Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trade plates
johhny5

posted on 20/11/07 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Trade plates

Hi Chaps,
A friend of mine has a car company and therefore has trade plates.
Can i put these on my kit car and legally take it for a spin on the road, only for testing.
This is before the SVA test
??

tegwin

posted on 20/11/07 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I understand it...No you cant!

The trade plates are for road tax reasons only, they do not magically give your car an MOT thus your insurance is void...

Drive with or without the trade plates on your car and its still naughty... Sorry

blakep82

posted on 20/11/07 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
i would say no. can't think of any reason why though... surely trade plates are only intended to be used if the car is actually going somewhere (like when you can only drive a car to mot if its booked in for one, and the car has not tax or mot)

reckon your mate would get in a whole lot of bohter if he was knowing letting you use the plates for this too.

like i say though, just an assumption

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

johhny5

posted on 20/11/07 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,
its always worth asking

zxrlocost

posted on 20/11/07 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to throw a spanner in the works

but my insurance states can drive any car with a chassis number for business social domestic use to setup and test any car in my posession

how do I setup certain things without testing the car prior to SVA otherwise

afterall its not as if I havent put the effort in to pay the insurance

[Edited on 20/11/07 by zxrlocost]

[Edited on 20/11/07 by zxrlocost]

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

PhilCross66

posted on 20/11/07 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've been taken out by MK in an unregistered Indy on trade plates.
The local car dealers near me moves brand new cars all over on trade plates and these are all unregistered.

MikeR

posted on 21/11/07 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
the dealers cars are all 'legal' cars. Ie have passed type approval. kit cars that haven't passed SVA would, i expect, be illegal.
Paul TigerB6

posted on 21/11/07 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost

but my insurance states can drive any car with a chassis number for business social domestic use to setup and test any car in my posession

Is this a commercial car insurance policy though Chris?? I would think that is where you will find the difference is and that general insurance policies dont contain the wording that your policy does. Also, you are using your own trade plates for a legitimate business purpose with valid insurance cover. I'd say Johhny5 (and his mate in the trade) would have a fair bit of explaining to do if stopped and possibly prosecutions.

Not worth the risk IMHO. Lots of people manage without testing (or book a cheap track day)

tks

posted on 21/11/07 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
the dealers cars are all 'legal' cars. Ie have passed type approval. kit cars that haven't passed SVA would, i expect, be illegal.

this says everything...

if it hasn't any type of aproval i'm quite sure only a manufacture could obtain some kind of exeption for it, but not anyone else.

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

britishtrident

posted on 21/11/07 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Vehicles on trade plates are covered by the owner of the trade plates traders insurance policy. ie He can test drive your vehicle in his proffesional capacity checking its fitness for SVA, but you can't use them on your own vehicle even if he magically employs you.

Trade plate laws are a lot more sensible than the used to be but are still quite strict

The MOT dosen't come into it as a home built is classed for MOT purposes as a new vehicle won't require MOT until it is due.

[Edited on 21/11/07 by britishtrident]

speedyxjs

posted on 21/11/07 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Forget the trade plates. If you want to take the car for a test drive, get you freindly garage to book you an MOT in the knowledge that it's not going to have one, take the car for a test drive. If you get stopped, tell plod that you are taking the car to be MOT'd. Apparently you dont need tax to drive to MOT

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

MikeRJ

posted on 21/11/07 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Forget the trade plates. If you want to take the car for a test drive, get you freindly garage to book you an MOT in the knowledge that it's not going to have one, take the car for a test drive. If you get stopped, tell plod that you are taking the car to be MOT'd. Apparently you dont need tax to drive to MOT

And it also has to be a pre-booked MOT within a reasonable distance, i.e. no booking an MOT 200 miles away

speedyxjs

posted on 22/11/07 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

And it also has to be a pre-booked MOT within a reasonable distance, i.e. no booking an MOT 200 miles away

Yeah but there is nothing to say that you cant travel 200 miles round town to get there

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.