Other please specify

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Elise or VX220
andrew-theasby

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Elise or VX220

Opinions please chaps, my mate is looking at buying either a vx 220 (2.2l NON turbo model 150bhp) or a Lotus Elise S1 111s (1.8 k series engine 140hp but bit lighter) Both around 8-10 grand, Theres not much in the perfromance between the two, but from a reliability point of view which should he get. Assuming running costs will be similar etc. He does drive his cars VERY hard and will be doing track days in it. Doesnt want a turbo really and its gona be his every day driver too, so weve narrowed it down to these two. All comments and experiences welcome. Thanks
speedyxjs

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't you prefer to say you have a lotus to be saying you have a vauxhall?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

speedyxjs

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry just read the rest of the post
You can pick up a good XJR for that money or even an early XK8

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

iank

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
VX220 anyone who calls themselves an enthusiast knows they are built on in the same factory. Except Vauxhall have, allegedly, better quality control. Bizarrely the Vauxhall is also the more exclusive, with shed loads of Elises on the road.

I prefer the looks of the VX220, but it's a very personal thing.

If you want to get very exclusive in an eccentric kind of way import the Daewoo version from Korea (pictures in my photo archive)

[Edited on 24/9/07 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

zilspeed

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
S1 Elise.

Basic 118bhp job. No mods

It's the only one I have ever driven and it felt very special. Besides, if it's going to be his daily drive, might as well go for the least stressed derivative. It will still feel special.

And.

To real aficionados, the original is always the best.

blakep82

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, i see where he's coming from, but one thing i can never get over with those type of cars, and MX5's etc, guys just don't look right driving them...

i say steer clear of either, but got no better suggestions. an E36 M3 maybe?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ghuncha

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
i will say the elise, but my opinion is not based on any reliability issues(as i dont know much of both cars) just i like elise
Big Stu

posted on 24/9/07 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I owned a 111s S2 for about a year and loved it. However the VX is much more useable than the lotus. I used mine as an almost every day car, it was reliable but leaked badly. If I was in the postion to buy another one I would go for the VX, bit heavier but more powerful and much more comfortable. But there would always be something at the back of my mind nagging me that it is a Vauxhall and not a lotus.

I am quite a big lad and found it easier to unclip the roof when getting out. This is not possible with the S1 and it can take about 5 mins to put the roof on the S1.

I cannot comment about the price for Vauxhall servicing but the lotus was about £180 for a small service and £350 for a major every third service. Only time mine was back to dealer was for a faulty alarm switch.

God I miss that car.

elise

posted on 24/9/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
s1 elise is lighter and more nimble than the vx even quicker due to weight
weekend fun car s1
daily hack vx

pathfinder

posted on 24/9/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
How about a Honda S2000, still a bit hair dresser but they are reliable and very quick.
shortie

posted on 24/9/07 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Personal preference, I had a S1 111s for two years and used it daily to commute to work, wish I'd never sold it (decided to build the blade).

I have friends with a VX22Turbo and it's really nice and as mentioned built on the Lotus chassis anyway.

Just comes down to what you like really, I like the Elise S1 but others like S2 or the VX.

All great cars.

Rich.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 24/9/07 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Give me the 2.2l Vauxhall engine over the 1.8l K-series any day thanks. For the odd track day i'd take the better everyday car.
Stott

posted on 24/9/07 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'd get the VX, more dealers, more support and a more useable product that's a match for the elise in every dept.

A friend drives a non turbo and it's excellent, another friend drives an S1 and its been nothing but grief, only 38K on the elise too!

My tuppence anywho...

myeates

posted on 24/9/07 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
the vx is a heavier car and more of a handfull if you get it wrong whereas the elise wont take as much to get used to and is the better car as it is far more planted, despite being built by the same company.

also as said before wouldnt you rather say you have a lotus instead of a vauxhall

smart51

posted on 24/9/07 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
the series 1 elise is more balanced as the engine is lighter. The VX has the heaviest engine and so is more rear heavy. about 60% or 65% if memory serves.

the series 2 elise with the non kit car front lights is built in the same factory as the VX but on different production lines, one down either side of the building. They're not exactly the same.

Lightning

posted on 24/9/07 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
VX220 is supposed to be better. Although why not a TVR......Biased...me ....noooo.

But a choice between the 2....The elise

[Edited on 24/9/07 by Lightning]

Steve

Fozzie

posted on 24/9/07 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well...I can only speak for the VX220 Turbo.... which isn't in the poll above..... ours is a newer version with 200 bhp, which is more than plenty

Having driven many cars over the years, and raced quite a few, it does NOT suffer 'turbo lag'... but as said above they do take some getting used to.

Ours does not leak at all, and we have just done a 2,000 mile round trip to John O Groats (and Highlands) trouble free and very enjoyable..

The insurance group of the VXT is 19, don't know about the N.A. (naturally aspirated) though......

Which ever he chooses, I am sure he will have fun ...... but tell him toget used to it first!

ATB Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

RazMan

posted on 24/9/07 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Purely a personal opinion from me - I hardly give an Elise a second glance on the road but when I see a VX220 I am drawn to it. The lines are more agressive than the Lotus which appeals to me.
I think many people can't see past the badge and brand snobbery influences a lot of people's decision.

[Edited on 25-9-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 24/9/07 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
The Vauxhall is less twitchy but is also softer and has some understeer, The Elise S1 is less forgiving of fools. The early Elise with the less pedestrian friendly front had the looks of a mini GT40 --- the biz.

With the Elise the K16 engine MUST NOT be revved hard from a stone cold start, although if the engine has been retro fitted with the PRT thermostat this much less of a problem.

With the Elise the inlet manifold gasket should be reagarded as a service part and change at least every 60,000 miles/5 years at the same time as the cam belt.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Simon

posted on 24/9/07 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
If it was me, I'd spend the 10k on a TVR. As it's not, I'd probably go for the Lotus, though as I've had experience of neither, my opinion is only based on looks (and the k series).

ATB

Simon

Hammerhead

posted on 24/9/07 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
This week I have aquired a s1 elise, it's a P reg, but has only done 6100 miles and has been in a garage since 2000 (last tax disc expired 04 00)
It's got the 190bhp k series engine on janvey throttle bodies, lowered suspension, 6 point harnesses and race seats.

The cars got about 1/2" of dust on it at the moment, but is being picked up by the lotus dealer to change all the fluids, service it and check everythings bolted down properly.

Can't wait to get it on the road!

Hope it doesn't divert me from the indy build too much!

tell your mate to get the elise, but make sure the engine in up to temp before giving it hammer.

andrew-theasby

posted on 24/9/07 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replys, some good points there. Weve been through most the other alternatives and ruled a lot out for one reason or another, whether it was insurance (25yrs old so not too much of a problem) or reliability (tvr- sorry ) and fuel bills (Z3M, jag etc, not too much of an issue, but elise and vx do do pretty good figures for our 25 mile journey to work!)looks wasnt much of an issue as he wants a drivers machine more than for posing, but it is true about looking a bit girly. Considered mx5, but just prefer elise or vx, and the s2000 is another close contender, but dont know how racey they are really, dont see many on track so not much to go on there. so far elise is winning the vote, but opinions on the vx sound the better car...
chris taylor

posted on 24/9/07 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
VX220

Hi mate, I've owned a VX 220 for the past 2 years and absolutly love it.
Cheap insurance, drive it like you stole it and it still returns 30MPG.
No problems with it, such an underated car, I have owned Siera Cosworth's, westfields etc and quite honestly they don't compare.
Forget the badge stigma and get one bought, my only regret is that I didn't buy one earlier,

regs, Chris

russbost

posted on 24/9/07 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
An old (& let's face it we're not talking new here) K series is a disaster waiting to happen IMHO. Once they start blowing head gaskets they just gradually deteriorate - Lotus even had a special gasket made but tho that improves things it doesn't stop it. In the long term the VX has to be a better bet.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 24/9/07 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Elise is to much of hairdressers car, go for the VX, much more exclusive and look great!

If you want a Lotus you would have to go for an exige, much better looking than the soft looks of the elise Plus a much better drivers car! but a little more expensive

VX220 Got my vote

[Edited on 24/9/07 by iscmatt]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.