Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2nd trackday at lydden report sat 21
GeoffB

posted on 23/7/07 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
2nd trackday at lydden report sat 21

i went to lydden on sat for my 2nd trackday in my indyblade,was more nervous this time due to my little bump on the road a couple of months ago and needed to replace a few bits of suspension and re set the car up..
in that bump i also knackered one wheel and think another and defintley knackerd a tyre. i was running 5.5 x14" fiesta wheels with A539 tyres and was quite impressed with these first time out.
After looking at loads of wheels and tons of posts i decided to go with 13" capri wheels and second hand yoko A48 (medium compound)..i had to refurb these and grind a little of the standard sierra front calipers, but because i run drums at the back had no probs at the back.

got them all cleaned up and gave them a coat of etch primer and a couple of coats of satin black and they looked really good.
tried them on the car and releasied the front mud guards werent going to fit so i played about with them lifting the car up,down trying to fit taking tham back of..Untill i was lowering the jack and CRACK..What the fack was that i thought..had a look round and to keep in a safe place to stop me damaging it i had put the wing under the side of the car (whilst the car was in the air)..OOPSS, add a broken front wing to the causalties now..Great i will now have to make a pair of alloy front wings up and paint and fit to the car as well..Anway

Arrived at the track 0800, quick walk round to bring the bloodflow back to my legs (drive the car there, b.e.c,lots of vibration ,no trailer) and its time for sign on. showed my license signed my rights away and on to the briefing..

Chief Marshall""
behave,overtake when and where you like,be safe or i bar yeh'

No noise test,no car checks,no helmet checks NOTHING......(i love lydden)

Out in the novice group again,first laps i was getting use to the car again and feeling nervous after my overflowing petrol breather and black flag saga last time..complete session and came in after and felt really good.

Next few sessions no problems and felt really good..

Next session coming down hill and black flag (oh christ what now.?)
came into pits walked to chief marshall and he said "on the radio came orange car spilling petrol on top bend..reconnizing my car last time and presuming it was me he gave me a black flag.." BUT....thier was a second orange se7en which was pissing out fuel everywhere and he had made a mistake..Thats irony for yeh..heh heh

The rest of the day went almost without a hitch(except for me nut coming off me gear slector and feeling very slack half way through) just left it in fourth and carried on.

Had a fantastic day as ever £120 well spent and got faster and faster as the day went on..and the weather was good.

set up
13"x6" wheels + A48 (medium)
4 click (from softest up) on shocks
ran tyres at 18psi cold they went to 21psi hot
ran spring on 9th ring up on platform height all round

This seem to me (no talent+no idea) a really netural balance and no over or underster and felt very,very stable though the fsat corners..

i also set up my veypor digital dash and manged to take a couple of reading ref lap times and speeds etc

best lap-55.89 sec
top speed 86.25 mph

Quite pleased with the whole day and i big thanks to Geroge Polley who sold me the wheels and tyres he selles loads of part worn yoko for silly money (my 48r were £20 each with only 40% worn)

And these tyres grip like a lympet with PU tubes on his feet...

And a big thanks to this site as without all your help my little baby would not have got built and be able to make me feel like a F1 driver for the day........

Give yourself a round of appluse

All the best and

TRACK IT..ITS THE ONLY WAY OF LIFE

Geoff

nitram38

posted on 23/7/07 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant circuit. A nice circuit for small cars. I did a 50 sec lap in a vandiemen formula ford in 1993, just after they resurfaced it.
Have they kept the tarmac in good nick?
I believe that the circuit is exactly 1 mile?

GeoffB

posted on 23/7/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Surface isnt in bad nick..and its still 1 mile round.pits and facilities a bit dated but this just adds to the friendlyness in and around the pits
mark chandler

posted on 23/7/07 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Geoff,

Sorry I failed to turn up, not allowed by Lydden when I called to book.

Only had space in the Novice class and they did not want a BEC running with the novices... theres irony for you as I had my credit card in hand so joined the 'I hope someone cancels' group... bah.

Were you wizzing around the other people out there and needed upgrading ?

Cheers Mark

GeoffB

posted on 24/7/07 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thats funny mark, because im a bec and i went into the novice group.?
i wouldnt say buzzing past everything because we also had a R300 and a duratec seven in our group that were quicker than me..

normally you wouldnt have had a problem booking but that was a very,very busy day because they had loads of caterham race drivers who also shared the track doing thier testing for later in the year.

I have never seen it that busy before.Usually you can just turn up on the trackday itself and get in.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.