Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Modeo... do we like?
donut

posted on 13/7/07 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
New Modeo... do we like?

Bloke up the road has just got a new Mondeo and i think it looks very nice indeed. I know Ford are in finantial trouble so will this be the saviour?

Do you like it?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
joneh

posted on 13/7/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
It does look nice - I just couldn't bring myself to buy another Ford.

speedyxjs

posted on 13/7/07 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I do like it but passat is cheaper and supposed to be better

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

lotustwincam

posted on 13/7/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have test driven it a couple of times as the company car is due to be replaced.

Also on the car list is the Audi A4 and Volvo S60 among others.

In the end I've settled on the Mondeo Titanium X, as in my opinion it is of at least equal quality with loads of extras.

I'm certain that if the blue oval was removed, a passenger would think that it was a more upmarket marque.

The only thing that spoils it for me is the thoughts of several more years of Ford dealer service. Customer service? What's that!!!!

Oh, and did I mention that it'll be the end of September before they can deliver. It may be a factory build, but surely 10-12 weeks is stretching it a bit.

Drew

[Edited on 13/7/07 by lotustwincam]

Tim 45

posted on 13/7/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
lotustwincam, which engine are you getting?

pajsh

posted on 13/7/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotustwincam
The only thing that spoils it for me is the thoughts of several more years of Ford dealer service. Customer service? What's that!!!!

Is anyone any better?

VW certainly aren't, bordering on bloody incompetent where we are.

And I've heard similar stories about Renault, Mitsubishi, BMW, Mercedes and Audi to name a few.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

jollygreengiant

posted on 13/7/07 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
And Volvo is owned by ...................................................................................................................................................... ...........................................................................................................................

Ford

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

David Jenkins

posted on 13/7/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at the ad, I just thought that it looks like all the other bland 4-door saloons. No stylistic merit whatsoever.

IMHO

Volvorsport

posted on 13/7/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
im sure the one with the volvo derived 5 cylinder will be fine .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

gazza285

posted on 13/7/07 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
And Volvo is owned by ...................................................................................................................................................... ...........................................................................................................................

Ford

Perhaps the swedish influence might help with regards to quality control.
As mentioned the old 5 pot can't be that bad if it is good enough to power a new generation of Ford gear, as opposed to the engines developed by Ford in the meantime.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lotustwincam

posted on 13/7/07 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim 45
which engine are you getting?

Unfortunately its the 2L TDCI (140) The 2.2 isn't available until later this year.

The 5 cylinder 2.5T (Volvo engine as in Focus ST) would have been a nice option, but the "Firm" look for an extra £40 pcm donation towards the running cost. Which I suppose is understandable when you consider the difference in running cost.

I decided instead to put the money towards a sunroof and a few other gizmos, but there's no doubt I'm gonna miss the V6 that I'm currently driving.

Think I might just invest in a Bluefin tho, Ssssh, don't tell anyone

Drew

Chippy

posted on 13/7/07 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Guy's, doesn't matter what you think of it, in a few years, (if nobody buy's it), we wont have any Duratec donors. Ray
Tim 45

posted on 13/7/07 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
What happened to the volvo engines in these..according to Fords website, they are still going to be using the duratec and duratorq, (and rumour has it they will be introducing a 2.3 model later in the year)?

gazza285

posted on 13/7/07 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
The "range topping" 5 cylinder is the +15 years old Volvo unit with a new head, why they aren't using the D5 engine as well I don't know, unless it's a noise thing.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

Richard Quinn

posted on 14/7/07 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Guy's, doesn't matter what you think of it, in a few years, (if nobody buy's it), we wont have any Duratec donors. Ray

But I'm guessing its largely aimed at the fleet market so it will be mostly "Unfortunately its the 2L TDCI (140)"
As smaller diesels go, it's not a bad motor (IMHO) but won't be the same in a Locost!

britishtrident

posted on 14/7/07 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Ford are trying hard to pull themselves up by the boot straps, a lack lustre range coupled with in the UK the changes in income tax laws hurt them very badly, together with massive loss of market share in the white van man market.

The quality and reliability of modern Fords is excellent although they still suffer cheap trashy interior trim, a long standing traddition in Ford.

I only hope the dynamics of the cars have improved, I found the handling of the original Focus models had rear steer effects didn't inspire confidence.

But to turn Ford round they need to spend money in europe and yield the axe in the states. They must also learn to get away from bigger=better, each revision of a Ford model is always wider and longer than its predecessor.
The latest victim is the Freelander which is a whole 6" wider than the Rover group original.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Hellfire

posted on 14/7/07 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Ford have always had an image problem... true the quality has improved as has reliability.

When you look at the X Type Jaguar and discover it's Ford interior then look at the sales of the Jag (or not, as the case is) it does not take a marketing genius to conclude that a Jaguar means quality and bespoke type fittings not parts robbed from a Rep Mobile.

Ford is one of my clients and basically they need to get out of the UK before it kills them. The cost base is too high here in the UK and everything suffers as a consequence.

Look what has happened to UK automotive manufacturing/assembly in the UK in the last decade, Rover, Peugeot, TVR, Caterham... they have all absconded to the EU or other. Why do Ford UK think they are exempt and deserve UK loyalty, truth is - they don't, and the British population will not support UK manufacturing by being patriotic like Germany, France, Cz Rep, Spanish etc etc - we buy anything!

The New Modeo is quite unique in it's looks, for now. IMO better than a Passat... it looks too narrow though and as a result I think out of proportion.

It will sell yes, but margins for manufacturers and franchises will be low, prices to sell a mediocre car into the most competitive group will be cut-throat and Ford do not have any unique selling points anymore. I have a company car replacement immenent, I'm not even considering a Ford, nevermind a Mondeo because IMO they are too common!

My 2p - Steve

[Edited on 14-7-07 by Hellfire]

Simon W

posted on 16/7/07 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I currently have the 2006 Mondeo ST (2.2 TDCI) and have to say I am very happy with it. This replaced a 6 month old Astra SRi. The build quality of the Vauxhall was absolutely terrible hence me selling it so quickly. The Mondeo is really solidly put together and I have no complaints regarding the trim, the diesel engine also goes like stink and still does 45mpg+ I am waiting for the NEW Mondeo ST to come out and will consider upgrading

[Edited on 16/7/07 by Simon W]

Noodle

posted on 16/7/07 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Wrong wheel drive.

Your sort make me sick

JamJah

posted on 17/7/07 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Well i like the music in the balloon advert!!

FYI its from the Donny Darko Soundtrack, as someones going to ask.

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.