Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Toniq Bodywork
mistergrumpy

posted on 30/10/07 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Toniq Bodywork

New bodywork a bit expensive maybe but certainly different. Be interesting to see how much works involved in fitting it. Check out their other cars for sale. There's a £59,000 Murtaya Nice

speedyxjs

posted on 30/10/07 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Looks a bit like a plymouth prowler

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

scootz

posted on 30/10/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Why did you have to post that link?

I'm £1700 lighter!

mistergrumpy

posted on 30/10/07 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
You've bought it? Ooh, very interesting. Keep us in the picture eh

scootz

posted on 30/10/07 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yep.

I've now got 2 projects on the go!

I have a 2001 Caterham chassis and suspension components that I've been trying to sell, but there's been no takers. Can't understand it - all been blasted and coated, but still no takers.

Decided a few days ago that I would therefore complete the Caterham project using a nice dry-sumped XE engine that I have left over from my Formula Vauxhall Lotus project and an old Type-9 sitting in the garage.

Looked at the cost of getting an Arch re-skin and it's (much) more than the cost of the Toniq-R kit. Then thought about re-skinning myself, but I'm crap at things like that.

So, Toniq it is!

Always thought it was an 'interesting' concept (in a good way!), so will complete the re-build with that bodywork and probably sell on.

scootz

posted on 30/10/07 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Wonder why Adrenaline have the Toniq R molds?????

Guessing the original guys must have gone to the wall.

David Jenkins

posted on 30/10/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
The trouble with the Toniq cars I saw was that they were not well finished - a point made by a kit car magazine when they looked at a green one. Not the bodywork itself, which looked respectable, but the detail. For instance, the magazine criticised the bareness of the steering column between the wheel and the dash; when I saw it, I had to agree.

I still think it's an interesting design - not to my personal taste, but worthy nonetheless - and someone like yourself can put some extra effort in to improve the detail, at which point it should be a very fine car.

Good luck with your new project!

David

D Beddows

posted on 30/10/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of interest how much were you trying to sell the cateringvan stuff for?
scootz

posted on 30/10/07 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Was looking for about £4k Dave. That was pretty much everything...

Registered chassis with full widetrack / de-dion suspension, roll bar, uprights, hubs, quick rack, column. Had a lot of nice goodies included - new Momo wheel, new Wilwoods, and carbon nose, dash, wings, aero screen.

All blasted and coated and looking like new.

Pretty much everything except engine, gearbox, diff, tank, electrics and ali bodywork.

scootz

posted on 30/10/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, was looking at the panel gaps David. Needs a wee bit of work, but I reckon it could look stunning if done right.

Would get rid of the dash recesses first and fit a slim digi-dash. Would also shroud the column.

Oh, the expense... will hopefully pay me back though (have I said that before!?).

D Beddows

posted on 30/10/07 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought.....and possibly not one you want (if you hadn't already considered it of course) but is a Toniq chassis Westfield/Locost size or is it Caterham size......?
scootz

posted on 30/10/07 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
In the ad it says both... !

My only concern is that it may be a widebody kit (I have a narrow bodied chassis)

I will be checking with them tomorrow before I send my dosh!

I'm guessing there will be a bit of modifying to fit!

procomp

posted on 31/10/07 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hi dave what are you trying to say. However the bodywork may just fit straight onto a ST/AIRES chassis. I wonder why.

cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 31/10/07 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't the Toniq start off life as a design study by some students at Huddersfield University or somewhere similar? It would make sense that they didn't bother redesigning the chassis......... but it makes it all the more amazing that they thought/think that they can sell a ST Locost with some fancy bodywork for £30Kish

Have to say that I personally wouldn't have given them a very good mark for the styling either but each to their own.......

Stoo

posted on 31/10/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I LOVE the look of this kit - and if it was just a few hundred quid more than most of the seven style kit cars I would have definitely bought one.

However the price is completely unreasonable, and therefore I assume that is the reason why you see very few around!!

Stoo

scootz

posted on 31/10/07 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
You want to see the price that Arch charge for re-skinning a Caterham in ali. Compared to that, this kit is an absolute bargain!

Been looking into it a bit more and it seems that Jag and TVR both gave some pointers regarding the bodywork design / tooling.

EVO magazine really rated both the BEC and CEC versions of the Toniq R and thought the kit / detail was good.

Called Adrenalline this morning - very helpful guys. Apparently the kit was designed around the Westfield chassis and then moved briefly to STM. My Westfield knowledge isn't too hot, but I'm thinking that they moved entirely to wide bodied chassis production a few years ago.

I've to measure my chassis and send it to them then we'll decide if we complete the deal from there.

[Edited on 31/10/07 by scootz]

Brooky

posted on 31/10/07 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to the guys designing that a few years ago when they were at STM. The design inspirations were the prowler, lotus 340r and something else that I just cant remember. But it wasnt Jag or TVR.
scootz

posted on 31/10/07 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
The Jag and TVR link was not related to the original styling-inspiration.

Both companies 'loaned' staff to help out with design / tooling.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.