Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cv joint - tripode driveshaft
Nosbod

posted on 15/11/07 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
cv joint - tripode driveshaft

Im trying to replace the cv boots on my sierra rear driveshafts (tripode type) and have read a few posts on here about doing them both from one end but I am stuck at dismantling the joint.

I'm not sure if what i have is the metal cover im supposed to hack away at to reveal the circlip, but it looks different from other images i've seen posted on the forums. (http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=11231)

I have attached a piccy to show what i have.

Can anyone advise?

Cheers,

Chris.

Thinking about it

posted on 16/11/07 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Look in my archive and you can see a pic of how I had to take the metal cover off. These then need to be replaced also. I cut around with a hacksaw then peeled back the metal as shown, the rest of the cover then slides off to reveal the circlip on the joint If you are only replacing the boot I understand you can get some stretchy ones to go over the whole lot.
BenB

posted on 16/11/07 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
You can get the stretchy cone type ones. I would stay away from the glued CV boots. They pass MOT but split shortly afterwards

I used one to pass MOT but I've now got a clacking noise from the effected side when on full lock Looks like the CVJ ran dry for a little while....

edited to say: this was my poxy tintop- wouldn't want anyone to think I was so mean to my Locost- that gets all the mechanical attention it desires

[Edited on 16/11/07 by BenB]

thebull

posted on 16/11/07 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
just done my cv boots, got stretchy ones from MNR and had the use of a fitting cone from a fellow off locostbuilders, took about 10mins to do both boots on one shaft. the boots are only £5 each.

hope this helps

Paul TigerB6

posted on 16/11/07 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
This might help. If you go for these then get the Stainless clips as well for an extra £1.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-CV-BOOT-DRIVE-SHAFT-GAITER-FITTING-CONES_W0QQitemZ180180759293QQihZ008QQcategoryZ9886QQcmdZViewItem

and to do the other driveshaft from the same bloke.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-PAIR-UNIVERSAL-FLEXIMEX-STRETCH-CV-BOOTS-EASY-FIT_W0QQitemZ180179627975QQihZ008QQcategoryZ9886QQcmdZViewItem

[Edited on 16/11/07 by Paul TigerB6]

Nosbod

posted on 16/11/07 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help but i am still a little confused as to whether i need to remove and replace the metal cover regardless?

Or does the cone type allow the boot to stretch completely over, without having to pull the shaft apart?

I've just had a shock on the price of the boot kit from my local Ford Dealership, £42.37 each (including cover, boot and clips etc)

Pattrac

posted on 13/5/11 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Ford PN?

Are the strtch type up to much?

Seems a big ask to go over the CV joint and then clamp onto the driveshaft?

Does anyone have the part number for the Ford kit should it be a resounding "Don't use stretch ones".

Thanks for any help

Andy P

mads

posted on 13/5/11 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nosbod
Thanks for the help but i am still a little confused as to whether i need to remove and replace the metal cover regardless?

Or does the cone type allow the boot to stretch completely over, without having to pull the shaft apart?

I've just had a shock on the price of the boot kit from my local Ford Dealership, £42.37 each (including cover, boot and clips etc)

Give the following a call: Ford Parts UK - 01722 424224

£11.91 + Vat each was what I was quoted. Speak to Brad.

Don't know part number but you will need some measurements [not sure what though] to determine which ones you need. . The gaitors are attached to the metal sleeve btw.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.