Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1.4 16V Vauxhall - coil pack failing?
rayroni

posted on 13/9/07 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
1.4 16V Vauxhall - coil pack failing?

Have got a problem on my tintop - Year 2000 Astra 1.4 16V. Engine has started hesitating between 2-3K revs - but when I put my foot down it picks up nicely. Also when holding a steady throttle (tested in 4K revs area) feels like the engine is misfiring, not massively but it is there. Problem appears to be getting slightly worse. GM disagnostics have been connected and indicates no faults, EGR valve was opened and closed, to which the engine reponded as expected.

Its been suggested that the problem is most likely due to the coil pack failing, and that it should be replaced. What is the general opinion - do the symptoms match with that diagnosis?

Cheers guys.
Andy

D Beddows

posted on 13/9/07 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Not the same car but my Saab 9-5 had exactly those symptoms and it was the coil pack/DI cassette failing. A new one transformed the car

britishtrident

posted on 13/9/07 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you renew the coil pack also renew the plugs --- plugs demanding too high a voltage can cause the coil packs to start to fail.

http://www.ignitionleads.co.uk/Mod.aspx?Man=VAUXHALL%20OPEL

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

jimgiblett

posted on 13/9/07 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Prob Coil pack or Ignition Amplifier.

Have a look for pencil lines on the ceramic body of the plugs which suggests shorting due to knacker HT leads and can kill either of the above.

Best mail order Vauxhall prices I got was from Autovaux 01924 376003 (no connection just a satisfied customer)

- Jim

[Edited on 13/9/07 by jimgiblett]

NS Dev

posted on 13/9/07 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
amp is in the coil pack on 1400 16v

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

rj

posted on 13/9/07 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I have a few coil packs I dont need anymore (prior to getting the kit car I had a nova rally car, ran the 1.4 16 v engine but not the coil packs) £10 plus post if you are interested, U2U or 07792 309175
rayroni

posted on 21/9/07 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers RJ, but I decided that for what I could get one new (and with warranty) I'd get a new one.

Unfortunately a new set of plugs and new coil pack has not fixed the problem. Which means I'm now at head scratching stage again.

Have notice some additional symptoms.
Seems a little wierd but after I have taken the coil pack off and refitted old or new one the car is fine the first time out, the fault then comes back - all connections do look sound though. It does appear worse when the air temperature is higher. And the problem has got progressivly worse over a 2-3 month period.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Cheers, as always, Andy

iank

posted on 21/9/07 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
When that happened to me it was the EGR, but if it's checked then it should be OK.

Could be plug leads.
This thread shows it can also be the stepper motor
http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63293

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.