Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MSVA v SVA - Bakeoff
jamesalx

posted on 2/11/07 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
MSVA v SVA - Bakeoff

How much easier is it to put a very light car though an MSVA to putting a normal build trough an SVA.

This is my first build so was thinking of starting small to get some experience under my belt, but if it’s just as hard to get though a MSVA then I might not bother. Was thinking of making a sporty Peel P50 type thing.

chockymonster

posted on 2/11/07 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Erm, sporty and 50cc?

Looking at the basics of the MSVA I'd suggest it's going to be similar to the SVA test

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jamesalx

posted on 2/11/07 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
Erm, sporty and 50cc?

Looking at the basics of the MSVA I'd suggest it's going to be similar to the SVA test

Yep, I have a mini moto triked out and it does 45/50mph am going to put gears on it and a better cab. It's 49cc.

smart51

posted on 2/11/07 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Great minds think alike. I'm thinking of making a small Peel like thing too.

MSVA is for vehicles weighing less than 400kg with less than 15kW (20.1 BHP) of engine power, or vehicles with 2 wheels. It's not a choice of SVA or MSVA.

MSVA rules are slightly less than SVA but I don't know how much. You don't need side repeaters and if your vehicle is less than about 1.3m wide, you only need 1 headlight. I need to get hold of an MSVA manual.

What are you going to make your microcar from?

matt_claydon

posted on 2/11/07 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
You can go up to 15kW power output for a quadricycle, but PLEASE think hard about the safety implications of an enclosed quadricycle before building one. The consequences of an accident are not pleasant, particularly given the dramatically increased liklihood.

[Edited on 2/11/07 by matt_claydon]

smart51

posted on 2/11/07 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
Erm, sporty and 50cc?

50cc? I'm going to use a 125. Not blistering but 4.5s to 30, 8.5 to 50 then slowing down: 14s to 60, 16 to 62, top speed of 67, on a level road. Plenty in a motorised chair.

jamesalx

posted on 2/11/07 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Right well, did know about the quadricycle rule hens the small 50cc engine.

I was going to build the MicroCar to meet the rules of either MSVA or SVA, rather then turn up with a full blown kit car and just say can I have MSVA please 

Matt, defo going to be enclosed will have a roll cage, don’t want to be roadkill.

jamesalx

posted on 2/11/07 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
What are you going to make your microcar from?

Erm... Metal?

Was going to use something like 2cm Box will be a fairly light gage. I have the metal I want to use already, it’s very light, and strong, I have already used it in a build. Was thinking of something like this:

Kart Design
Kart Design

[Edited on 2/11/07 by jamesalx]

smart51

posted on 2/11/07 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesalx
Erm... Metal?

Ha Ha

I was thinking more donor parts. I want to use Kart wheels and a scooter drive train but it doesn't seem to be easy.

[Edited on 2-11-2007 by smart51]

jamesalx

posted on 2/11/07 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I was thinking more donor parts.
[Edited on 2-11-2007 by smart51]

Sorry mate, long day.

I was going to use Moto wheels on the front and back. There about 20cm tall. There is a centrifugal clutch on it. Then get this… it’s either genius or madness… Bike gears!

Brakes will be discs on all four wheels, cable controlled. Everything else I will fabricate.

MikeRJ

posted on 5/11/07 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
[I was thinking more donor parts. I want to use Kart wheels and a scooter drive train but it doesn't seem to be easy.

Can you get E-Marked Kart tyres though?

iank

posted on 5/11/07 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think you can use cable brakes.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

smart51

posted on 5/11/07 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
[I was thinking more donor parts. I want to use Kart wheels and a scooter drive train but it doesn't seem to be easy.

Can you get E-Marked Kart tyres though?

Kart tyres that have the appropriate markings are road legal. I haven't found any but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

I'm told that cable operated brakes are no longer allowed, except for handbrakes. The same guy said there are no hydraulic brakes that fit less than 8" rims. I've just received the latest copy of the MSVA manual and it doesn't mention either of these points.

I now plan to use either the front axle off a small quad bike with 8" wheels or perhaps a pre '84 mini drum brake front end, with a rear mini back plate for the hand brake lever. That might be a bit heavy.

For the rear, either a scooter rear end or a large quad bike, if I can find one with a diff not a solid bar axle.

edit: I've just read the MSVA manual and 3 wheelers aren't limited to 15kW (20.1 BHP) unlike heavy quadricycles, so its going to be a 250cc scooter circa 22 BHP. Woo

[Edited on 5-11-2007 by smart51]

iank

posted on 5/11/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm told that cable operated brakes are no longer allowed, except for handbrakes. The same guy said there are no hydraulic brakes that fit less than 8" rims. I've just received the latest copy of the MSVA manual and it doesn't mention either of these points.

I now plan to use either the front axle off a small quad bike with 8" wheels or perhaps a pre '84 mini drum brake front end, with a rear mini back plate for the hand brake lever. That might be a bit heavy.

For the rear, either a scooter rear end or a large quad bike, if I can find one with a diff not a solid bar axle.

edit: I've just read the MSVA manual and 3 wheelers aren't limited to 15kW (20.1 BHP) unlike heavy quadricycles, so its going to be a 250cc scooter circa 22 BHP. Woo

[Edited on 5-11-2007 by smart51]

Couple of points. I think I may have been quoting you on the cable brakes I suspect they would fail under the 'tester doesn't think it's safe' rule assuming they didn't miss that one out of MSVA even if there isn't a specific prohibition.

Can't see any reason you couldn't take a small two pot caliper from a motorbike (or even a downhill mountain bike) and machine down a disk to fit.

Unfortunately mini front drum brakes aren't SVA'able either, drum brakes on the front have to be self adjusting. MSVA might not have that rule though. If they are allowed the mini backplate is a trick I'll be using on my buggy (for the rears) so give a shout if you need a picture of the mods you require.

Trikes can be as mad as you want bhp wise as you've found.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

JonBowden

posted on 6/11/07 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

3 wheelers aren't limited to 15kW (20.1 BHP)

So, how much power can a 3-wheeler have?

Jon

smart51

posted on 6/11/07 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden

As much as you damn well please
There are no restrictions on power.

iank

posted on 6/11/07 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
quote:

3 wheelers aren't limited to 15kW (20.1 BHP)

Don't think there is a limit. Plenty of BEC driven trikes - Grinnall Scorpion for example. Need to be careful with the handling if you try to put too much down they can lift a wheel.

Like this

[Edited on 6/11/07 by iank]

--
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.