Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: newark disaster
madteg

posted on 17/6/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
newark disaster

On the way this morning, hit raised manhole cover and smashed bell housing to bits. Mannaged to get lift there, had great day, on return contacted the AA to pick my car up from paulfs where i had left it. Only to be told because i had hit raised manhole in the road it was not a breakdown so they would have to charge me £ 150.00 recovery WA-K-RS. BIG THANKS TO PAULF WHO HAD A SPAIR BELL HOUSING IN SHED, so we fitted it on my car so it is now back on the road, (THANKS AGAIN PAULF).
graememk

posted on 17/6/07 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
my day started bad as well

i pulled out on the main road where my carpet rolled back and made the loud peddle stick flat out leaving me doing some great donuts on the main road, i came to rest on a very wide keep left in the road after mounting a kurb.

result.....no damage, apart from my pants.

tom windmill

posted on 17/6/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
some poor guys Saturday ended badly. Red MK written off in a lay by about 15 miles from Newark!

Not sure who the guy was i just stopped to make sure all was okay!!

Hope the damage was not too extensive!!

tom

MkIndy7

posted on 17/6/07 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madteg
On the way this morning, hit raised manhole cover and smashed bell housing to bits. Mannaged to get lift there, had great day, on return contacted the AA to pick my car up from paulfs where i had left it. Only to be told because i had hit raised manhole in the road it was not a breakdown so they would have to charge me £ 150.00 recovery WA-K-RS. BIG THANKS TO PAULF WHO HAD A SPAIR BELL HOUSING IN SHED, so we fitted it on my car so it is now back on the road, (THANKS AGAIN PAULF).

Thats bonkers... think i'd have threatened to ring them every week when I had time with some pathetic problem until my policy was up for renewal... then gone to another company!

Or just broke something else on the car to make it required to be recovered ... well the bell housings smashed but its driveable.. it must be something else

matt.c

posted on 17/6/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
my day started bad as well

i pulled out on the main road where my carpet rolled back and made the loud peddle stick flat out leaving me doing some great donuts on the main road, i came to rest on a very wide keep left in the road after mounting a kurb.

result.....no damage, apart from my pants.

Yeh thats what you tell us! You did say that you would like some new tires

graememk

posted on 17/6/07 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
if i ment to do it i'd of found a better place than the middle of the A16 lol

matt.c

posted on 17/6/07 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
cough cough! No more woooosh, more like 11500RPM Go on do it! You know you want to!

jambo

posted on 18/6/07 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
newark claimed me aswell,on the way home i got as far as carlisle when the propshaft let go on the m.way very scary got home at 12.30am
..::Nightfire::..

posted on 18/6/07 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Thats bonkers... think i'd have threatened to ring them every week when I had time with some pathetic problem until my policy was up for renewal... then gone to another company!

Unfortunantly that wouldn't work either due to the "Fair Usage" clause. After aout 7 recoveries they threaten to start changing.

gingerprince

posted on 18/6/07 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
I fell at the first too - got about 15 minutes from home and my clutch cable snapped! Didn't have a spare nipple with me so low-loader home it was
snapper

posted on 18/6/07 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Go back and photograph the offending manhole cover then contact the council as it their negligance and just like tripping over a broken paving slab, you do have recourse in law.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

TangoMan

posted on 19/6/07 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
I wish I got off that lightly. I was about 30 miles from Le Mans, just outside Alencon, when the engine let go.

I spent over 5 hours waiting for European Breakdown Assist to collect me.

To cut a long( and very painful) story short. I finished the trip to le Mans in a rental car and came home with friends. My Seven is still in a garage in Alencon waiting to be repatriated. I suspect it may take a few weeks.

Then I need to find out what broke but it sounded very pistonish. I had the cam cover off and it was lower down that that.

Strange though as it sounded half engine speed. Maybe a valve seat has come free!!

Summer's here!!!!

Guinness

posted on 20/6/07 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
Wow guys, sorry to hear about your problems.

Makes me kind of glad I stayed at home and worked

Mike

40inches

posted on 22/6/07 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madteg
contacted the AA to pick my car up from paulfs where i had left it. Only to be told because i had hit raised manhole in the road it was not a breakdown so they would have to charge me £ 150.00 recovery WA-K-RS.
Went with a mate to SVA his Tiger at Nottingham, when he drove onto the brake test rollers cought his sump plug on steel lip and ripped it off I phoned RAC on my card,they picked up, took us and car back to Sheffield then me back to Chesterfield, Looks like I chose the correct break down service

Peteff

posted on 22/6/07 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Was it the bit where they'd skimmed the road topping off on the way in from the Kelham side? Luckily mine cleared them all or I'd have been in the same boat. Was it a genuine AA man or an agent who recovered you?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.