Posts 49
Registered 7/6/07
Location Uttoxeter

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Tiger Cat E1: Pinto GSXR 600 Throttle bodies, Mega

posted on 10/8/07 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt n spark extra

Hi,

Has anyone used MsnS-e on a pinto with GSXR TB's?

This is the route I am taking and just curious to see if anyone has been successful.

Simon.

rayward

posted on 10/8/07 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

not sure if its been done, but no reason why it wouldn't work.

you just need to remember, you can;t just remove the distributor, as it drives the oil pump.

hth

Ray

Catatomic
Contributor

Posts 49
Registered 7/6/07
Location Uttoxeter

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 10/8/07 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhhh... Thanks, that would have caused big probs.

Simon.

TangoMan

posted on 10/8/07 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
I used Megajolt on my Pinto but have gone for Megasquirt on the Zetec with GSXR TB's.

It will work fine on the Pinto and have the added benefit of wasted spark for improved ignition.

The toothed wheels from triggerwheels.com are ideal for a pinto front pulley. I had mine turned down by less than one mm and the wheel was then a press fit to keep it central and was welded to keep it there.

I would advise sourcing a wideband and controller as this will make setup much easier. I am not sure how many MS maps there are around for a Pinto.

Go for it.... You know it makes sense

Summer's here!!!!

Catatomic
Contributor

Posts 49
Registered 7/6/07
Location Uttoxeter

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 10/8/07 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the encouragement. I have all the bits for the conversion, just trying to get my head round the installation. Running a return fuel line is the first problem. Do you use a swirl/surge pot or a straight return to the tank? If swirl, does there still need to be a return line to the tank?

Simon.

matt_claydon

posted on 10/8/07 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I've got exactly that setup: Pinto, GSXR 750/1000 TBs, MSnS-e. I'm running hybrid alpha-n for fuelling and have got it running very nicely, much better fuel economy than the twin 40s, at least as much power, maybe a twinge more and much more tractable at low revs.

Still a few nigles to sort out: popping on overrun, starting could be easier and need fast idle valve but otherwise am very pleased with it.

paulf

posted on 10/8/07 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I am running a zetec on speed density mapping and would like to run hybrid alpha N but am not ceratin about how to set it up.
I can see how to change to alpha N and also have seen the setting for turning on Hybrid alpha N but cant see how to adjust the mapping for it.Is there some means of setting where it uses speed density and where alpha N ? i have looked on the MS forums but can only find usefull info on Megasquirt 2 setups.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
Yep, I've got exactly that setup: Pinto, GSXR 750/1000 TBs, MSnS-e. I'm running hybrid alpha-n for fuelling

Catatomic
Contributor

Posts 49
Registered 7/6/07
Location Uttoxeter

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 11/8/07 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I will be using the edis module for spark and MSnS - e for fuel. What is the hybrid alpha system and is it a good option for me?
matt_claydon

posted on 12/8/07 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
Alpha-n uses throttle position instead of manfold pressure as the y-axis on the VE table. This is good when you're using individual throttle bodies that the MAP signal is generally not very good. Harder to get an initial table set up though and requires a bit more thought and effort when tuning.
Catatomic
Contributor

Posts 49
Registered 7/6/07
Location Uttoxeter

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 12/8/07 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
More thought and effort?! Crikey, I think I am at max capacity now! I'll stick with the squirt and use TP and/or MAP until I know what I'm doing.
DaveFJ

posted on 13/8/07 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
This is the setup I wil be using - if I ever get it finished! I have also fitted a wideband O2 sensor....
Have you got a inlet manifold yet? If so where from - or did you make it? ... this is my probvelm at the moment.. I was hoping to make one using lu7miweld but.. well it's crap! so I am considering biting the bullet and buying one from Bogg Bros...

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

paulf

posted on 13/8/07 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I made an alloy one for my Zetec but the previous one on the crossflow was mild steel ,I used 10mm plate for the flange and exhaust tube for the runners , it wont be to heavy as there is little material involved to make much difference between steel or alloy.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
This is the setup I wil be using - if I ever get it finished! I have also fitted a wideband O2 sensor....
Have you got a inlet manifold yet? If so where from - or did you make it? ... this is my probvelm at the moment.. I was hoping to make one using lu7miweld but.. well it's crap! so I am considering biting the bullet and buying one from Bogg Bros...

DaveFJ

posted on 15/8/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rayward
Hi,

not sure if its been done, but no reason why it wouldn't work.

you just need to remember, you can;t just remove the distributor, as it drives the oil pump.

hth

Ray

I have cut my distributor down so that only a small stub protrudes from the engine. I removed the bronze bush from the top and re-inserted it in the cut off stub so that the shaft was still located properly. I enlisted the help of Dave Jenkins and his Lathe to get the hole opened up to the correct dimension to accomodate the bush.

HTH

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Catatomic
Contributor

Posts 49
Registered 7/6/07
Location Uttoxeter

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 17/8/07 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
I had my manifold made at Boggs. £200 and a thing of beauty it is! I did not want the hassle of respacing the Tb's so the tubing is curved to accomodate.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.