Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hilux / KC Daylighter Problem
MattCraneCustoms

posted on 27/9/07 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hilux / KC Daylighter Problem

I know its not seven related, but auto electrics all the same. I have a '97 Toyota Hilux pickup, and have recently wired a set of daylighters up. I wired them correctly, tapping into the main beam feed on the lights. Without the engine running, the lights are perfect, coming on with main beam.
However, with the engine running, the lights also come on with the side lights. I guess this is due to the alternator supplying over 5 volts, switching the relay over. Would I able to put a resistor inline with the main beam feed to knock the voltage down, or is there any other way of sorting the side light problem? Would another relay somehow linked in solve it?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

nitram38

posted on 27/9/07 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds more like you have selected the wrong wire to the main beam?
Try a test meter on the wires directly at your headlight and take your relay feed from there.

RazMan

posted on 27/9/07 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
I agree - the sidelights will probably be on the wrong side of a relay. Time to get your meter out I reckon

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MattCraneCustoms

posted on 27/9/07 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi both, thanks for the replies. The feed is taken directly from the headlamp; The tricky part is that I think toyota use some negative grounding system, but I've had a look with the meter, as I used it to wire them, but the problem only occurs when the engine is running. I'll have to go back and double check everything now I've had a break!
RazMan

posted on 27/9/07 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MattCraneCustoms
The feed is taken directly from the headlamp; The tricky part is that I think toyota use some negative grounding system,

That doesn't make any sense to me - Negative ground is standard on most cars so that's not the problem. If you have picked up a 12V feed to trigger the spots' relay, then the relay must be incorrectly wired somehow. Where are you getting the main feed from? Direct from the battery of from the fusebox? Possible you've picked up a sidelight feed there?

[Edited on 27-9-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andybod

posted on 27/9/07 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
you do have to wire the spotlamps differentley on most jap 4x4's i have a wiring diagram for the relay at work i'll sort it out tomorrow but you would need to pull power from 2 points on rar of lamps
omega 24 v6

posted on 27/9/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yep the last Diahatsu jeep I did had a 12v live at the light (where the neg would usually be) and two switched negatives for the lights to come on.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

MattCraneCustoms

posted on 27/9/07 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
switched neg that's what I meant sorry Raz!! If you could get that wiring diagram for me andybod it would be very useful to have something as a point of reference.

Thanks again all,

Matt

hillbillyracer

posted on 27/9/07 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, loads of Jap stuff is switched on the negative side. Fooled me for a while 10 years ago on an old Subaru I had that the headlights kept coming on on their own!
Could it be there's a Dim-Dip relay involved somewhere? They put dip beam on but only on a dim setting when you drive with the sidelights on.
You may already know of this site but if not it may be of use:
http://www.hpoc.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.