Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mondeo V6 in a MK2 cortina ?
Andybarbet

posted on 10/9/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
mondeo V6 in a MK2 cortina ?

A friend of mine wants to put a newish engine into his MK2 2 door cortina, he has been offered an early mondeo 2.5 V6 lump, will this mate to a type nine with a pinto bell housing ???
If it does, does anyone have a bell housing going cheap near north Hertfordshire ? He already has the gearbox.
Cheers.....Andy

MikeR

posted on 10/9/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Rally Design do a bell housing for the Duratec I4 engine that will mate to the Type 9. Not sure if its the same bell housing pattern as the V6 - might be worth a call.

I'd expect the gearbox wouldn't last very long unless it was uprated with the V6.

donut

posted on 10/9/07 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Is a type 9 up to the job? Would an MT75 be better?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 10/9/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
can't change the bell housing on a MT-75 (well i think there where one or two specials made that could have the bell housing changed .... but i'd guess then you need a custom bell housing.)
Chippy

posted on 10/9/07 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
If you have the heavy duty type 9, then with the special bell housing you will be OK. If on the other hand you don't have the heavy duty one, it will last all of ten minutes, Cheers Ray
saigonij

posted on 10/9/07 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
you will have problems mating that to a ford gearbox.

a better option would be to use a Granada 24v engine. its bigger, produces more power, and mates to a 2.8 capri type 9. EFi system is easy to wire in, and you can mount it on a Cortina V6 cross member ( its an over sized 2.8 block ).

Chippy

posted on 10/9/07 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Granny/Scorpio 24v is old technology, it's also a bloody great big lump, may not go under the bonnet, so you end up with having to make a power bulge, to get it to fit. It is not easy to wire in, as you will require EEC IV, (later type), engine and car looms. It only makes 195bhp, as the BOA, or 207 as the BOB. Spares are "almost" unobtainable, and damd expensive. How do I know, well just rebuilding one to go in my Locost, and already wishing I had gone for the 2.5 V6. Duratec. Cheers Ray
britishtrident

posted on 10/9/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
2 litre Zetec would make more sense
saigonij

posted on 10/9/07 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
i guess its all relative your your skills. I have wired in 4 so far, the first one being in an old capri so its pretty easy if you are familiar with the ford ECU.

spares are expensive - the tensioner blade along cost me £100 and that was 4 years ago.

there is someone on here who has found teh right gearbox to use with it ( jag gearbox i think )

your right in saying its a tall motor, much more so than the 24v mondeo.

in a few years time i might swap my zetec for a 24v mondeo engine. not sure if it will fit in a velocity though. then again, if my mate jon can fit a viper in a viento, im sure i can squeeze in a duratec.

big_wasa

posted on 10/9/07 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
You would need an x type Jag gearbox. From what I have read.
RazMan

posted on 10/9/07 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
The MT75 will bolt straight on to the V6 Duratec and will easily handle the power. 200bhp is easily achieved with some basic mods.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 10/9/07 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
are you sure you mean the mt 75 and not the mtx 75?

didn't think the 2.5 v6 was ever fitted to a rear wheel drive car & i'm sure it has a different bell housing to the 'old' ford bell housing pattern.

RazMan

posted on 10/9/07 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Aren't the MT and MTX identical as far as bell housings are concerned then? I assumed they were - I could be wrong though.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Chippy

posted on 10/9/07 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
The MT75 is a definate no! no! for the V6 Duratec, as you can't change the bell housing, (cast in one), and as has been said the bolt pattern on the V6, (and all duratec's), is totaly different to all fords prior to it. It's the first time, to my knowledge, that Ford have ever changed there bolt fixing pattern. Ray
gazza285

posted on 11/9/07 at 04:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
It's the first time, to my knowledge, that Ford have ever changed there bolt fixing pattern

That's because they are Mazda based engines I seem to recall.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

major

posted on 11/9/07 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
How to do it and what problems I faced.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=64063

IMHO the only straight-bolt-on rwd gearbox to a duratec 25 or duratec 30.

marc.

MikeRJ

posted on 11/9/07 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Type 9 and MT75 will not bolt up to the V6 Duratec, though of course they could probably be made to fit with adpater plates or custom bellhousing for the Type 9.

The only RWD application for the V6 is in the Jag as mentioned by the major.

ettore bugatti

posted on 11/9/07 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, what about a Mazda gearbox?
MX5 or E2200

AndyH

posted on 11/9/07 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Scorpio 24v

In reply to Chippy on the 24v v6.
Granted the engine is a heavy lump, but this is where its strength is. The engine was originally designed for 300bhp in a road car, the test mule Granny could not cope with the power.
The engine mates with readily available gearbox's and in BOB form will be going long after the mondeo v6 has died.
Get rid of ford management, fit a decent zorst, and this engine will produce big reliable power whilst the mondeo v6 has meltdown trying to hack it.
Just ask Fitz at Top Boss in Derby.
The fox has just entered the henhouse. Is the farmer waiting with his 12 guage????

RazMan

posted on 11/9/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyH
Get rid of ford management, fit a decent zorst, and this engine will produce big reliable power whilst the mondeo v6 has meltdown trying to hack it.

Agreed - mine produces 202bhp and 180ft/lb with these mods.

Cheers,
Raz

Chippy

posted on 12/9/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
AndyH

Hi mate, while the 24v does produce "fairly" good bhp, you are "very" restricted on uping the power as the unit definately does not like to rev over about 6100, unless you have an unlimited amount of replacement blocks. My rev limiter is set at 5950 soft cut and 6050 hard. And as for Mr Fitz, well yes he does know his 24v's, but his prices are WAY out of my league, £40 for an oil filler cap, scrap yard £1 from a Zetec, (same cap, only plastic). All of the 24v's are no longer made, wonder why, most Ford engines get at least a twenty + year production run, (apart from the dogs, of which they produced a few). After rebuilding my BOA, which to date has cost me over £800, just in parts, (and not at Mr Fitz's prices), I can honestly say that regardless of length of running life, I would definately go for a Duratec V6 if I should ever be silly enough to do it all again, as with MS, and a bit of tweeking, bhp is pretty much the same. Sorry for the thread hyjack, Ray

[Edited on 12-9-07 by Chippy]

locost_bryan

posted on 13/9/07 at 04:27 AM Reply With Quote
ettore bugatti,

Mazda use a different bellhousing bolt pattern for every engine - the MX5 has a BP/B8, totally different pattern to the F2 in the E2200, and totally unrelated to the MZR (Duratec I4) or MZI (Duratec V6).

The only factory fit gearbox option for the Duratec V6 is the Jag S-type (Getrag), and for the I4 the Aisin 6-speed from the current MX5 or the Mazda M50-R1 from the US Mazda B2300 pickup (related to the RX7 turbo).

AndyH

posted on 13/9/07 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Chippy

Its great this!
Horses for courses and the merits for each motor could go on and on and on.....
Anyhow car looks nice and best of luck if your brave enuff to have a go at fitting the v6 mazdatec, if it will mate to the gearbox.
Its all "ifs", but very interesting.

Cheers,
Andy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.