Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone know about stocks and shares?
theconrodkid

posted on 11/11/07 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
anyone know about stocks and shares?

i have some shares,i would like to sell,anyone care to give me some advice as to how to go about it?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Paul TigerB6

posted on 11/11/07 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Its worth asking your local bank if they can sell them for you which may be your cheapest option (followed by them ringing you to offer their own financial advice once the funds clear!!! ).

Barclays Bank are worth a try too as they have a stockbroking arm http://www.stockbrokers.barclays.co.uk/?category=publicproductsandservices&middleusecase=publicproducts&usecase=publicstocksandshares&topu secase=publicstocksandshares

thunderace

posted on 11/11/07 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
one big tip is to sell them half b4 april and half after to save on your tax bill.
i would see an advisor or join a forum if you dont know much about them.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 11/11/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
one big tip is to sell them half b4 april and half after to save on your tax bill.
i would see an advisor or join a forum if you dont know much about them.

Depends on how much profit you are making on them but it would have to be a heck of a lot to mean you will pay capital gains tax (£9200 allowance for the current year).

If the transaction is going to be in the tens of thousands then its worth seeking advice for sure.

theconrodkid

posted on 11/11/07 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
they seem to be free falling faster than an alfa romeo at the mo.
so i dont look a complete numpty,what do i do/take to barclays etc to grab the cash?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

russbost

posted on 11/11/07 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
You'll need the share certificate(s) & probably some ID. HTH

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Macbeast

posted on 11/11/07 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
As said, you need to contact bank,say Barclays, Share Dealing arm. They will sell the shares for you either at current price or at a price you specify. You have to have some proof that the shares are yours. If under the non-computerised system you actually have paper certificates you will have to send them in at some point.

Be aware that Barclays will take commission. I have a few shares in something or other and it would cost more in the minimum commission than I would get for them so they just sit there.

I don't think you could just roll up at your local branch and walk out ten minutes later with cash in your pocket. As far as I remember, you have to wait until next settlement day (a fortnight? month? later before the deal is done and you get your money.

Confused ? Don't blame you

theconrodkid

posted on 11/11/07 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
i dont have paper shares as such,just the original i was given (now taken over by aviva) and the 1/4? dividend thingies (tech term).
ill give them a bell and see what gives,cheers for your help peeps

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

slim Jim

posted on 11/11/07 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you have an acount with RBS you can 'do the deal' in one of their branches for a flat fee of £15. Natwest used do the same for their account holders and may still do.

Most banks probaly do for existing account holders just by going in with the certificate and id.

See here

Peteff

posted on 11/11/07 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
If you contact the number on the shares dividend letter ans ask them they will most likely do the deal for you and get you a better price than a trader.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

wheelfelloff

posted on 11/11/07 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
i have some shares,i would like to sell,anyone care to give me some advice as to how to go about it?

I'm no expert but when settling up an estate recently we found the cheapest place to sell was the share centre:

http://www.share.com/webp/cert.htm

They charge 1% with a £7.50 minimum charge. The banks we approached had a much larger minimum and some charged more commision. These handled a variety of share quantities quickly and without problems. Make sure you understand how the price is set (usually at a set trading time on the day you authorise the sale). This site is for certificate sales but they also handle the others. No connection just a satisfied customer.

Keith

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.