Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 EXUP resistor trick?
adithorp

posted on 5/7/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
R1 EXUP resistor trick?

On mt '06R1 I finally got around to getting a resistor to fool the ECU into thinking the EXUP is still there. Which wires do you connect it to? The information I've got is black/red to white/red but that didn't work . Still getting fault code 17.

Also found I'm getting code 42 - speed sensor and the service manual says the ECU fall back when this comes up is "fixes gear to top gear"!? Whats that mean?
Didn't get this before but I've put a yellow box speedo healer in since I last checked.

Neither code goes off when I try to clear the memory but if they don't affect the running I'm not averse to putting a sticker over the light.

Adrian

adithorp

posted on 5/7/07 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I've got that info but also been told that that gizmo doesn't work and the resistor does by someone. So I thought I'd try the resistor (easy option) before getting a mate to make the gizmo (complicated option).

Also I've jacked the back wheels up and put it in gear to check the speedo reading and it worked and I could then clear code 42, so thats solved untill it appears again if ever.

Adrian

Coose

posted on 5/7/07 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
The easy and reliable option is to buy an EXUP servomotor from eSkip and mount it under the dashboard, out of the way.

Job done!

Spin 'er off Well...

Bob C

posted on 5/7/07 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
There's an in-between road..... I made a much simpler circuit to pretend to be an exup. On the forum jimgiblett got the prorotype & it worked fine out of the box; smart51 made one but had trouble making it work & we changed some components slightly. That's the version I've got on mine - working fine. The circuit is here
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=exup.GIF
and a photo of mine (includes a fuel tank fooling resistor) is shown below.
My car is a '98 but Jim's is an 03 so I reckon the 06 should work the same.
http://freespace.virgin.net/bob.carter/images/exupcct.jpg

weighs a bit less than a redundant exup....

Bob

adithorp

posted on 5/7/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Bob. That looks a bit simpler than the gizmo I've got the diagram for. Do you just do away with the blue 5v wire?

I'm planning to wire the fuel level wire into my tank sender using a parallel resistor to get the range right. Think it can be done? Just need to get my old books out to remember how to work it out.

Adrian

Coose

posted on 5/7/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
weighs a bit less than a redundant exup....

Bob

But then most would go and fit 15" wheels, which would negate the redundant EXUP servo about 20-fold!

Spin 'er off Well...

Bob C

posted on 5/7/07 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
aye the 5V wire not needed with this circuit. You can probably see how it works - the cap voltage is pulled up or down by the motor drive signals, so emulating the servo feedback pot output.
Bob

adithorp

posted on 5/7/07 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh... clear as mud!

I get the jist of it but the details are beyond me. Now where's that hammer!

Adrian

adithorp

posted on 6/7/07 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Bob, I went to get the bits for the circuit today and had mixed results. Resistors and diodes were no problem but need more information about the capacitor (type, voltage, load, etc) and they couldn't make any sence of the BC847.

I tried Maplin ("cant give advice mate cos then its our fault when it don't work" and RS Components in Stockport ("technical are on lunch and won't be back for hours". I got the feeling they weren't interested but I don't know enough about these things either so couldn't shed any light on it.

Adrian

Bob C

posted on 6/7/07 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
BC 847 - try a BC 547 - almost any general purpose small signal npn transistor will do. For the cap I used an aluminium electrolytic, anything from 16V upwards will do

[Edited on 6/7/07 by Bob C]

adithorp

posted on 9/7/07 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Made up the box of tricks today and even with my wee poor soldering skills it works. No more warning light! Bob, I owe you a pint!

Adrian

Bob C

posted on 10/7/07 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
That's good - it's so easy to get, even a simple circuit like this wrong in the build.
I potted mine in hotmelt glue at the weekend - maybe I should post a pic - otherwise the copper vero tracks corrode away in time (should take about 6 years......)
Bob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.