Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WORKSHOP HEATER
Ian Pearson

posted on 20/11/07 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
WORKSHOP HEATER

Hi All,

I’m not too sure where to post this, so I’ve opted for the TOOLS section as it’s vaguely related. I want to build an oil fired heater for the “shed”, and can’t find that much detailed “locost” info on the net. Do any of you have any plans/details/knowledge you’d be able to share?

Regards, Ian.

SeaBass

posted on 20/11/07 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Most people refer to these pages I believe. I wish a had a big enough space to warrant such a device!

Waste Oil Heaters

Cheers

wilkingj

posted on 20/11/07 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Yup thats the one I am building. (When I ge the "roundtuit" )

I have the bits for the burner plate. I have had the valve out of the gas container for 9 months now, and have blown it clear with air several times. And stored the bottle with the open neck downwards as propane is heavy.
I am concenred about cutting and welding a propane cylinder. So am being extremely cautious in making sure its clear of all gas.

You can always add some plates (Fins) to the main body and the chimney to release extra heat.
Or... put some fins on the chimney and enclose them to make a rudimentary heat exchanger and blow air over the fins to give blown hot air heating as well.

There are lots of things to do with this design.
It also disposes of your waste oil without taking it to the tip.
They are also farily clean burning especially if you get them hot enough,

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 20/11/07 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
another alternative is to fit a second hand house boiler (obviously needds checking) since most are getting replaced for condensing boilers . If youcan get them for free , sometimes its worth paying for parts , and convert to propane , run a couple of radiators - and of course you can put the timer on for when you want to come in !

you must observe flue fitting requirements , or youll end up dead .

its easier tho when you have someone in the family who is corgi registered .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

NS Dev

posted on 22/11/07 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Yup thats the one I am building. (When I ge the "roundtuit" )

I have the bits for the burner plate. I have had the valve out of the gas container for 9 months now, and have blown it clear with air several times. And stored the bottle with the open neck downwards as propane is heavy.
I am concenred about cutting and welding a propane cylinder. So am being extremely cautious in making sure its clear of all gas.

You can always add some plates (Fins) to the main body and the chimney to release extra heat.
Or... put some fins on the chimney and enclose them to make a rudimentary heat exchanger and blow air over the fins to give blown hot air heating as well.

There are lots of things to do with this design.
It also disposes of your waste oil without taking it to the tip.
They are also farily clean burning especially if you get them hot enough,

I would not cut a propane tank. I'm no health and safety preacher, but its not worth the risk.

Go to your local tip and you should be able to find some large high pressure cylinders from various inert gases.

I have cut up and used several CO2 bottles, and you can get pretty big helium bottles which are thinner like propane ones, used for balloon gas and are safe to weld.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

wilkingj

posted on 22/11/07 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
I have had the valve out of the gas container for 9 months now, and have blown it clear with air several times. And stored the bottle with the open neck downwards as propane is heavy.

I would not cut a propane tank. I'm no health and safety preacher, but its not worth the risk.

Thanks for the concern. Dont worry... I am EXTREMELY cautious about this. The Valve has been removed for many months, and every time I go to the garage the Compressor tank is vented through it. Its been stored upside down as propane is heavier than air (I think) for many months, and the right way up, in case it isnt heavier than air!.

The problem at the tip is finding a bottle as big as a 47kg propane one.
I have looked.

I will be checking it for gas before I cut or weld it. I have access to a Gas Tester and even know how to use it!

As you rightly point out, its not something to be taken lightly.
Thanks for your concern.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.