Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bec Diff
Slider

posted on 4/12/07 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Bec Diff

Hi All,

First post here, great site. There's so much info here that i need a bigger memory.

I'm missing the point somewhere along the line so maybe someone can set me right.

I'm about to build a Blade buggy type thing from scratch. The main building is not a worry as i am a welder/fabber but some would argue that, lol.
I have an old 96 Blade ready for the use of and also an Alpha gearbox/diff (33 i think) kicking around.

I understand the Alpha box has a ratio of 1:1.027 in 4th gear so isn't that virtually 'what goes in, comes out'? Why can't my Blade connect to Alpha box and leave it in 4th or reverse?

There must be a reason why folks don't do this but i can't see what it is.
Who's first to make me look daft?

Cheers,
Slider.

zxrlocost

posted on 4/12/07 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
hi
1 where are you going to the put the external gearbox
2 surely it weighs as much as the original bike setup?

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Paul (Notts)

posted on 4/12/07 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
connecting a bike engine to a car gearbox is very difficult

you end up with lots of extra weight

TWO gearboxes - the bike one and the car

connecting from the bike engine/gearbox to a rear diff is the simlest option and the lightest ( unless you chain drive the rear axel )

bonzoronnie

posted on 4/12/07 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Gearbox

Hi,

Clutch, flywheel, the problems would be endless

Ronnie

Slider

posted on 4/12/07 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
That was quick replying Guys.

I should of mentioned its going to be a midi. I havn't actually seen the Alpha box for a while so i cant say how heavy it is but from memory, it's not huge. Plus i could trim off all the casing where the car clutch would be.
Yeah, two gearboxs in theory but would it be that much heavier than one of these quaiffe type diff things with reverse in them?

Slider.

Paul (Notts)

posted on 4/12/07 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
How would you connect the bike gearbox output to the input of the gearbox ?
Slider

posted on 4/12/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Again, i'm thinking from memory but i think there should be a splined shaft on the alpha that would originaly sit in the clutch. The Blade has a splined shaft too. It's only abit of machining me thinks or even welding a machined clutch center to my exsisting machined blade sprocket with a UJ inbetween.

I'm not too worried about the making it fit side of things, its more the ratio stuff. Weight and fitting aside, would it work do you think?

Slider

lsdweb

posted on 4/12/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
If you can get it lighter than this please let me know!!!

Wyn

Slider

posted on 4/12/07 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
why use a box

Well it has the diff combined and can have inboard brakes so its not just a box. The theory was that for your extra weight you get reverse built in and also you get more varied gearing.
With no clutch on the alpha side, it might be a pain to change but... stick in 4th for usual driving i.e 1:1 ratio, perhaps 3rd for a low speed, high acceleration hill climb type event or even 5th if your off down the motorway for miles.
It makes sense to me but then like i said, am i missing something obvious?

mark chandler

posted on 4/12/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Its sounds fine in theory, I guess the fear is that the G/box will dull the engine in reality.

1:1 ratio would be straight through so minimal frictional losses, but yours is not 1:1 so you will be spinning some gears so may get <15% power loss.

The weight is also a concern as this will also dull the engine, however the only extra I suppose over a diff is a bit more casing and some cogs so maybe not that much.

Also seating, in a 7 type car you cannot afford any more width in the TX tunnel so you would need to sit above this lot, not by it.

For joining I do not see an issue if you can fix the engine solidly to the gearbox, but a slide and UJ's would not suit the first motion shaft as this is expecting good alignment, so you would need to build a solid cradle and work out how to fix a clutch centre onto the blades splined shaft (but you do save the weight of a propshaft) so unfortunately front engine is out unless build a bearing to support this lot within the existing bell housing, again adding weight + prop.

Regards Mark

NigeEss

posted on 4/12/07 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I think this is a very, very interesting idea. Yes it has issues re weight/connection but I would love to see the results.
Slider

posted on 4/12/07 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, 15% loss eh Mark? Its abit much really i reckon. Its going to be a midi off roader so tunnel space is no probs and i have no chassis yet so the cradle can be designed in but.. 15%. Doh!
I suppose i'll have to dig it out and weigh it, chop bits off it etc and go from there. If its not too big it might be worth a try.

Cheers All.
Slider.

robertwa

posted on 5/12/07 at 03:37 AM Reply With Quote
I remember seeing an alfa 33 box a few years back when I put the alfa engine in my VW camper. It looks nice and compact.

I think this could be an interesting idea. If you removed 1st, 2nd and maybe 3rd gears I would like to her how light it would be. 4th for regular driving, 5th for over drive and reverse. You could mount the alfasud inboard brakes too.

Do it, and let us know

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.