Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Damn, I screwed up big time.
sgraber

posted on 16/9/07 at 03:07 AM Reply With Quote
Damn, I screwed up big time.

The emotions went from ultimate high yesterday to very low tonight.

Yesterday I found out that my car doesn't need a windshield to be street legal in Arizona and I can get my license plate and tags as soon as I want. I also found out that rather that trailering to the inspection station they will give me a 3 day plate to use to drive the car there. Then I found out that they will not give the car a level 3 inpsection which I believe is similar to your SVA (well not quite so draconian) but instead are going to give it a level 1 inspection which is just a numbers check on the engine to make sure it's not stolen...

Tonight I decided to take the car for a blast around the block. Got her up to some serious speed ---- and I neglected to latch the rear cover ---- so off it flew, still attached by the hinge and so dragged behind the car for as long as it took me to lock up the brakes and get off the road.... Ohhhh FUuuuuuuu-dge. The rear edge of the decklid is worn down at a nice 45 degree angle, there are some fractures and the paint is hosed. How's them apples?

The good news is that the hinge held, the decklid closed back into position and I was able to drive home. Albeit at a lot slower pace. Probably a couple hundred dollars in damage and I'll be able to rebuild that back edge, cut out the fractured area and rebuild it. That's the nice thing about fiberglass, it's easy to work on.

What a shame...

Just goes to prove that we always get put back in our place whenever we feel like we have the world in our grasp... In this case it was me neglecting a detail.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sven

posted on 16/9/07 at 03:49 AM Reply With Quote
Very sad ... your car has turned out to be very special. I know you'll fix it and it'll be just as beautiful.

-Steve

"Lightheadedness through quickness"

NeilP

posted on 16/9/07 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
Steve,

I've done it. You've done it. We've all done it.

Knowing this doesn't stop you feeling like a proper numpty but hey - a.) It could have been far (far) worse and b.) you could be having to do the repairs and going through a level 3 test and getting it trailered...

Hang on a minute - You live in Arizona with hundreds of miles of fantastic roads at your disposal - Changed my mind - Don't have any sympathy whatsoever

p.s. Your car is a work of art...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

Peteff

posted on 16/9/07 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
No consolation but

At least it was behind you and didn't whack you on the head

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

clockwork

posted on 16/9/07 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I wonder if some sort of bonnet open light might be a good idea. I notice a number of people have damaged body parts when things have come adrift.
Sorry to hear about the damage.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin.
"Well if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" Morons the world over.

Locost/Kit builders info and FAQ website:- www.carbuilders.info

worX

posted on 16/9/07 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've done it mate, and it DID whack me in the head (luckily I was wearing my helmet!

Mind you I do have a gorgeous carbon bonnet now by Carbon Mods!

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
At least it was behind you and didn't whack you on the head

sgraber

posted on 16/9/07 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for the words of encouragement gentlemen. I know I can always count on feeling better whenever I get on this site. #1 because everyone seems to end up with problems of some sort and then resolve them and #2 everyone is pretty damn supportive.

Come to think of it, you could almost make a TV series out of this site, except for the fact that theres not enough back-stabbing going on! LOL

The idea of the light is awesome and I already have a door switch and a little blue light that would be very simple to wire up for that very purpose.

I am going to swap out to some external latches so that I can visually see that they are not latched, rather than the hidden ones I have now.

It would be most helpful if you could you please post up photos of nice external latches and where you bought them?

I think the rubber, t-handled type would be ideal...

Steve Graber

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Deckman001

posted on 16/9/07 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
You say you want external catches now so you can see them,, wasn't that the idea in the first place, so you can't see them and they don't spoil the stunning lines of the car, be honest do you really think you won't check the rear cover each time you get into the car in future ??

Think of it as a lesson in life to teach you to check each time in future !!

In my opinion, external catches would marr it's stunning looks

Jason

sgraber

posted on 16/9/07 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
You say you want external catches now so you can see them,, wasn't that the idea in the first place, so you can't see them and they don't spoil the stunning lines of the car, be honest do you really think you won't check the rear cover each time you get into the car in future ??

Think of it as a lesson in life to teach you to check each time in future !!

In my opinion, external catches would marr it's stunning looks

Jason

Well Jason, you make a strong argument!

I did have hidden latches, VW beetle pin latches. They are horrible don't handle any misalignment, and get stuck all the time. That's the reason the rear was unlatched, because I hated the latches and would leave them unlatched all the time.

But as usual I have an answer for you.

First off the rear decklid. I have the idea to place the t-handle rubber latches inside the cockpit on the vertical face of the gt-humps. One on each side. Right behind the seats. Simple enough to reach in there, and the rubber catches would provide a modicum of flexibility for vibration relief. The latches are these -
http://www.southco.com/product/partlist.aspx?cid=7415

I also would like to retool the front latches to include a visual cue and furthermore clamp the pieces together.

I'm thinking about these latches here front (and rear maybe) as they could be used for front and rear, have a nice design and a handle to assist lifting the decklids:

Or these much smaller units which would be very positive locking:

Steve Graber

Fred W B

posted on 16/9/07 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Oh man Steve, I can just imagine how you would feel

But don't worry, if you can make it you can fix it.

Re new catches, don't be tempted to fit spring loaded slam shut ones, as you then have to operate both catches at the same time to open, making it a two man job if they are on opposite sides of the car

I also hope to fit some hidden spring loaded devices to pull my rear clip shut, possibly in the door jam, and then have some discreet "rally pins" through the top surface of the rear deck as a second visual safety device.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Deckman001

posted on 16/9/07 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
The handles behind the seats sounds a great idea as you say , they wouldn't hurt the exterior lines, have you thought about some stays attatched to the rear lid so when opened it couldn't fall back and touch the floor ?? All though I guess this attatchment would have probably snapped under the extra loading of the speed factor

Jason

iank

posted on 16/9/07 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Another catch option.
http://www.aerocatch.com/

Sorry to hear about the damage, sure it will be back to its full glory soon.

[Edited on 16/9/07 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

thomas4age

posted on 17/9/07 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
been there done that. mechanic at the garage forgot to put the hinges back on the hood after the anual APK (dutch) inspection, Mischa drove of and at 50km whoosh, bey bey hood!

just a shame it happens, good luck rebuilding!

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

Spyderman

posted on 17/9/07 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I was also thinking along the lines of safety check straps to restrict how much the panel can open.
I have seen old inertia seat belts used for this. When opened slowly it offers no resistance, but tug on it and it locks up.

Spyderman

sgraber

posted on 18/9/07 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
As a 2nd safety device I could add a center located block and tackle (on the inside face of the gt humps) that you wrap a small rope around. Just like a rope on a boat.

Steve Graber

sgraber

posted on 20/9/07 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
The t-handle rubber latches. Qty 2. Cost $7 each.

Steve Graber

RazMan

posted on 23/9/07 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Steve, the Aerocatch was my choice. It has a built in tell tale - the handle sticks out unless locked shut. It can also be mounted completely flush and without visible fasteners (bonded from the inside)

[Edited on 23-9-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

sgraber

posted on 23/9/07 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I have seen those and they are LOVELY. Very light, strong, nicely engineered. But at $85 each, just a bit ridiculous pricewise. I could see them at 1/2 that price, but 85 clams!? get real.

Steve

Steve Graber

chriscook

posted on 23/9/07 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
$85 for a pair would be about what there are here in the UK I think. I am very happy with mine.
Ratman

posted on 28/9/07 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Some friends here in NZ have Sakers http://www.saker.co.nz/ and they have large crude latches for the rear cover that are located in the door jamb. You can't get the door closed unless the rear lid is closed and the latches locked. The latch mechanism juts out and stops the door being closed. Simple and effective. In a recent Targa here the rear cover of an Ultima opened up at speed and made the national TV news.

[Edited on 28/9/07 by Ratman]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.