (ish). I was wondering if you could advise if all the donor parts can be sourced from a sierra and if so a definitive list would be helpful, so I can hopefully get most if not all my donor parts ready before I purchase the kit.
Also how long roughly does it take marc to pre-pair the kit from time of order to delivery ( I know it would depend on how busy/and racing) but just a rough idea please

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

vinny1275

posted on 13/6/07 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
congratulations on the choice!!

swmbo and I bought a sierra on ebay about 3 years ago for 99 quid (and sold the wheels / tyres for 90). we're using the pinto engine as well. whether you'd need a whole car depends on what you're going to use for the engine. If you're going to build a BEC then you almost certainly won't need a whole one.

Chris and Marc can tell you all the bits you'll need, but basically Diff, driveshafts, uprights, steering column & link, column stalks, gearbox if you're building a cec, handbrake (I think that's about it).

When we ordered ours, they turned it round in about 8 weeks, when they were really busy with other stuff.

Oh yeh, good luck!

Agriv8

posted on 13/6/07 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Add to vineys list

the rear bearing carriers.
Brakes all round ( so you can P/Ex em )
Rack ( for modification if Non Pas )

Good choice of kit but a bit more info would be usefull

Engine
Kit RT, RT+ or RT supper
What you plan to use it for road or track.

All the best

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

smart51

posted on 13/6/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
There are plenty of places that will sell you reconditioned sierra parts. Its not a bad idea if you don't want the shell of a sierra sitting round at home.

Personally I'd recommend getting recon / remanufactured brake calipers all round. I did my own and have had to replace 2 now. (in fact I replaced them in pairs).

gr8ging

posted on 14/6/07 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
The engine I have is a ZX9E1
The kit will have to be the RT due to budget, unless a good deal can be had on the RT+
Use: mainly road but who knows I may get an urge to track it. Depends on the location of any tracks near Dorset?

I have accumulated so far: Engine as above, Quaife reverse box, grp seats, ZX9 clocks, Willans harnesses, and a big mess of wires from the bike loom.

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

chockymonster

posted on 14/6/07 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gr8ging
The engine I have is a ZX9E1
The kit will have to be the RT due to budget, unless a good deal can be had on the RT+
Use: mainly road but who knows I may get an urge to track it. Depends on the location of any tracks near Dorset?

I have accumulated so far: Engine as above, Quaife reverse box, grp seats, ZX9 clocks, Willans harnesses, and a big mess of wires from the bike loom.

In that case you're going to want:

3.38-3:62 diff from a sierra. I'd suggest the non lsd version as it's lighter and imo the viscous diff isn't the best for such a light car

drive shafts to suit diff
rear bearing carriers (uprights)
steering column
steering rack (non pas)
steering wheel (sva only!)
front uprights
front brakes
rear brakes

Front uprights will depend on your choice of front suspension. If you're going inboard suspension then you'll want cortina, otherwise sierra.
The advantage of the inboard is the rising rate suspension, better front geometry and it looks cooler Speak to Marc about the differences as he'll explain it better!

I went for disks all round with a non lsd rear end and raceleda front calipers (rt+ with inboard)

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marc n

posted on 14/6/07 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I have finally decided to go with the MNR and plan to start the build in september (ish). I was wondering if you could advise if all the donor parts can be sourced from a sierra and if so a definitive list would be helpful, so I can hopefully get most if not all my donor parts ready before I purchase the kit.

good choice

parts needed
sierra diff, shafts, hubs, bearing carriers, rear calipers if running lobro joints, or we do adapter plates to convert drum brakes to discs so you can use either sierra rear calipers or hi spec wilwoods etc
handbrake
steering column
downlink to rack ( we modify this for you )
sierra manual steering rack ( we modify this for you )
front sierra uprights if rt
and our own uprights / raceleda or cortina if rt inboard or Rt + or cortina
we do keep lots of donor parts here if you are struggling to locate everything
re timescale of ordering to receiving of kit is at the moment 6 - 8 weeks although there are five or six people ordering at newark this weekend and the fact we are shut for a week will see this maybe rise a couple of weeks, being honest best bet is to book a chassis build slot early and specify your collection date, you only pay the deposit of £500 on a basic kit and balance on collection of full kit

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SaveTheDodo

posted on 14/6/07 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Hi gr8ging,

Any thoughts on where you will get the exhaust manifold from? I am going down the ZX9 route, and this is the next big decision I have to make. There isn't as much choice off the shelf as there is for the 'Blade.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

gr8ging

posted on 14/6/07 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Another good reason to choose MNR- Marc supports this site and aways seems to be on hand with helpful advise

Ref Exhaust: I was hoping MNR would supply a stainless 4:1?

chockymonster

posted on 14/6/07 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gr8ging
Another good reason to choose MNR- Marc supports this site and aways seems to be on hand with helpful advise

Ref Exhaust: I was hoping MNR would supply a stainless 4:1?

They do.
Marc didn't have a pattern for my exhaust so he used my chassis and engine to make it.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

marc n

posted on 14/6/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
yep any we dont have jigs for we make on the car :

done pretty much all of the bikes inc zx14r but only have jigs for the r1 s up to 04

cheers

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.