posted on 20/7/07 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
What MPV?

Peeps,

I'm thinking about a new car, and am thinking the following:

1) Will be diesel
2) Will be an MPV
3) Maybe an auto
4) Will have 7 seats

Was thinking of a Grand Voyager, but Euro NCAP ratings v. poor.

Now thinking of (latest versions of, and in no particular order):

Ford Galaxy
Renault Espace
Toyota Verso

Any faves or other suggestions?

Cheers

ATB

Simon

Hellfire

posted on 20/7/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Suggestions - nobody really needs a car that big.... I think it's an inadequacy thing!

IMHO
Steve

stevebubs

posted on 20/7/07 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Had a few Galaxies on hire over the years and they've been superb.

Had an espace about 2 years ago to drive family (7 people - 5 adults, 2 children) from Reading - York and it was horrible. Comfortable enough but flaming horrible to drive.

NeilP

posted on 20/7/07 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
SWIMBO has a Grand Voyager and whilst it might not have the stars you do have the bulk - Think it's a lack of side curtain airbags (i.e. driver and front pass OK but nothing in the rear).

She childminds, we have three and a dog and a mother-in-law nearby so I can promise you that size really does matter

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

Scoob

posted on 20/7/07 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
What about the kia sedona? Cheap enough, alot of room..?
oldmanmille

posted on 20/7/07 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Zafira GSi - comfortable, 7 seats and quick
Peteff

posted on 20/7/07 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
My niece has 5 kids, 3 of them under 5 years old and she just bought a Grand Voyager to fit all the baby seats in. It's definitely safer in a crash than a Locost, don't be so negative

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Simon

posted on 20/7/07 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Pete,

It's not me I'm concerned about

The other prob with the Voyager, is the extra 8 grand they want for a foot and a half extra length! Can't figure that one.

The Galaxy looks quite promising, with good (internet) discounts available (so fun haggling

Oldmanmile,

DIESEL

Thanks for comments chaps.

ATB

Simon

marcyboy

posted on 21/7/07 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go with Toyota's Avensis Verso.

It's probably the best way to go.

Avoneer

posted on 21/7/07 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Recently did 3k miles in a VW Touran in 1 week with wife, in laws, 2 kids and a baby.

Can't fault it and didn't get a numb arse once!

Pug 806 as well or 807 (whatever it is now).

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
westf27

posted on 21/7/07 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
V10 Touareg...sorted
nitram38

posted on 21/7/07 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Don't go Kia, they are cheap and have long warranties. I know a chauffeur company who change their fleet to kia from mercs.
They were cheaper but any repairs cost more than a merc as the parts are dearer.
Go for some sort of toyota.
I have a 95 previa and all I have replaced on it is the starter motor and a front set of brake discs. I had a Supra before.
I hate to admit it but toyotas tend to be bullet proof with their reliability!

Phil.J

posted on 21/7/07 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I've recently bought a Mitsubishi Delica, and while it is a 1997 car it has been in the UK for only two years and is in fantastic condition. Seats 7 or 8 in LWB format, 2.8 Diesel auto with a top of the range spec. For what you will pay they are a great buy.
donut

posted on 21/7/07 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 5 year old VW Sharan and in the last year i have had to replace loads of sensors, exhaust, A/C compressor (still not right!) and the Auto gearbox which have an inherrant solenoid problem. Plus the stereo decides when IT wants to work. So i would say NO to a Sharan.

The Crysler costs SHED LOADS to run. I have a few friends that have them and is scares the pants off me when they tell me how much they spend on fuel!!! let alone if anything needs replacing.

Get a Toyota or Honda, boring but reliable! Actually that KIA is suposed to be quite good but i just would never buy a KIA.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 21/7/07 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Been looking at replacing my 5 year old mazda mpv and I'll probably go for a new galaxy with the higher power diesel apparently the s max is out selling it so there are a load of pre registered bargains out there, a six month old Ghia with leather loaded can be had for under £18k.
The new Picasso is worth a look as is the mitsubishi grandis.

Strange thing MPV's once youve had one you never want to move back to a normal motor,they are so usefull, not just for people moving but loads of other stuff as well.

Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

donut

posted on 21/7/07 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Just don't buy French!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

COREdevelopments

posted on 21/7/07 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
well id say toyota! the avensis verso is a good one, only problem with the deisels is that the flywheels tend to go on hard driven one due to the twin mass design! but its more common on the rav4s rather than the verso.
also on the diesel range the waterpumps tend to leak a little, and therefore are usually changed when the cam belt is being done.
iv only ever seen one diesel previa go bang, and that was because the waterpump was leaking badly and the driver hammered the car! it was a total mess! cost a bit too.
i wouldnt touch a french mpv!

rob

hoots_min

posted on 21/7/07 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Recently went through this very same exercise. looked at all those you mentioned and was going for a Galaxy for a while (Espace too big and Toyota v. uninspiring). Started heading towards the Zafira, as it gave me everything I was after, but in a smaller more economical package (was getting a diesel after all). But then realised that the middle row of seats is only really a 2½ seats, so ended up buying a Renault Grand Scenic.

'donut' mentions don't buy French, and I was of this mind too. I have read a lot of bad press about the poor electronics in these cars (but then you usually only hear about the bad stuff), but so far so good and got a good deal on the warranty. If you do get a scenic make sure it is the 1.9 diesel - great engine and still return 49 mpg!

Today is a good day: I achieved new heights of ineptitude.

Catpuss

posted on 21/7/07 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the same boat. SWMBO needs a seater (cos of being a child minder and can't fit 5 kids in the car ) in a few months time.

Its fine when the weather is OK, but when its throwing it down its not nice for a little baby & the smaller kids to be doing 3 school run on foot.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.