Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Workshop Heater & Tig Welding
wilkingj

posted on 24/11/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Workshop Heater & Tig Welding

Well I made a start today on the Heater.
I cut up the tank and welded the air feed chimney in.
OK Its a propane tank, and I am aware of the safety aspect.
First let me say this has sat with the Valve removed for nearly a year. Its sat upside down and als right way up incase propane is or is not heavier than air.
Its been regularly flushed with compressed air, and after nearly a year I set about cutting it up.
So far I have cut the Door in the bottom so I an fix the burner head in and also see where the air feed comes to.

This is my first serious attempt at TIG welding. The Rehmann 200 come off Ebay and seems to work OK. Its certainly easier and better than my old SIP 150 Mig.

OK the welding isnt perfect, but I am open to comments so I can improve.
The Pipe is 4mm steel and the tank is about 2mm, so there is a little difference in the ticknesses. I aimed the torch slightly towards the pipe so I put more heat into the thicker metal and not to blow away the thinner tank metal.

Used about 120 Amps witha 2.4mm Red tungsten and 1.6mm mild steel filler rod.
Also there was a small gap upto about 1mm between the pipe and the tank, as mu cuttin out want that good.
I wonder if I should have got a bigger tungsten as it was red hot and so was the ceramic cup (at times)
Oh and about 10lpm of gas.

I'm also having problems as this site wouldnt let me archive thes pics saying they are the wrong format. They are JPG's and I already have loads on here. Any Ideas?.

Now Edited the pics.. they were like Huge filesize wise... now just a 110k or so.
Geoff

Image deleted by owner
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

[Edited on 25/11/2007 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 24/11/07 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
i think you wont be able to load the photos onto this site because your photos are the size of the earths moon, you could try making them a tad smaller.

jacko

posted on 24/11/07 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i would like to make a heater like that so please keep the photos and info coming
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 24/11/07 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Geoff, The pics are humungously large at 1536 x 2048 pixels - might be an idea to reduce them a bit

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

thunderace

posted on 24/11/07 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 24/11/07 by thunderace]
Peteff

posted on 24/11/07 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
For that kind of job I would get some rods and use as a stick welder, save the gas for jobs that need tig. Is it going to be for old engine oil? Here's a link from my bookmarks to a site I was reading .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

wilkingj

posted on 25/11/07 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
For that kind of job I would get some rods and use as a stick welder, save the gas for jobs that need tig. Is it going to be for old engine oil? Here's a link from my bookmarks to a site I was reading .

Hmm Didnt think of using it as a stick welder.
I did want to practice my Tig welding... this is the first job I have attempted using TIG, apart from about 40 mins playing before.

Its off the MEN site, but I am going with Roger Sanders modification using the inverted cone cup for the burner dish.
Roger Sanders Oil Burner
This should give more control over the heat.
I have a nice slab of 20mm thick steel. I intend to weld a short section of pipe to it, then turn the shallow inverted cone on the lathe. Then sit that on a larger pipe in the bottom of the heater, then its not fixed and I can remove it for cleaning.

Only problem with the propane tank so far is its only 15" diameter and not the 18" he used.
Still I'll reduce the picture sizes and see what I can do to make a better job of them!.

Best Regards
Geoff

rusty nuts

posted on 25/11/07 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Geoff, how about fitting a fan so that it blows air around the burner ? A radiator cooling fan perhaps? Our commercial waste oil heater works with a fan although it's thermostatically controlled.
wilkingj

posted on 25/11/07 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Geoff, how about fitting a fan so that it blows air around the burner ? A radiator cooling fan perhaps? Our commercial waste oil heater works with a fan although it's thermostatically controlled.

Thats a good idea and is on the MEN website. I was thinking of ducting the exhaust flue (which will have to go through the wall to the outside) and blowing air through between the pipes. That would give warm air flow and be very cheap to run... just the fan electrics.
Not got that far yet.
But have been thinking along those lines.

Best Regards
Geoff

NS Dev

posted on 25/11/07 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
You're getting towards the limit of the capacity of most gas cooled torches at 120 amps, you really need water cooled for much more than that, so yes, the ceramic will glow.

As Pete said, get the sticks out for that sort of job really, bit agricultural for the tig, but as you say, if you want the practise then you ight as well try it!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Alex B

posted on 25/11/07 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Nice effort with your new Tig mate. As usuall Petef is on the ball.........save the gas and stick it. Try to get the welds as good as the seams on the Calor bottle.

Alex

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.