Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Radiator fan question
Dangle_kt

posted on 18/11/07 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Radiator fan question

Hi,

Newbie question.

Just tried to figure out whether the radiator fan I have included in my part built is a sucker or a blower (*sniggers*)

pushed togther a couple off aa batteries and put the positive against one terminal of the fan and ran a wire round to the neg, it span one way, swap polarity and it runs the other. Seeing as I wont be using the standard loom does that mean I can put it on the rear of the rad (which is where I want it) and just connect the cabels to suit?

BenB

posted on 18/11/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
The blades will be curved to be most effective in one direction. Depending on the design of the fan running it backwards might burnt it out if you did it for any length of time. You can normally tell whether it's a blower or a sucker by the design of the blades.
Dangle_kt

posted on 18/11/07 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
cheers - thought that might be the case. Fortunatly the leading edge (rounded leading to a pointed egde - like a plane wing) would suggest its a suck I think

perfect

thanks

worX

posted on 18/11/07 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
If you are at all unsure even now, just hold a piece of tissue In Front then Behind etc etc

Steve

Macbeast

posted on 18/11/07 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
There's often an arrow showing designed direction of rotation.

When I got mine, I held it on the workbench and connected 12V to it. It sucked up and shredded a pile of receipts

Steve @ sVc

posted on 21/11/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Look at the blades from the open face (rad side) of the fan. If the blade face is convex it is a rear mounted "Puller" fan. If it's concave - you have a "blower" fan.

Reversing the direction of rotation will change it from a puller to a blower but you loose a huge amount of air flow so please don't try it.
regards
Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.