Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dunning and Fairbank Propshafts
DarrenW

posted on 27/9/07 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Dunning and Fairbank Propshafts

Hello All,

Just posting this for Dunning and Fairbank. I do some business for them and find them a great bunch to deal with. If you are in need of a propshaft or other drive train products you cant go far wrong giving them a try.

Here is the website link
http://www.propshafts.co.uk/

I know the usual questions from first time builders are how do you specify what you need. This is what Jon told me he will need to know;

"We build quite a few kit car shafts for MNR & others.

Most kits seem to have bike engines nowadays so basically we need to know the following:

Are they utilizing a reverse gearbox?

If they are we need the distance from the gearbox flange to the reverse box flange face which gives us the working length.

We then need the distance from the rear of the reverse box to the diff flange face and the type of diff they are using, mainly sierra but some seem to be using freelander diffs now.

If they don’t have a reverse box they need a 2pc shaft setup.

We need the distance from the gearbox flange to the centre of the centre bearing mounting and from the centre of the bearing mount to the diff flange face as above.

If it is a conventional Ford engined kit we need the gearbox type and diff type and the working length from the oil seal on the gearbox to the diff flange face.

This should cover most applications."

On top of that it could be worth indicating what the cars main use will be and horsepower output.

I hope you find this a useful reference.

Regards,
Darren.

DaveFJ

posted on 27/9/07 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I had my driveshaft made up by these guys and can heartily reccomend them. Excellent service and not too expensive.

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

x_flow57

posted on 27/9/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I am waiting for delivery at the moment, very helpfull on the phone and the best price quoted (CEC).
Nick

DaveFJ

posted on 27/9/07 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just remember... the label on the shaft will say 'grease before use' ... grease it BEFORE trying to fit! I didn't and am having a bitch of time trying to grease it now it's fitted

[Edited on 27/9/07 by DaveFJ]

Dave

MikeR

posted on 27/9/07 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
daft question, on a ford gearbox they say "oil seal" do they mean the physical end of the box (ali housing) or the bit a few inches up the splined section?
Macbeast

posted on 27/9/07 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Notta daft question Mike, I was wondering that too.

And I guess it means the engine and gearbox have to be in before ordering the shaft. Bugger, I was hoping to fit the shaft first. Aren't there standard measurements for shop-bought chassis?

But would I trust them ?

Hmmmm

[Edited on 27/9/07 by Macbeast]

DaveFJ

posted on 27/9/07 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I used the standard Tiger avon dims from the book when ordering mine.. it was pretty close and only just fits! so best to temporarily install Gbox and diff and take a measurement!

Also when you finally fit it don't do what I did and fit the GBox and diff then try to fit the shaft in between! Doh! there just isn't enough play work it in there!

Dave

Jimbob

posted on 27/9/07 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
I used them too and quality is second to none
Colin McRae used them for his personal toys so i hear which speaks for its self!

James

big_wasa

posted on 27/9/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ordered mine last night
Avoneer

posted on 27/9/07 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
They made me a great prop to my spec.

But....

One of the weights fell off recently, and may have been the cause of the bolt at the front working loose (BEC).

I emailed them over 3 weeks ago and still had no repsonce so I just welded the plate back on.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 27/9/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC John Beardmore who comes on here now and again and also builds mad moggy minors used to work for them

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 1/10/07 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Dunning and Fairbank

Yes I worked there for many years. They did and still do a lot of motorsport props.

When I worked there I worked on props for the World Rally Champion, European Saloon Circuit Race Champion, many National rally cars and so many kit car props.

I know they still do top end motorsport.

Its good to hear that they are still providing a top service.

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.