Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Bloody MK
paulmw

posted on 2/10/07 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody MK

Having spoken to MK 2 weeks ago they agreed that they could fit my car in to wire it up. (I know its a cop out)

Just come off the phone now and they said it wont be till after Xmas

Does anyone know a motor electrician or other company that could help

VinceGledhill

posted on 2/10/07 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Do it yourself and save some money. One circuit at a time and you won't go wrong. Ask on here and if you would like to give me a ring for a natter then U2U me for number.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

SyKaTurbo

posted on 2/10/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Probably better doing it yourself i'd say!
ash_hammond

posted on 2/10/07 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
I third that, do it your self.

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

jos

posted on 2/10/07 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I know its daunting but you've built the rest of it so far and if you've enjoyed the build so far then the satisfaction you'll get from doing it all will be huge

as everybody else has said have a go yourself by doing one circuit at a time. I started off with the rear lights

one tip is to use a spring loaded panel clamp on one of the battery connectors so that if a cable starts to get warm or smoke or theres a spark you can disconnect the battery very quickly to investigate. it saved my loom on 2 occasions

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

BenB

posted on 2/10/07 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
DIY.
It's easy if you take it slowly and think logically.
You can also test the loom using a cheap 9v pp3 battery. It won't give enough oomph to smoke the loom. If there's a short the battery will get very hot!!! Obviously it also won't have enough oomph to power headlights, wiper motors etc. But for a quick test it's a reasonable way of testing for shorts...

Howlor

posted on 2/10/07 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Second everyone else. Rather than connecting it to a battery just connect a battery charger in place of the battery that way there is very little damage you can do as you don't have the current.

I can email you a circuit diagram that shows you how most of the circuits work.

Then what I would suggest is that each night you post any problems and we'll have a go at sorting them out for you. Some pointers to start with, generally the horn is a switched earth this means all you need is a fused positive to one contact then the other is an earth that runs through your button etc.

Make plenty of labels up with masking tape so you can label up the loom on the kitchen table before hand. Then place the loom to each point on the car and tie wrap it roughly in place.

If you were closer I could come across and give you a hand.

Steve

mookaloid

posted on 2/10/07 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a loom from Premi er Wiring

It comes with easy to follow instructions and Alan is at the other end of the phone and is happy to answer questions from customers.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

ditchlewis

posted on 2/10/07 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
As mookaloid says but a loom and follow the instructions.

I was terrified of wiring but bought a loom and fitted it myself.

followed the instructions and with a few minor glitches the jobs done and i'm pleased as punch that i did it myself.

if there is a problem now i know where to look

go on you know you want to

if i can do it any one can....
ditch

Howlor

posted on 2/10/07 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add. Items that are worth buying before you have a go at it.

A reasonable multi meter with continuity testing. This will allow you to easily check if you have 12v or nothing!

Then I would by some decent fastenings to clip the loom in place, some lengths of various size heat shrink and some crimp on ring terminals to use as earth points.
I would also get some crimp on covers to finish off unused wires from the loom, I don't know the proper name for them!

Try these!

Closed end connectors at the bottom of the link page.

Steve

worX

posted on 2/10/07 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul, I know you are set on having someone do it for you, so...

The guy who owns/runs Polevolt (an electrical supply company - website is http://www.polevolt.co.uk ) is a spot on fella, and only down the road from you.

Give him a call and ask him how much he would charge.
But when you do, prepare for the worst as he only usually does jobs for race teams and historic & top end Ferraris etc. He also only makes full looms, so he won't just hack a bit off yours and cobble it together, so making a full loom is always also going to cost more.

He wired up his son's Megablade and the loom is like a work of art - I know it's sad to think that way but it really is...

Steve

ps I've also sent you a U2U.

dan__wright

posted on 2/10/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
dont get me started on mk at the moment.

ive been waiting for my prop for 7 weeks, during that time its been made and sent then not made then made but not sent, then will send tomorrow then forgot to send it but sent this morning

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

02GF74

posted on 2/10/07 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Howlor
Just to add. Items that are worth buying before you have a go at it.

A reasonable multi meter with continuity testing. This will allow you to easily check if you have 12v or nothing!

maplins are selling digital voltmeter (DVM) - two for £ 5.99 - cheaper than buying a 9v battery!

I mean, come on, how difficult is it to pull a piece of wire around a chassis and connect something to it at both ends?

Star with one wire, then the next and the enxt and before you know it, lots of smoke!! sorry meant finished loom!

whitestu

posted on 2/10/07 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if this is an option, but I used the Sierra donor loom on mine which was pretty easy.

Stu

paulmw

posted on 2/10/07 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan__wright
dont get me started on mk at the moment.

ive been waiting for my prop for 7 weeks, during that time its been made and sent then not made then made but not sent, then will send tomorrow then forgot to send it but sent this morning

Snap, coupled with not wiring the car, the front wing brackets are wrong, the sprocket adapter doesnt fit and the brackets they made for the rad are too short - Rubbish

Thanks for the posts of encouragement. I would really prefer to shell out a few hundred quid just to get me started. I know not particularly Locost but each to their own.

I suppose I have just got a bit p*ss**d off with the build as nothing bloody fits and I have a bike loom that is more complicated than the space shuttles starting sequence

Paul

omega 24 v6

posted on 2/10/07 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Go for it yourself there are plenty of us on here to help you out. Besides that do you really want to give the MIGHTY (in dsome eyes) Mk more of your hard earned cash when they've just piddled you off????

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

vinny1275

posted on 2/10/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
You could try speaking to MNR - they get a guy to make theirs who does WRC car looms. I bottled it and went for one of theirs with the kit, and it's great. Clearly labelled and colour-coded, with the fusebox and relays in as well. That was easily worth the money in my eyes. I could have done it, but not to the same standard, and probably not without wiring the headlamps to the fan or something..

HTH

Vince

eccsmk

posted on 2/10/07 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
ive just finished fitting a 2004 zx12r loom to my mk and it wasn't a bad job really mainly due to the folks on here!!
altho it would be easier to get some one to do it
hope it goes well

Toady1

posted on 3/10/07 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
if you're using the bike wiring loom etc its actually quite easy! give it a go!
Digger Barnes

posted on 8/10/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
On the Indy I have it was wired by MK (well thats what the previous owner said), I have just rewired it myself as the job they did was shall we say not a work of art.
PAUL FISHER

posted on 8/10/07 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Digger Barnes
On the Indy I have it was wired by MK (well thats what the previous owner said), I have just rewired it myself as the job they did was shall we say not a work of art.

I very much doubt it was done by MK sportscars then

Digger Barnes

posted on 8/10/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
quote:
Originally posted by Digger Barnes

I very much doubt it was done by MK sportscars then

mmmmmmmm

welderman

posted on 8/10/07 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
ive had first hand of MK's electrical genius and he is just that a genius, brilliant workman ship.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.