Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Think i have the wrong rad
SyKaTurbo

posted on 1/11/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Think i have the wrong rad

Following on from my previous post ageees back

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=72482

I got my polo rad just after and began fitting it the other day. Only lookiing at a few pics on that thread mine seems alot bigger than other ones

The nose only just fits over it all. I put it on the S shaped brackets so it would flex a little if needed. Not happy with it really.

David Jenkins

posted on 1/11/07 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Is that the correct Polo rad? It looks similar to mine - and it is a tight fit inside the nose. Yours does look a bit high though.

One comment - you may want something more substantial than that ali strip to support the rad, as once it starts vibrating and flexing it will stress-fracture and break. I used 19mm x 3mm rectangular steel bar on mine.

worX

posted on 1/11/07 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Use some steel mounts instead of ali.

And you might want to mount it quite a bit lower...

Steve

SyKaTurbo

posted on 1/11/07 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Really? Will have a look into beefing them up. I have a browse of what westfield use and went from that.

I'll see about lowering it a little and try and get some more pics as by lowering it I would have to pull it further in which makes access to the bottom hose fitting difficult.

BenB

posted on 1/11/07 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
When it's full of coolant it's quiet heavy!!!! Especially when it's close to the nosecone you don't want it wobbling around too much!
SyKaTurbo

posted on 1/11/07 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Nick205's Polo Rad

procomp

posted on 1/11/07 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there are GOLF ones that are the same width but taller than the polo and there are GOLF ones that are taller wider and thicker.

Some where on here there was a link to a radiator database but i think it may have disapeared but if some one can find it it will help identifying rads that will fit.

HTH cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 1/11/07 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Might be taller than the standard one, BUT if it fits, I would use it you will get more efficient cooling...

I was looking at getting a slightly bigger on than the standard early 1.1 polo one people us (i.e. go for a Golf one), trouble is getting the motorfactor to get all the types in for you to choose as space is tight. In particular the air bled sticks out a lot on most of them..

Cheers

Dan

jabbahutt

posted on 1/11/07 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
That looks very similar to the one I've fitted. Only difference with fitting method though is rad is further down and bottom of rad is further out to allow botton cooling hose to pass inside front chassis rail.

As a guide the top hose connection is only above the top rail by roughly it's diamter then angled out to allow clearance with nose cone.

Hope that helps

vyperstrype

posted on 1/11/07 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
polo rad

your rad looks a lot larger than mine. i got my rad from Northern Radiators in Leeds it is a polo and cost about £34.00.
I managed to mount mine within the chassis frame above the steering rack, and have the benefit of it not being at the recieving end of any impact incurred should an accident happen. Also i have no overheating problems, even though it is mounted fairly high.

mad-butcher

posted on 1/11/07 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
info came from Cairb as I had the same problemImage deleted by owner
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.