Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: ARDS, Any tips?
andylancaster3000

posted on 23/10/07 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
ARDS, Any tips?

Well, finally gone and done it. Booked my ARDS test at Thruxton for this Friday having been given a clean bill of health by the doctor.

So, any tips and hints? On the theory side I've been told that it is mainly flags that they are worried about but are there any other areas which its really worth reading up on. Watched the DVD a large number of times now so I'm hoping things should be ok on that side of things.

Cheers,
Andy

nitram38

posted on 24/10/07 at 05:08 AM Reply With Quote
The most important thing to do is relax when doing your laps. The instructor is after you doing smooth laps rather than trying to wring the neck out of the car!
As long as you listen to your instructor and don't try to impress him with your "sienna" driving style, you will pass !

stevetzoid

posted on 24/10/07 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Biggest thing is the flags make sure you know them no mistakes!!. Then on the laps just make sure you listen to the instructor he wants to know you will be safe out there. Should be no problem.
Regards Steve.

procomp

posted on 24/10/07 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Hi they have let him ^^^ out on to the circuits. So you should be fine. ( hi steve)

As the others have said it is straight foward and the questions are multiple choice and if you read them a few times youll find fairly logical.

Also if you are not shure on anything just ask the instructor. They are there to help and not send you home without a licence.

cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Robster

posted on 24/10/07 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Did my ARDS on Saturday at Mallory (so look out you Locosters, I'll be joining you next year!!)

As the others say the two important things are
a) flags - you must know all the flag meanings (and the difference if held stationary or waved)
b) steady contolled laps in the car

The theory test is pretty straightforward if you know the flags, have watched the video & apply common sense!

On my theory test I had to get all the flags plus a few additional safety related questions all correct, and then 75% of the "general" questions correct.
As long as you've watched the video (they make you watch it again on the day) you should be fine. All of us taking it on Sat passed, don't worry, they are there to help you get through not fail you.

Good luck,
Rob.

speedyxjs

posted on 24/10/07 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck with the test

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Fozzie

posted on 24/10/07 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Andy...you will be fine....

Just make sure you know your flags, and read the questions carefully before answering...

The practical, as already said, listen very carefully to your instructor.

Above all.....have FUN !!!!!!!

Knowing you....I know you will be fine!

ATB Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

andylancaster3000

posted on 27/10/07 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well, don't know what I was worried about! Wasnt overly challenging and had a cracking afternoon all in all. Instructors were very good and can't praise them enough really. Only did three laps in the end which in hindsight was probably a good thing as it would only give me more of a chance of balls-ing it up!
A very fast circuit indeed, would quite like to have a go at racing there. It's just a shame they don't run track or test days there.

Anyway, must go and get the car finished now!

Cheers all,

Andy

procomp

posted on 28/10/07 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Well done.

So hopfully we will see you out in the 750 next year then. Is it kits or locost you are building for.

cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fozzie

posted on 28/10/07 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Andy...

I just knew you would be fine!...glad you enjoyed it.........now hurry up and get that car finished!

ATB Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

andylancaster3000

posted on 28/10/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers people. Yes must get the machine finished now.

Procomp: The plan is to run it in the kits. Have a couple of issues however. Firstly, eligabilty of chassis. In the regs it says that to run a locost chassis it must conform exactly to the locost class regs (and be over 1587cc). Now, our chassis does so except for the fact that it is has an ally floor and doesn't have a full cage. Now considering that these are both acceptable on other chassis's and that we are in no way going to be that competitive, I'd hope that these wouldn't be a problem. What do you think? I suppose that I'm going to have to give either Robin or Keith a bell to ask.

Cheers,
Andy

procomp

posted on 29/10/07 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Hi yes the chassis and suspension must comply with locost regs. But the ali floor and rollcage are as you say different and to be honnest although i think you would get away with both I would ask kieth as he is the head of RTC and his word is final as such.

Also just looked in your archive and see you are running a cvh. We spent many years building and running these engines for Mike Topp and others in the kits formula and i have allsorts of bits and pieces in the workshop for them. If theres any thing you need for one give me a shout as they are just sat there gathering dust.

cheers Matt

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.