Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Travellers Cheques
cerbera

posted on 6/7/07 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Travellers Cheques

Going to Lanzagrote in a couple of weeks and was wondering whether to take euro or sterling travellers cheques.
Does anybody know which would give me the better exchange rate?

Ta!

hobbsy

posted on 6/7/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'd do neither and use a Nationwide debit card in a cashpoint. Or even any bank card will probably give you a better rate just don't do loads of small transactions.
Simon W

posted on 6/7/07 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh, must admit, though the day of the travellers cheque was dead. You go to pretty much any cashpoint and get your money there and then, you may pay a penny or two per pound on slightly worse exchange rate but not much more.
graememk

posted on 6/7/07 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
again i use a cash point at the bank not a shop.

nitram38

posted on 6/7/07 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Call me old fashioned, but I never use cards abroad. Not only can you get charged by your bank, the cash point can add a charge plus you tend to get less on the exchange rate.
They tend to be a back up for me.

james h

posted on 6/7/07 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
I used traveller's checks when i went to India last summer - more useful there i suspect, as you dont want to carry large amounts of cash on you, and because there are fewer cash machines.

But i think you are probably better off using a card, much less pain when you want the money in a jiffy.
Just my opinion though!

oliwb

posted on 6/7/07 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
The nationwide one is great but a little bizarre. Your only allowed something like 6 transactions a day on it in foreign countries after which they stop it. This OK as long as you remember/plan or don't run into any difficulties but could be an issue. As to travellers cheques always take whatever currency the country uses. We are lucky in that you can get t/cheques here comission free. Unfortunately if you try to cash something that isn't in they're own currency you are often charged commission on it - which would easily outweigh any fluctuations in exchange rates.....and believe me I do know what I'm talking about as this what I do every day! Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 6/7/07 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going to use your card then phone them and let them know.

Some cards become automatically frozen if used abroad, the bank senses unusable activity and suspends the card.

Regards Mark

cerbera

posted on 6/7/07 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips guys
Jasper

posted on 7/7/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cash - cash - cash....

Always the best rate, find yourself a local independant money changer, even the staff at my local Barclays use the chap I go to as his rates are so good.

Watched the BBC travel journo on the news the other day and he said exactly the same things - he always just takes cash - then there's no worry of crap exchange rates and commission charges on your card, or worries of not being able to change your TC's..... just get yourself a money belt if your worried about carrying it.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/7/07 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
We're off to Tunisia next week but I've read that you can't get currency in the UK because Tunisia doesn't allow their currency outside of its sovereignty, so whats the best advice in this situation?

I guess the options is to either withdraw from cash machines once we've arrived (if they are readily available), or take sterling travellers cheques and change them once over there as needed.

Luckily we're staying all inclusive so won't need a lot of cash, but even so I don't want to get stung with a crap exchange rate back to UK currency simply because you HAVE to change it back before leaving, so little and often would be better than having to withdraw a big sum at once.

JoelP

posted on 8/7/07 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-money/

some cards are better than others. Saw something on telly recently but cant remember the card they recommended.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.