Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: setting up a website
bassett

posted on 1/11/07 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
setting up a website

Hi everyone im looking for some technical web design advice, as its getting close to picking up my MNR Vortx i had the thought it might be interesting to set up a basic website with pictures and a diary for friends family and anyone else thats interested to see how the builds comming along. I see quite a few members have build sites so can anyone help me out?
scoobyis2cool

posted on 1/11/07 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
There are a few of ways to do it - the first is to learn HTML and code the site yourself, which gives you the most flexibility but it's also the hardest to do if you've never done any programming/HTML before.

Second you could get some web design software like Dreamweaver where you design the layout and let the software deal with the code.

Finally, and the easiest way, you could just get a blog somewhere. It'll probably offer everything you want and takes about 2 minutes to sign up - take a look at sites like Wordpress or Blogger.
Pete

[Edited on 1/11/07 by scoobyis2cool]

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
badding

posted on 1/11/07 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Joomla is a simple Content management system, you can make a nice looking site and it's very easy to maintain.

My site is made with joomla...knowledge of PHP or http language isn't nessecary.

bassett

posted on 1/11/07 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
i've done some coding a while back when i was at uni (very basic) but it was only using word pad then converting it to a web page. but then how would i get something like that onto a proper site with a web adress?
scoobyis2cool

posted on 1/11/07 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
To upload your html files it depends on your hosting. Some hosts offer a browser-based uploaded and on others you'll need an FTP program like FileZilla.

Pete

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bassett

posted on 1/11/07 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Would i have to buy a domain name to be able to upload it to a specific space?
matt_claydon

posted on 1/11/07 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Since it's a build diary you'll be best off just getting a blog - that's essentially what they're designed for. Then if you want your own web address just go to one of the millions of domain name people (I use 123-reg.co.uk) and pay for a domain name. You then just set up that address to point to the addres of your blog. i.e. someone types in www.bassettsbuilddiary.com and they will be automatically forwarded to bassettsblog.someblogsite.com
scoobyis2cool

posted on 1/11/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
^ What he said

Pete

wilkingj

posted on 1/11/07 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
IF... you buy a domain name, I reccomend www.Easily.co.uk
I work across the office from our DNS team, and they all use it for their personal sites.
They work doing just DNS for a living and handle thousands of names per year for our company and our customers, and I trust their judgement. They have been doing DNS for over 12 years in a professional environment.

You can actually talk to Easily on the phone, and they won't OWN your Domain Name, like a lot of sites do. Also its all administerable over the web. I use them and havent had any problems, and I run a Name that is forwarded to a Dynamic Name, that is located on my Broadband at home.

www.v8viento.co.uk translates to my dynamic DNS name, and that points to my home Server, which is on a dynamic IP address (it changes).

I use http://www.dyndns.com for the dynamic part.

If you have a static IP address on your broadband, then you dont need the dynamic DNS.

Hope this is useful info.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

bassett

posted on 1/11/07 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone for the help. Ive gone for the blog instead of my own site. Ive started using blogger and for anyone else thinking of doing the same its dead simple, meets my needs and should be easy to keep everyone updated.

Cheers

Keith Weiland

posted on 1/11/07 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just a note to say that just because you are using blogger doesn't mean you cant have your own domain name and .co.uk domain name will cost less than £3 for a year.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.