Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tracking down a bush
iank

posted on 21/7/07 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Tracking down a bush

I have some rubber bushes supplied by my manufacturer that I'd like to replace with polybushes.

They are definitely imperial and I think they come off something like a herald but I'm not 100% sure.

All the polybush manufacturers seem to work like main dealers in that you need the make and model before they'll sell you anything and don't give dimensions of them on their websites.

I've drawn up the bush and the steering lock arm (it's a middy buggy using a FWD suspension at the back) in case anyone knows or has some handly lookup table of bush dimensions.

Description
Description

It's pretty obvious the crush tube needs to be 1.5 inches long with a 0.5inch hole and the bush will be the two top hat style. But I'm not sure if polybushes are designed to compress when being fitted (like a rubber bush) or are sized according to the tube they are being pressed into. Do the top hats have to meet in the middle, or is their an acceptable air gap?
I can't find a 'universal' bush that seems obviously right and don't have a lathe for fettling to fit.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Chippy

posted on 21/7/07 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, pretty sure it's not the Triumph bush, I think they are about 13/16" dia. I purchased my poly bushes from a firm called "Specra Dynamics-Deflex Bushes", and the ones that I used on the IRS were I think 1" dia. Deflex call them "Kit Car Bushes", order one set, they are cheap as chips, and if correct order the remainder. By the way if you phone them they are more than helpful. HTH Ray. PS www.Deflex.co.uk sorry no phone number

Just re-read your post, No the bushes don't meet in the middle, and yes they do compress, but not a huge amount. The one mantioned above are 1.5" x 1/2" hole crush tubes.

[Edited on 21-7-07 by Chippy]

[Edited on 21-7-07 by Chippy]

bpgoa

posted on 21/7/07 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Have you spoken to Rally Design.. they distribute some poly bushes...

when I called them with a size they came back with some options...

oh yeah... you can turn the bushes down in a lathe if you have access to one!!!

On and On the River flows... We the Undertow

iank

posted on 23/7/07 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the pointers gents.
I'll fire off some emails and see what they say.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.