Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTD Castor adjustable mushroom adaptors
locoboy

posted on 22/8/07 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
WTD Castor adjustable mushroom adaptors

I am struggling with getting my car to self centre see here

and would like to borrow a set of castor adjustable mushroom adaptors for sierra uprights to see if it makes it any better,

I have SVA retest on Friday morning so would need to borrow them pretty quickly if anyone has a set they are not using in their build yet?

Much appreciated

[Edited on 22/8/07 by locoboy]

ATB
Locoboy

robinj66

posted on 22/8/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've read through your other thread and hope I've understood correctly. You are after mushroom inserts that can be slid up/down in the upright.

Pilgrim Cars produce mushrooms to sit in the Sierra uprights for their Sumo (Cobra replica). I know that they have recently produced longer ones as some Sumo owners have had problems at SVA. You could try contacting them on 01273 493860.

A word of warning - you MUST impress on them the fact that the items have to go out SAME DAY as they can be a bit lax [they are based near Shoreham in Sussex]

Another possibility is Robin Hood (now Great British Sportscars (Mansfield woodehouse, Notts) - the mushrooms were certainly available for the earlier cars such as S7 and Series 3 but I don't know if they currently still supply them. 01623 422286.

Good Luck

locoboy

posted on 22/8/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Robin,

Not to be slid up and down but the ones with an offset hole whereby turning the mushroom in the upright it provides more or less castor but i also moves the camber - which can be re set with the top adjustable ball joint.

ATB
Locoboy

posted on 22/8/07 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Please anyone feel free to say I am talking bo**cks, but...

isn't the castor angle a line drawn between the ball of the top ball joint and the ball of the bottom ball joint, viewed from the side of the car?

When you turn the steering wheel the wheel turns about this axis, and these ball joint positions are fixed by the design of the wishbones.

No matter what is in between, the castor angle doesn't change.

The only way to change the angle is to move one or both of the ball joints, i.e. move or change the shape of a wishbone.

I would love to be wrong, honestly I would.

Atb
Paul G

Agriv8

posted on 22/8/07 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
You mean you need some of these.

I have a spare pair ( but up in Yorkshire ) going to telford at the weekend ( friday eve ) but this is too late.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

daviep

posted on 22/8/07 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
907 your are absolutley correct, the castor is dictated by the position of the ball joints. However (feel free to correct me anyone) the offset mushrooms will increase the amount the wheel trails behind the steering axis which will increase the amount of self centering. I think
worX

posted on 23/8/07 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Col,

If you aren't successful in getting any, I will take mine off my car for you to borrow. Obviously you will have to nip up for them so that you have them in time so just let me know.

Have U2U'd you my phone number.

cheers,
Steve

locoboy

posted on 23/8/07 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
Steve,

You have U2U

Agriv8

what you doing down here? im going to Harrogate on Friday afternoon/evening, i know where i would rather be, Telford or Yorkshire.....................

Thanks for the offer though.

[Edited on 23/8/07 by locoboy]

ATB
Locoboy

britishtrident

posted on 23/8/07 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
No such thing
Offset mushrooms HAVE NO EFFECT ON CASTOR.

They can only change the relationship between king pin inclination and camber

mistergrumpy

posted on 23/8/07 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Offset mushrooms HAVE NO EFFECT ON CASTOR

Quite a BOLD statement but think about it
Surely if you rotate the mushrooms inboard and outboard of the top ball joint then indeed camber is adjusted but if you position them so the hole is forward or rearwards of the top mount then this alters castor. Castor is usually the line drawn between the top and bottom wishbones but as said already with the use of the offset mushroom the hub will be trailing the top mount so the line of castor will have to be drawn between the bottom mount and the centre of the mushroom insert because the hub has actually tilted back further, thus affecting castor.

Agriv8

posted on 23/8/07 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
We reside in yorkshire.

Swmbo's parents and familly live in Telford. So have to travel to the land of roundabouts now and again. ( M6 bank holliday Friday MMMMmmmm nice )

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Macbeast

posted on 23/8/07 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
My guess would be that the castor is NOT affected by use of off-centre mushrooms.

The inportant thing is where the upright actually pivots, not what happens in between the pivot points.

(IMHO )

RickRick

posted on 23/8/07 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
on rc cars changing the upright changes our caster settings, and it's a combination of moving the top and the bottom mounts forward and aft.
procomp

posted on 23/8/07 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi as said only moving the ball joint crs will alter the castor. However moving the hole rearward will have other affects on camber kpi and trail effect.

The whole idea of it altering castor was dreamt up by MK to try and cure thier problems.

cheers matt

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 23/8/07 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the offers,

think its sorted

fingers crossed!

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.