Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fiat Stilo Cam Belt
smart51

posted on 15/7/07 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Fiat Stilo Cam Belt

My Brother in law has had a quote for a service and cam belt change at over £500. A local independent said it is a Fiat only job unless you buy an expensive Fiat diagnostic tool. Is this true or are they just having him on?
jollygreengiant

posted on 15/7/07 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Which engine and what year might be useful.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

smart51

posted on 15/7/07 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
1.2 16V, 2002 model year.
donut

posted on 15/7/07 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Lucky its not the Coupe, thats an engine out jobby to replace the cambelt!!! There are a couple of people who know how to do it with the engine in situe but it ain't easy. The Stilo may be a similar thing.

Rule No 7 NEVER EVER EVER buy a Fiat!!

[Edited on 15/7/07 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DRC INDY 7

posted on 15/7/07 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
That seems about right

It cost £850 for a 60k service and cam belt on a jeep cherokee or chrysler voyager it takes 2 hrs to change the belts on these vehicle when you have the knack that is

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

Thinking about it

posted on 15/7/07 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
That engine has been used in the 16V punto for some while. My wife had both Punto and Stilo with that engine. I can't see all of those older Punto's going to the main dealers. main dealers are for warranty stuff anything else you go where you get proper service and the people know what they are doing. Mechanics not fitters.
angus.d

posted on 15/7/07 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
My wife had a 1.2 16V Punto and I imagine its the same engine.

I think the problem is that unlike the 1.2 8v engine which has timing marks on the pulleys, the 16v does not. The procedure for changing the belt in the Haynes manual looked a right faff on. You had to remove all the spark plugs and screw in these Fiat special tool adaptors which had long rods passing through them. You had to turn the engine over by hand 'till all the rods were level (checking it was at the right point in the cycle) then screw in another Fiat special tool to lock the cams in position. Then you could change the belt.

Although I've changed belts before I got the Fiat dealer to do just this bit of work and I got them to replace the tensioner which has a bearing in it, at the same time.

Apart from this cambelt pain, the engine was otherwise moderately easy to service.

Angus.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.