Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: i have just read about a hand brake that works off 12 Volts????
Arthur T

posted on 12/9/07 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
i have just read about a hand brake that works off 12 Volts????

can any one tell me more and where i can find one and if it is SVA pass able?

[Edited on 12/9/07 by Arthur T]

Hellfire

posted on 12/9/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
The New VW Passat have them so must be...

Steve

RazMan

posted on 12/9/07 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
There's apparently quite a few cars with electric handbrakes.
Not sure about sva but I don't see why it should fail.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Arthur T

posted on 12/9/07 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
any idea where i find one?
Hellfire

posted on 12/9/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthur T
any idea where i find one?

Wreckers?

As a reasonably new introduction into modern cars you'll be luck to get one through SVA, not that SVA are out of date or anything you understand?? LOL

Steve

h2o

posted on 12/9/07 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Try looking for a scrapped renault megane scenic, we had one on our old one an 05 plate. I think renault have been using them for a few years, really weird to get used to.
blakep82

posted on 12/9/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
is the merc system electronic?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mark chandler

posted on 12/9/07 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Jags have them.

I believe its a solinode that holds the handbrake off, you still have to have a manual operation as in no fluid to leak out.

Regards Mark

smart51

posted on 13/9/07 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Lots of cars have Eelectric Parking Brake these days, particulary ones with flappy paddle gearboxes. You have a button on the dash rather than a lever on the tunnel. The good points are that it is always put on enough (not just 3 clicks from a lazy driver) and that there are no cables to adjust. The bad point is that you’re stuffed if the battery goes flat.

I thought they were stepper motors rather than solenoids. Could be wrong.

RazMan

posted on 13/9/07 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
If you do a search under 'Linear Actuator' you will find a few different options. They are basically a stepper motor connected to a gearbox and can exert over 100Nm of force.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoaoCaldeira

posted on 13/9/07 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
At least one member here produced an electric handbrake and passed SVA.

I don't know much about electrics, but there was a discussion of the type of motor used due to keep the wheels locked after 12v had been switched off (or the other way...)

Cheers,
Joao

02GF74

posted on 13/9/07 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
somehow that idea scares me

it can work in one of 2 ways; powered to keep handbrake on but if battery goesd flat or you loose a connection, your car rolls away.

or power to disengage it - so what happens if a battery lead goes astay when you are driving?

or some other way?
Ok, so a cable operated brake isnl;t going to anyting when driving but could snap when parked but I still feel safer with one.

R1 STRIKER

posted on 13/9/07 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
We took a car for sva last week and whilst there i was talking to the tester about handbrakes. He was saying they are nearly always the weak point on the braking system. I was asking particularly about hydraulic but the official answer was that it has to be mechanical!!!

Oh, The car passed 1st time. It was a RAW striker at cardiff SVA centre. Thanks Russel!

Ben.

Howlor

posted on 13/9/07 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I passed SVA with my 12v electric handbrake and it worked fine. Push button down to apply and push again for off. It used a wormdrive actuator so when the power was off it would hold something like 300kg pull on the cables so ample.

Steve

Vindi_andy

posted on 13/9/07 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
The one on my Cmax sounds like a worm drive also it goes on when you take the keys out the ignition so safe in that respect.

When applied if you loose power you have a cable release accessable through the centre console

adithorp

posted on 13/9/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
New Merc, VW and Audi ones are controled through an ECU and need special access tool to reset. Haven't come across one yet; just heard via trade press.

adrian

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 14/9/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
The Jag one uses screw actuators at the rear of the car and short cables to the hubs.

However you cant pull HBT`s with them (

blakep82

posted on 14/9/07 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
has anyone got any pics of an electric handbrake system? or where i can get the bits? i've been stuggling with working out how my handbrake system will work. an elctric system would work quite well...

I've got nowhere to mount the hand brake lever itself, the cable routing is not easy and electric acuators on the back axle working on short cables would be an interesting idea

either that or a brake disc on the prop shaft, but still, where to mount the handle?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.