Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Old topic rehashed - Wide band
Steve Lovelock

posted on 25/7/07 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Old topic rehashed - Wide band

I have a XE engine with GSXR TBs and have built a MSnSE to take care of the engine management. Currently at the stage of starting to read the tuning manual to get the whole thing set up. I fitted a narrow band sensor because it was cheap and I am tight. However I want a car that runs well for the smallest fiscal outlay. So, I find my self in the States for four weeks and have been asking myself the following questions:

1) Should I by a wide band sensor for $200 whilst I am here and bin the narrow band one?

2) If yes, does this mean that I can use the auto tune software and avoid the cost of a rolling road session, thereby saving much more than the $200 outlay on the WB?

Now it took the best part of 8 months to build the MSnSE unit and I fear it will take the best part of the same again to set it up because I don't understand the technical gobbledygook that is the instructions. So, please keep the responses in plain English. Thank you.

BKLOCO

posted on 25/7/07 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Answers:

1) yes

2) You'll be lucky to find a RR op who will go within 100yds of MS so you're on your own!

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

nitram38

posted on 25/7/07 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
The wideband innovate gauge will allow you to tune your own engine but under certain conditions.
My R1 will have a power commander so tuning can be done on the go.
Remember that to tune an engine while stationary and while under load are two different things.
The advantage of my set up is that I will be able to enrich/weaken the fuel mixture while driving on the power commander while checking the innovate gauge.
You will probably need a rolling road to do any adjustments if you are using a car engine.

paulf

posted on 25/7/07 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 25/7/07 by paulf]
paulf

posted on 25/7/07 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
You can adjust megasquirt in real time using the 02 gauge, the hard bit is keeping steady load conditions whilst doing so.
The megasquirt has an auto tune setting but it is of limited use once the car is running.
The best way is to use a program called Megalog viewer and do datalogs whilst driving in varying conditions, this can then be used to generate a new VE table automatically.
i have been tuning my car with this program and a narrow band sensor with good results although it is running to rich on the top end as there is no way of determing the exact mixture with a narrowband.I need to get a wideband now also and am intending to buy an lLC1 soon.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
The wideband innovate gauge will allow you to tune your own engine but under certain conditions.
My R1 will have a power commander so tuning can be done on the go.
Remember that to tune an engine while stationary and while under load are two different things.
The advantage of my set up is that I will be able to enrich/weaken the fuel mixture while driving on the power commander while checking the innovate gauge.
You will probably need a rolling road to do any adjustments if you are using a car engine.

scottc

posted on 25/7/07 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I thought autotune was just a better version of using megalog viewer to update your VE?

I understood, you put in what afr you wanted at each bin, and autotune met those figures while you drove around? Have I got it completely wrong again

chriscook

posted on 25/7/07 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I think that MLV is a bit cleverer in the way it works in that it ignores data where accel enrichment is kicking in and a few other bits. Means you don't have to drive around like a granny so much.

I've been happy with MLV. Th only porblame was when I was doing something stupid and messed up my VE table.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.