Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hacksaw
quadra

posted on 29/7/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hacksaw

Can anyone recommend a good hacksaw, as I don't seem to be having much luck witht them recently. The first one I had, was inherited from my Grandfather who was a Bricky, so it would only cut to within the nearest inch, so I looked for a better one. I purchased one through ebay, which appeared to be strong and rigid. Within three weeks it was in pieces. So before I waste any more money, can anyone recommend a good quality and robust hacksaw.

Cheers Mike

You don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

hillbillyracer

posted on 29/7/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is a C.K. I got it from a guy we call Greengrass for a pound! God knows how old it is but it just feels right to use, got one the same at work along with a few others & the C.K. is the one everyone uses.
theconrodkid

posted on 29/7/07 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
get an "eclipse" they are the original and still the best ,imho of course

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

UncleFista

posted on 29/7/07 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
We cut most of the steel for our chassis with a cheapo chinese saw, we replaced it near the end of the build with a bright yellow, resin framed Stanley one.

I wish we'd bought it earlier, easier to use and more accurate, also buy bi-metal blades, umpteen times better than the cheap (actually rather expensive) ones.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

iank

posted on 29/7/07 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
I bought this one Screwfix link

With decent blades it's fine, and comfortable to use.

I'm sure there's better to be found, but compared to the last one I had it's a rolls royce.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Wadders

posted on 29/7/07 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sandvik, top notch

i]Originally posted by iank
I bought this one Screwfix link

With decent blades it's fine, and comfortable to use.

I'm sure there's better to be found, but compared to the last one I had it's a rolls royce.

caber

posted on 29/7/07 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I vote for the screwfix Irwin, however get the most expensive blades you can and change them as soon as they show signs of wear!

Caber

bpgoa

posted on 29/7/07 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a yellow copy of that Irwin... bought it from the market for £3... I bought it to have a second saw I could keep in the workshop (as opposed to the garage)... it's ten times better that the Eclipse I have ...

I have to say though... I bought the best blades I could from Tilgear - in Cuffley (try Google).. I've used two... and that's coz I was trying to cut through a bar over my knee(first one) ... and trod on the saw (second one)..

On and On the River flows... We the Undertow

Fatgadget

posted on 30/7/07 at 01:26 AM Reply With Quote
Aren't hacksaw blades a universal fit? In which case it matters not the acktual make of the hacksaw,rather the quality of the replacement blades..no?
nitram38

posted on 30/7/07 at 03:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fatgadget
Aren't hacksaw blades a universal fit? In which case it matters not the acktual make of the hacksaw,rather the quality of the replacement blades..no?

Try a cheap hacksaw first and then come back!
If the hacksaw frame is weak, then you will get blade flex and you will break a lot of blades.
Weight of the hacksaw is also important to stop blade "bounce" on your work.
As someone who has used a hacksaw everyday for nearly 25 years on electrical conduit, the very best is Sandvik.

David Jenkins

posted on 30/7/07 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
My personal preference is for an Eclipse hacksaw frame with a straight handle, as seen on a file (rather than the typical "D" handle).

I find that I can steer a far straighter course with that one!

Look of bi-metal blades - they have super-tough teeth on a springy back. The very best best blades are the all-hard ones, but they break very easily in inexperienced hands. The bi-metal ones are very forgiving.

HTH
David

quadra

posted on 30/7/07 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the good advice, new hacksaw now purchased. I bought a Bahco Sandvik 325. I'll let you know how i get on.

Mike

Peteff

posted on 30/7/07 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
I have 3 frames, 2 Eclipse, 50p from car boots and one I found in the garden when we moved, a Ben Setter which looks just like the others. They all work fine with good blades in. Use two hands to control them, use the full length of the blade and keep watching where the cut is going.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeRJ

posted on 30/7/07 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I bought some cobalt blades at vast expense a while back. They seem to slice through virtualy anything, but they are very brittle, have broken several already. The bi-metal ones are almost indestructable.

I think my frame is an Eclipse, one my old man gave me many years ago.

nitram38

posted on 30/7/07 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I have 3 frames, 2 Eclipse, 50p from car boots and one I found in the garden when we moved, a Ben Setter which looks just like the others. They all work fine with good blades in. Use two hands to control them, use the full length of the blade and keep watching where the cut is going.

And remember to put the blade in the right way!
There is normally an arrow which should point away from you when you are holding the saw or look at the teeth, they should be pointing away from you.

David Jenkins

posted on 30/7/07 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
And don't rush at it like a bull in a china shop - go for a steady rhythm, about 1 stroke per second, relaxing on the back stroke to reduce wear on the blade.

A good frame, correct blade and good technique will mean fast and accurate cuts. It's good exercise too!

NS Dev

posted on 30/7/07 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sandvik (Bahco) and Facom both make a very nice saw which are quite similar and sound like the one you have now bought, both proper rolls-royces of the hacksaw world and both very good, good buy!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

quadra

posted on 3/8/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hacksaw arrived earlier in the week and I have used it to cut steel plate and ali bar. Its much better than previous hacksaws i have had, much more controllable. The blades seem to make a lot of the difference though as well.

Thanks for everyones help.

Mike

David Jenkins

posted on 3/8/07 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, the quality of the blades is the main factor - but you have to hold them properly to get the benefit!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.