Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stick on number plate -
Shamrock GS

posted on 20/10/07 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Stick on number plate -

Does anyone know where I can get the vinyl numbers and background etc to make up a stick on front plate to go directly on the nosecone rather than having to mount a made up plateG

Cheers

Gary

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

mookaloid

posted on 20/10/07 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Very hard to get hold of nowadays - something to do with the laws on number plate making etc.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Paul (Notts)

posted on 20/10/07 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I’m sure they are not legal – but lots of people use them. When mines sva soon I plan to do the same!

Paul

Ps – don’t know where to get them.

Shamrock GS

posted on 20/10/07 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Getting that impression - tried Halfords and asked if they would just sell me the vinyl letters but no luck

Gary

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Jon Ison

posted on 20/10/07 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
A local caravan/camping place may help, take log book with you and see how you go.

There is a thread on pistonheads where a car as failed its mot due to not having postcode and BS mark on plate, even though the plate was ok, correct spacings, fonts etc.........

edit to add have had all my plates made by fanceyplates search em on web, my front one is very small and doesn't look odd like a full sized one would, to date had no problems regards MOT or plod, in fact i think you will find for MOT reasons there is a weight that if under it a front plate isn't required, anyone confirm ?

The MOT regards plates changed I believe beginning of this month regards postcodes & BS mark, i also believe it applies from a certain manufacture date on so age related plates may be ok ? Again, any MOT testers on here ?

[Edited on 20/10/07 by Jon Ison]

tegwin

posted on 20/10/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
If you can find a friendly signmaker they should be able to cut the letters out of the correct vinyl for a few quid...

Or failing that, just buy the coloured vinyl and a very sharp knife and cut them out yourself... Cant get any more lo-cost than that

Jon Ison

posted on 20/10/07 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Pistonhead thread here.
BenB

posted on 20/10/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Mine were made up by http://www.no1showplates.co.uk/

I know other people have used
http://www.craigsplates.com/self-adhesive-flexible-non-acrylic

They're of dubious legality.. but you'ld be unlucky to get done for it....

nitram38

posted on 20/10/07 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I bought mine of a seller in the kit parts section of ebay.
Mine was the correct size with a reflective background.

rusty nuts

posted on 20/10/07 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Regulations changed at the beginning of October for vehicles registered after September 2001, Size, shape and spacing of letters apply as well as suppliers name and post code and also the BS number. The only cars I have failed so far have been Porsches and BMWs whose owners think that laws don't apply to them because it was OK last year!
BenB

posted on 20/10/07 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like I'll be fitting a "supplementary" regulation number plate for the MOT then.... Might leave the old flexible one in place in case they ever change the rules back to how they used to be Or in case the other one ever fell off....
PhilCross66

posted on 20/10/07 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Local hardware shop by me sells sticky front and rear plates and 2 sizes of letters, looks like he's had them in for years, was hoping to make my plates there
RazMan

posted on 20/10/07 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Your local sign shop will have all the right materials and will make a set in no time (mine were done in 10 mins) Individual letters never look quite right imo.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 20/10/07 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
The PH thread is a bit worrying though
speedyxjs

posted on 20/10/07 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Just get your local sign writing place to do them for you and if you get stopped just plead ignorance

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

RazMan

posted on 20/10/07 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Jeeez they will make furry dice compulsory next

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chriscook

posted on 21/10/07 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
You might be able to find a sign writing place that does number plates too that might be able to do it with correct spacing, font etc. I would suggest you do your best to comply with the spirit of the law - you're probably unlikely to be done for it on its own. Although if you've been driving badly, have other things wrong with your car, no tax etc then I'd suspect it'd get added to the charges.
Grimsdale

posted on 21/10/07 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I got one a few weeks ago from my local number plates shop with no hassle, the guy said i'd have to sign a disclaimer that the plate would be illegal, although that never materialised.
If i ever get booked on it then i'll take teh hit and replace it, but it's not happened in 24k miles of driving so far (and my old one was not even a legal font).

Shamrock GS

posted on 21/10/07 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just found a supplier with a good line on legality - see new posting

'Stick on plates - the solution'

Gary

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.