Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: pipe bending
burgessj

posted on 6/9/03 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
pipe bending

I'm in the process of constructing the rear of my book chassis, and have come to the bit where I need to bend the 19mm tube that forms the luggage compartment ..

For the upper rail, a 3 inch radius is required. Luckily, I hired a conduit bender that had a 20mm forme. With this I managed to bend the tube very neatly and with the right radius.

Anyway, the bottom corner tubes need to be bent with a 2 inch radius. I'm having trouble bending these neatly...

Can anyone give me any tips?

JohnB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carcentric

posted on 7/9/03 at 03:38 AM Reply With Quote
Assuming it's square tubing . . .

That's pretty tight for that size of tubing even if you could find a 2" radius bender tool.

If you have access to a welder, though, you could kerf all but the outer side (pie shaped wedges cut out), bend toward the inner side, weld the kerfs shut, and grind down the welds. The more kerfs, the smoother the outside and inside radii.

I've never seen this method used with round tubing, but if you can hold it still while cutting the kerfs, it might work.

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

Peteff

posted on 7/9/03 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
It's easier to panel if both radii are the same. I used a plumbers bending tool and for the bottom just bend a piece of tube with 2 right angles and cut the bits you need out of that.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

craig1410

posted on 7/9/03 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Yip, I agree with Peteff. I just used a 3" form and used a section from a 90 degree bend which gave me the 2" bend I needed. It's not perfect but it will be covered with aluminium anyway. I think Mark Allanson did this too and then welded a piece of flat bar on the outside of the round stuff to form the exact 2" radius profile. That seemed to be a good idea to me.

Cheers,
Craig.

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/9/03 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Picture shows it all really, the 25x3mm flat bar gives a smooth radius Rescued attachment RearPanelRadius.JPG
Rescued attachment RearPanelRadius.JPG

burgessj

posted on 7/9/03 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all...

Looks very tidy Mark...have you panelled it yet ? (if so did the different radii cause a prob)

JohnB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carcentric

posted on 7/9/03 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't there also a SVA rule about no radii less than 3" on any exposed part?

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/9/03 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't there also a SVA rule about no radii less than 3" on any exposed part?

I think you will find that it is 2.5mm, 3" might be a bit more of a problem!

I havent panelled out yet, I am going to put in a pair of rollbar braces before that (got to have them if your seatbelts are attached to the rollbar, I could not get the height requirement by attaching to the chassis unless I built 2 little eiffel tower thingies on the bulkhead top!)

My lower radii on the back panel are also 3", I thought that trying to wrap 1.6mm ally aroud a 90 degree bend with disimilar radii top and bottom was just making life difficult for no reason!

Northy

posted on 7/9/03 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
(got to have them if your seatbelts are attached to the rollbar,

Who says?

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

Peteff

posted on 8/9/03 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
got to have them if your seatbelts are attached to the rollbar

I haven't. My rollbar is welded on and the mounts are on a crossmember between the uprights with a thread tapped into a 5mm plate welded to it.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/9/03 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I read it somewhere on here, I took it as gospel.

I also want the rear braces in case of a rear ender, I live on the main A30 and just outside the 40 limits of the village. What has happened before is some holiday maker sees a fast car indicating right after just leaving a restricted zone and assumes they are overtaking, and go to follow in my wake - but I am turning right into my drive! - you can imagine the near misses I have had, it is a bit of a worry!

Mark

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.