Author: Subject: -
Herman

posted on 25/6/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
-

-

[Edited on 23/11/08 by Herman]

jacko

posted on 25/6/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sikaflex /tiger sealer / will do the job clean both surfaces and rub with sand paper first clamp them together and leave for 24 hrs
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TL

posted on 25/6/07 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Herman,

Superglue is good for rubber to metal. Buy a decent brand (eg Loctite), not the cheap crap from the market or your local £1 shop.

As Jacko said, clean & key surfaces

Cheers,

Terry

RazMan

posted on 25/6/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with epoxy is that it is too brittle for the type of bond you need. As already said, PU adhesive should do the job nicely but be sure to leave it to cure undisturbed for as long as possible before you try it out - a few days is best.

Oh, and welcome to the mad house

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Herman

posted on 25/6/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
-

[Edited on 23/11/08 by Herman]

rusty

posted on 25/6/07 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
You can get it from a plumbers place they use it in flues and stuff. The problem is it is quite flexible you might be better with a resin
matt_claydon

posted on 25/6/07 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
You could try heating up the metal part and melting it into the rubber - don't know if it's a 'recommended' method but it's worked well for me a couple of times in the past!
westf27

posted on 25/6/07 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
At work i use heat resistant silicone to bond the inner glass door on the oven door to the frame.A google on oven spares should find you some.
RazMan

posted on 25/6/07 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Any silicon gasket cement is heat proof - I've even used it to seal header pipes before now as it simply doesn't burn.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

MikeRJ

posted on 26/6/07 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
If it's that close that it's going to melt the plastic connector the cables are going to get damaged as well, and alternators don't like much heat.

Would it not be possible to fabricate a heat shield from aluminium to keep most of the heat off the alternator and wiring?

I would go with super glue for metal/rubber bond. If done properly the joint will be very strong, but it needs to be dead clean. Use a mild solvent or degreaser to clean the metal and rubber surfaces, make sure they are absolutely dry and use the smallest amount of glue possible. Clamp the two parts together in a vice whilst the glue cures.

Polyurethane sticks very well to metal, but I have my doubts about how well it would bond to the rubber.

[Edited on 26/6/07 by MikeRJ]

awinter

posted on 26/6/07 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
RTV silicone

This stuff is used to seal the corners of cam covers can be had from any good motor factors, Parkers etc. Heat resistant and tells you the temp on the package.

Allan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.