Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hypothetical abs bypass...
robby

posted on 30/10/07 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
hypothetical abs bypass...

say, for the sake of argument, there's a guy wi an old xr4x4, that's been running all year wi the abs warning light on. say he then puts it for mot, it fails for said light. say he then pulls the connection off the light, but the tester then spots it doesn't come on for the 2 secs or so for the bulb test with the ignition. knowing the whole abs system is kaput (£££), how could the warning light be made to come on, then go off after a couple of seconds, looking like all is well? cheers!
smart51

posted on 30/10/07 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Could he not get a replacement ABS lump from a scrap yard?

What would the legality of converting his car to non-ABS be?

robby

posted on 30/10/07 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
think it's the sensors. as it's a theoretical case, no too worried about legalities!
matt_claydon

posted on 30/10/07 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
You could remove the sensors AND the ABS pump and then the vehicle is no longer fitted with ABS so it does not have to work. Depending on the system design this may leave you with a dangerously unstable braking system where the rear wheels will lock first - not good!

[Edited on 30/10/07 by matt_claydon]

MikeR

posted on 30/10/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
if its fitted it must work .....

i had a similar problem with mine, luckily the light stayed off for the whole test.

If its just the sensors won't it be more hassle to 'frig' something that just replace them? Plus you'd then get working ABS.

robby

posted on 30/10/07 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
aye, maybe, but don't want to spend any more, second car, and don't think it'll go through next year...
Fatboy Dave

posted on 30/10/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Or do what the enterprising owner of my last Rover 800 Vitesse did when an ABS sensor went down. He cut the tracks to the ABS lamp in the cluster, and soldered wires to the oil pressure warning light bulb PCB tracks...

Hey presto, on with the ignition, off when the engine is running...

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

bilbo

posted on 30/10/07 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
The MOT test is there for the safety of us and the road users around us. In my opinion it is an absolute no no to try and trick an MOT tester into thinking something is working fully when it's not - particually when it's something as vital as the brakes.

I really think that the ABS system should be fixed properly. I guess you could remove the whole of the ABS systems and replace with a straight through system, but could you get the F/R balance right? If the car is designed to have ABS, what's your stopping going to be like without it?

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

robby

posted on 30/10/07 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
car has driven fine for last year without it. anyway, this is all hypothetical, i wouldn't dream of trying to pull a fast one... and on the previous reply, thought of thatb but should it not go out itslf after a couple of secs? the hypothetical tester is already suspicious of it...
JAG

posted on 30/10/07 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

the hypothetical tester is already suspicious of it...

Seems to me like he has bloody good reason too be...

...hypothetically of course.

Also 'hypothetically' I think your a bit daft not to just fix it and take your silly questions elsewhere

[Edited on 30/10/07 by JAG]

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

robby

posted on 30/10/07 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
ha ha! let he who is without sin cast the first stone! just the tight farmer in me... as i say, it'll be the same as last year, and i didn't run anyone over then...
speedyxjs

posted on 30/10/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robby
aye, maybe, but don't want to spend any more, second car, and don't think it'll go through next year...

Ebay or donor?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

robby

posted on 30/10/07 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
shoulda just asked how to make a light come on and off by itself, and not said why... maybe i could start another thread, and the mot police won't spot it?!
matt_claydon

posted on 30/10/07 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
As mentioned above, an ABS-equipped vehicle with a faulty systems /can/ be potentially dangerous as the system may be left unbalanced such that the rear wheels lock before the fronts. When this happens the vehicle will very quickly spin with little possibility of correction from the driver.

Having a failed ABS systems is not the same as driving a non-ABS version of the same car, as these will be fitted with mechanical brake force distribution valves to lower the pressure to the rear. (The ABS-equipped versions may also have proportioning valves but it's not guaranteed).

JAG

posted on 30/10/07 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

the mot police won't spot it?!

If by 'MOT Police' you mean concerned, fellow road users then please include me in that group.

Also don't misunderstand our intent, it's for your safety as well as ours/everyone elses

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

robby

posted on 30/10/07 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
hmm... looks like it's the long way round then... nice to see you're all so concerned with my safety though!
02GF74

posted on 30/10/07 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I thought this was going to be about liposuction!

anyway does your abs system have a diagnostic system?

if so, query it as it will tell you the fault.

my volvo told me it was brake sensor, had it replaced, despite what the so called volvo expeerts said, i.,.e telling me it needs new ecu and lamp was off.

to fudge it, you would need a 555 device set as a timer - in simplest form it could be used to turn on a lamp for a given time after power on. more fancy could make it flash one or two times.

dunno how easy it is to get to your dahs but that could well be a lot of effort. the time would be better spent looking to find the fault - the sensors are the usual culprits.

if you fudge, make sure you remove the ciurcuit - then if an accident is casued, who is to say when the ABS failed.

I should really have asked if you travel on the same roads as me prior to respongding.

vindicator

posted on 30/10/07 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
of course all hypothetical, but if you are driving round Inverness, then there is a hypothetical chance you won't be driving round the Midlands where I'll be alright jack!!!
robby

posted on 30/10/07 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
cheers 02gf74 (?), but started stripping now. (the car, not me) but what's a 555?! and no, there's no much chance of me sliding into either of you... will let you's know if i'm heading south.
02GF74

posted on 30/10/07 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, if you are askingwhat a 555, then I probably should not be telling you about it.

It is a generic device that with a few external components can be used to product pulses of defined length, oscillators and other time related stuff.

Without spending too much time on this, one possbile circuit is the one I have shown below, it is the last circuit called 1 second one shot monostable oscillaotor (try saying that after 4 pints and a madras! ) .

The switch would be a piece of wire in your case so effectively it is closed when the circuit is powered up.

when power is applied, say igntion is turned on, the lamp would remain on for 1 second.

robby

posted on 30/10/07 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
oh yeah, the one second, one shot, monostable oscillator. how did i no think of that myself? got one under the bench... s'pose i did ask - thanks anyway!
MikeR

posted on 30/10/07 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I thought all cars where designed to fail to safe - therefore if the ABS fails the car will handle like a non ABS car with the fronts getting more stopping power than the rears?

I'm worried now cause one of my ABS sensors is occasionally a little flakey. I've been happy driving the car cause of that assumption (and the fact i'm used to non ABS cars, i've only had the ABS pump kick in once when i tried decided to try and make it kick in so i knew what it felt like).

robby

posted on 30/10/07 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
i'm with you on that mike, mine locks the fronts first. i prefer trying it to see what it does, rather than hoping it'll do what it should! hopefully abs sorted tomorrow though... bloody cars...
mark chandler

posted on 30/10/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
If its a classic range rover then bin the abs, buy a non abs master cylinder and plumb the pipes in, total cost £85.

This is okay if ABS was an optional extra, so ypu need to look at the really basic models to see if they had ABS.

Regards Mark

redscamp

posted on 30/10/07 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
a sierra has seat belt reminder light operated by a timming relay.glows for a few seconds when you turn on the ignition.might this do?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.