Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HELP zx12r wont turn over
dano

posted on 22/9/07 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
HELP zx12r wont turn over

im trying to start my engine and cant work out why it wont.

i have a new fully charged battery
i have earthed pin 20 to bypass the stand and the cluch
i have put a 100 ohms resistor on the gray wire from ecu pin 39 to ignition

the dash comes on when i turn the key and the f1 light goes out after a second but when i turn the key to crank it the dash glows and the starter motor doesnt attempt to turn
i removed the pendulum from the down sensor as well and now ive ran out of ideas, anyone else got any?
please

stevec

posted on 22/9/07 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
When you say te dash glows, do you mean it goes dim?

If so you may have a bad earth or bad connection somewhere.
Steve.
Ps. what area of Cov are you?, I am in Coundon.

dano

posted on 22/9/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
the back light actually comes on, so the dash knows im trying to start it but the starter doesnt make a sound.
im in whitley

Hellfire

posted on 22/9/07 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Dano,

Do the clocks go into self-calibration? If not, they should and suggest something else is amiss.

I took out the plugs to make initial turnover easier then replaced the plugs and she started first time.

If the starter isn't even winding, I would start to look at the starter relay IIRC it has a 30A fuse... check this and proceed. HTH

Steve

dano

posted on 22/9/07 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
i dont know what self-calibration is but both the rev counter and speedo go up and back down when i turn it on.

i have removed the plugs and turned it over by hand a few times, i also have new spark plugs.

i will check the starter relay and fuse tommorow, cheers for the tip

Hellfire

posted on 22/9/07 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure the neutral light is on before attempting to start it.

Phil

Dangle_kt

posted on 22/9/07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dano
i dont know what self-calibration is but both the rev counter and speedo go up and back down when i turn it on.

i have removed the plugs and turned it over by hand a few times, i also have new spark plugs.

i will check the starter relay and fuse tommorow, cheers for the tip

I think he means self diagnoisis - the rev counter and or speedo sweep round and stay on a particular figure, or bounce between a couple of different numbers. Then its simply a case of googling the diagnosis codes for your bike engine.

IF you aint sure what gear you are in (possible dodgy nuetral light) then just try and start it with the clutch in.

check main fuse

depending on the starter motor config, you could remove it and see if it spins up with no load - thats if your confident the wireing is good.

Hellfire

posted on 22/9/07 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
On the ZX12R clocks, it's the FI light, not the tacho/speedo that indicates a fault (if there is one).

Unless you've carried out some electric wizardy, the ZX12R will only start whilst in neutral gear.

Phil

To edit what Phil says: the EMS is difficult to bypass (so I've been led to believe) but I still tried to bypass the neutral start but in the end gave up and it hasn't been a problem to make sure she's in neutral before pressing that button.

Steve

[Edited on 22-9-07 by Hellfire]

dano

posted on 23/9/07 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
yeah i did make sure it was in neutral and the light was on as was the oil light for some reason. but the f1 light isnt indicating a fault
dano

posted on 23/9/07 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
i now realise that the oil light is on because there is no pressure as it isnt running.

the main 30a fuse is ok, but i dont think the fuel pump is priming which i believe should happen the same time as the dash coming on

carpmart

posted on 24/9/07 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dano
i now realise that the oil light is on because there is no pressure as it isnt running.

the main 30a fuse is ok, but i dont think the fuel pump is priming which i believe should happen the same time as the dash coming on

It doesn't matter if fuel pump is not priming if your starter is not going or have you got the starter working now?

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

dano

posted on 24/9/07 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
no the starter still not working yet but i didnt know if it wouldnt until the pump is primed for 2-3 seconds the at the same time the dash comes on.
your right, i didnt think that should make a difference to the starter turning but there is that many safty locks i wasnt sure what checks are carried out before starting.

Smartripper

posted on 24/9/07 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

Fuelpump must selfprime for2-3 sec always when you put the ignition on.

I had the same problem, have you got the grey wire with the resistor on the switched side of the ignition key ???? I made a mistake there.... else the pump wouldn't selfprime and start.

Is the starter relais working when you start it ????
You could try the startermotor directly on the battery. to make sure it's not broke.

Maybe a bad earth or life wire ??

thomas4age

posted on 28/9/07 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
can anyone please explain the following,

does the starting system want every safety measure to be OK to start or just one of them?

I presume, to start it up

grey to ign via 100ohms
the side stand wire to ground (green / white)
green / black fro ECU to fusebox to ground

e voila the starter should engage.

what does the ECU do with the clutch engage info, just prohibit the starter to engage or also something else? (green red)

I'm testing Jon's zx12 electrics tommorow without the original dash, just a digidash from ETB

most importand to me can the engine be fired with only the gearbox in neutral? and the side stand up?

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.