Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Ticking
the dave

posted on 26/7/07 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec Ticking

I have a 2.0ltr Silvertop and earlier this week i took of my ERA sump and altered the position of my tiger shortened oil pick up and baffle to try and improve oil pressure and prevent surging.

I did this and put it all back together, new gasket etc. Once i'd put the starter motor back on i filled it with unipart 5W30 which has the ford standard 913 stamp thing, and filled it up to the full line on the dip stick.

Now, as i fire the engine up there is a new, very prominent ticking, or tapping. This tapping is in time with the rev's, e.g. speed up the revs speed up the tapping. I thought it might be a tappet not getting oil and that i'd put the pickup on incorrectly, but i'm having trouble pinpointing the tap. Could i have done something to cause a tapping elsewhere in the engine, e.g. in the bottom end?

Has anyone else come across this before? It is damned annoying, also i think my oil prssure is worse. I took the relief valve out wiped it down and put it back so it is isn't stuck, but is there a particular way it needs to be installed? Is it possible to place the oil puckup too low in the sump?

Soo many questions, so little idea.

Thanks guys

scutter

posted on 26/7/07 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
There's a possiblitly that your new oil pickup pipe is being clouted by the crank,

How hard is it to remove the sump and check the pipe for new shiney marks?

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
saigonij

posted on 26/7/07 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
i would use drain the oil and actually use ford oil if you want to remove the ticking noise....

i fille dup with comma oil last time which is meant to be the right zetec oil ( or so i was told ) and my blacktop in the focus ticks on startup.

in terms of oils and zetecs, dont use anything other than actual ford stuff - i know its dearer, but its made specifically for it.

Macbeast

posted on 26/7/07 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Can you easily take the rocker cover off and check to see if oil is being pumped through to the cam followers ?

Does oil pump need to be primed ? Wouldn't have thought so unless engine didn't turn over for weeks while you were modding.

whitestu

posted on 26/7/07 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

i fille dup with comma oil last time which is meant to be the right zetec oil ( or so i was told ) and my blacktop in the focus ticks on startup.

The silver top has hydraulic lifters hence the need for a specific grade of oil, but the blacktop has solid lifters. Why would it tick with different oil?

Stu

saigonij

posted on 26/7/07 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
just telling you what happened to me. pretty sure i did not make it up.
whitestu

posted on 26/7/07 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

just telling you what happened to me. pretty sure i did not make it up.

Sorry - didn't mean it to sound like that - was just wondering why.

I've got a Focus Zetec going into my Indy this winter and hadn't given any thought to using Ford only oil.

Stu

BKLOCO

posted on 26/7/07 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Exactly the same thing happened to me.
I thought the worse.... Big end... small end... etc. etc.
Mine was discovered on removal of the sump to be a big end bolt just clipping the oil windage tray.

I would lay bets that yours is the same.

In standard form there is very little clearance between this tray and the big end bolts. You only need to have bent it slightly on assembly and it will foul.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

scoobyis2cool

posted on 26/7/07 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I had exactly the same problem, admittedly with a Pinto rather than a Zetec. It turned out the crank was hitting the oil pickup pipe, as scutter suggested. A swift adjustment with a mallet and the problem was solved!

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 26/7/07 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I know you did not mention anything to do with the injection and timing but...I knocked the throttle pot on mine and moved it off the ECO set point, engine sounded just like one of the tappets was on the blink, must have been very slight pinking...just an thought.
scoobyis2cool

posted on 26/7/07 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Just another thought. When I had this problem I took the sump off and used a socket on the crank bolt to slowly turn the engine over by hand. That allows you to see if anything is fouling.

Pete

the dave

posted on 26/7/07 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions.

I took the sump off again last night and didn't see anything obvious, but i'll go and check things over.

Hopefully it's something silly.

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/7/07 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
I know this is really obvious but have you driven the car since the top up. I work in a bodyshop and some of the cars are onsite quite a long time and the oil settles and on startup some rattle like a rattly thing! The cure is a good howl down the bypass, just revving or tickover doesn't do the job - worth a try

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

the dave

posted on 27/7/07 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I have taken the sump off and now obvious signs of anything knocking.

One thought though. I opened the pressure relief valve cover, and then took out the funny 'spinning top' looking bit of metal and the attached spring. On the end of the spring was a cup with an off centre slot in. Does it matter what orientation this is, as I didn't pay attention to which way it was when i removed it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.