Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: aluminium radiator cores
andrew-theasby

posted on 15/8/07 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
aluminium radiator cores

Hi, after watching biker build off on sky yesterday where they did a water cooled bike, does anyone know where you can buy just the core for an aluminium radiator to add your own ends? Cant find anywhere on google, just thinking it might be a good way to get a perfect fitting radiator if they were cheap enough. Got to make the tig set pay for itself
Nick Skidmore

posted on 15/8/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
PACE PRODUCTS they do oil coolers, rads, pumps, tanks etc.

I've used them and found them very good.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mark chandler

posted on 15/8/07 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy cores commercially, most decent rad builders will also be able to supply as they remove the plastic ends from old rads and reuse.

I think you would struggle to TIG an end on though, these things have claws that grip the header and rubber gaskets, the ali is very thin, most likely to just burn big holes when you start.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 15/8/07 by mark chandler]

andrew-theasby

posted on 15/8/07 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
I think you would struggle to TIG an end on though, these things have claws that grip the header and rubber gaskets, the ali is very thin, most likely to just burn big holes when you start.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 15/8/07 by mark chandler]

Thats what id have thought too but they definitely welded the one on telly, with some pretty heavy gauge ends too. Ill try pace products now. Thanks

johnemms

posted on 16/8/07 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
I got a polo core off ebay and used the ends and rad and fan and 3 way switch off a golf gti rad .. see pic in archive..
ned

posted on 16/8/07 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
do radtec supply cores or do they get them from pace?

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 16/8/07 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
HI radtec supply thier own parts inc cores.

Radtec link.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 19/8/07 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this pic:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=2007_07310066.JPG

It's my intercooler, made from two Ren 5 GT T intercoolers with plastic bit removed and 4mm ally used to join all bits. I made the outer ends etc and welded the whole lot up. The intercooler cores were very thin, so using a thicker material for rest made welding easier afaic.

Try it on very cheap 2nd hand core to start with. Get it media blasted first.

ATB

Simon

andrew-theasby

posted on 21/8/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, Radtec dont seem to advertise the prices for just the cores unless ive missed it, but theyll both be worth a call when im ready to take the plunge if i do. Where were your cores from simon? Did you weld them yourself? I guess an intercooler would run nearly as much pressure as the radiator wouldnt it.
jkarran

posted on 22/8/07 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Just bought an IC core from Pace, it's nice, easier to weld to and much lighter than the Mini one I was going to use and was only ~£100. I guess rad cores are similar cort of cost. They also do tapered and curved cores for a premium.
jk

Simon

posted on 22/8/07 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew-theasby
Where were your cores from simon? Did you weld them yourself? I guess an intercooler would run nearly as much pressure as the radiator wouldnt it.

Andrew,

Bought both i/coolers of ebay - one was a fiver, the other little more. Carefully removed all plastic bits (just bend outer fold over tabs, though I'd just grinder them off next time as close to "castellation as poss) bead blast, and clean interior off oil residues etc. Cut some thicker ally for central join, and welded up (yeah, all by me), made template for outers as I wanted them the shape they are. Cut more 3mm ally to template shape, anneal, then weld along one edge. Put in end "formers" (with inlet tube already welded in!!!) then fold outer over ends, clamp down, and weld up.

Bit of grinding to make nice

Water temp up around 80 - 90 deg in use and pressure s/be below cap vet (around 14psi). Intercooler will have to cope with similar temps but air, and similar pressures, Pressure will vary a lot more in i/c than water rad.

ATB

Simon

andrew-theasby

posted on 22/8/07 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
As easy as that only kidding, well worth the effort, must have saved you a fortune. Ive got an old radiator somewhere, i might have a try welding some bits of plate onto that and see how it goes before spending any money, im still fairly new to ally welding so i wouldnt want to kill a £100 core (didnt realise theyd be that much), but id like to try.
jkarran

posted on 22/8/07 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
I switched to a bespoke core for a couple of reasons. The main one being the CooperS core I was using appears to be brazed together, the heat from the TIG was blowing the braze material out and I feared unreliability problems.

Apart from that it's lighter and smaller (fits better).

The Pace core has a meaty (~1.5mm thick) flange to weld to, just practice but welding a few pieces of thin sheet, get everything squeaky clean then get stuck in. I did mine tonight and it was pretty easy. This is the first major piece of alloy welding I've attempted.

jk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.