Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any roofers/builders out there?
ned

posted on 8/11/07 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Any roofers/builders out there?

Just need to finish my small lean to style porch tiled roof and have acquired some 300mm width lead flashing to go under the house wall hung tiles and over those on the angled porch roof. Only prob is there are 2-3 pieces I'd need to join together but they were free as opposed to £50 for a new roll from a builders merchant I can't complain.

Question is whats the best way of joining/securing/overlapping etc the lead flashing so the water can't ingress?

(It is only a small external porch and the roof is felted underneath the battening).

cheers,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 8/11/07 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
For a butt joint I would do this then tamp it down with a bit of wood and a mallet to tighten it up before taking it onto the roof.

lead flash
lead flash

Or the proper way is to weld it!

ATB
Locoboy

thunderace

posted on 8/11/07 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
i use a tube of leadmate

http://www.cglass.co.uk/product.php?productid=17610

think you can get it from screwfix.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=lead+mate

rpm

posted on 8/11/07 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
no need for worming the joints(thats hooking one over the other) unless you're in an exposed area, just make sure you have 150mm lap on the joint and dress down neatly to the tiles you shouldn't have more than 1.5 m of lead in one piece to allow for expansion HTH Roger
zilspeed

posted on 8/11/07 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen all of the methods above.
I have also seen lead dressed expertly into shapes you wouldn't believe.

However, I once worked with a guy whoc could gas weld lead and leave a finish that was '907' good.

Doesn't need huge levels of heat either.

Weld it - you know you want to.

gezer

posted on 8/11/07 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with that, just make sure the edge of the flashing where it overlaps is facing away from the prevailing wind, not towards it it, if thats possible,

I'm to old to live and to young to die --- buggerit

locoboy

posted on 8/11/07 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I would still go for worming it, its not really that much effort and its going to cope with ANY conditions.

But thats just me.

When i get the chance i just love over engineering things lol

ATB
Locoboy

Confused but excited.

posted on 8/11/07 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Lead welding takes a lot more skill than you might think.
One second it's solid, the next it's running all over the shop.
They used to use oxy/hydrogen torches to do it where I used to work.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Avoneer

posted on 8/11/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Overlay 150mm and it will be fine.

My builder uses silicone and after wedging it in the raked out morter, fills that with silicone as well.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iiyama

posted on 8/11/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I use oxy/acetylene for lead welding. As has all ready been stated lead shouldnt be fitted in lengths over 1.5m. Expansion/contraction will split it over time.

Silicone around lead is not a good idea, some silicones, (acytoxy), can damage the it. There are propriety sealants developed especially for fixing and sealing lead and these should be used. They are also much better for pointing in as morter can and does fall out again due to expansion/contraction.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

iiyama

posted on 8/11/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I use oxy/acetylene for lead welding. As has all ready been stated lead shouldnt be fitted in lengths over 1.5m. Expansion/contraction will split it over time.

Silicone around lead is not a good idea, some silicones, (acytoxy), can damage it. There are propriety sealants developed especially for fixing and sealing lead and these should be used. They are also much better for pointing in as morter can and does fall out again due to expansion/contraction.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

ned

posted on 9/11/07 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the tips. As it's only a porch and in a corner I think I'll just overlap it away from the elements and see if the black roofing gunk I bought a while back is suitable for use on lead.

cheers all,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Peteff

posted on 9/11/07 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Don't put roof seal on it ned, it turns lead brittle. Just flatten it down well with a piece of 3x2 and a hammer.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.