Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Asus EEE PC
BenB

posted on 5/12/07 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Asus EEE PC

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/133848/asus-eee-pc-701.html#

Does this look good or what? It's flipping tiny!! And cheap as chips.
All it needs for Locost duties is a USB to Serial converter and it's party time.
Solid state hard disc so using it on the go for SatNav duties isn't going to give it a BSOD...
And I could also use it for tuning my Emerald ECU (when I finally get it ....

I'm a bit worried about my fat fingers causing havoc on the keyboard but equally tempted to find out

If only they did one with a bigger screen. 800*600 is a bit poor....

Davey D

posted on 5/12/07 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been looking at these too. very tempting. people have been putting XP onto them too. only thing that puts me off is the 7" screen. if it was a little bigger, then id get one in a flash

bonzoronnie

posted on 5/12/07 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Not Shure

Hi.

Nice gadget, reasonable price.

However. If I were thinking of running ECU tuning & Sat-nav software. I'd be more than a little worried about the lack of a Windows or Mac OS.

Ronnie

BenB

posted on 5/12/07 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
It'll run Windows- I'd be tempted by 2000.
Then again, I've got a box running XP on a 1Ghz Duron and it's pretty damn quick....

MikeRJ

posted on 5/12/07 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Putting an operating system that makes heavy use of a swap file onto a purely flash memory based system worries me a bit.

They are neat little gadgets though, and I'm very tempted. Had a Libreto years ago, and still have a small Sony Vaio, but it would struggle to run XP (Pentium @ 266MHz).

chriscook

posted on 5/12/07 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
You may be able to get the emerald software to run under wine in the Linux OS.

Now if you've got a Megasquirt you can get software that works in linux no problem.

onzarob

posted on 5/12/07 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have a ASUS laptop and it well built and tough... 14 month old and i use it every day. I think the eee is great, would like to see xp performace before purchase, but i don't have a Issue with the limited cycles for the eeprom as current estimates are 3 - 4 years and then you could have it replaced / DIY
PhilCross66

posted on 5/12/07 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
We just got one at work. We've been using it for stock check with a barcode scanner plugged in and on the wireless its been dead handy.
The machine runs really sweet, easy to reset back to default if you make a mess of its os too.
If theres anything you want to know about it ill try and find out for you from our IT guy, its his toy and he's pretty clued up about it.

whitestu

posted on 6/12/07 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
I've got one.

They are OK, but battery life isn't great compared to a laptop.

There is a 10Gb version coming out soon, which should be more suitable for Windows, and I believe MS are working on a smaller OS for this type of device.

The keyboard is a bit small but OK once you get used to it.

Stu

DaveFJ

posted on 6/12/07 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
They are OK, but battery life isn't great compared to a laptop.

At a claimed 3.5 hours it would beat most laptops and certainly all that I have used! (and thats quite a few)

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

mcerd1

posted on 6/12/07 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Asus make some really nice stuff, all my motherboards and graphics cards for the last 5 years have been asus and they have all been reliable despite some abuse (crap case = over heating, crap psu = unstable power...)

I've got an old ASUS laptop too (2002, L2000D, 1400+ Athlon XPm )
used it every day for the first 2 - 3 years, not so much now (I got a new desktop)
at £900 it was the cheapest half decent non-celeron laptop I could find at the time (about 6 months before the prices really dropped )
Its been really solid and reliable, although there are few cracks in the case now and it missing 2 rubber feet (not exactly the end of the world)
it also been easy to upgrade the memory and HDD (3 screws for each) although now I wish I'd got one with a built in CD-R
Its now got a 100Gb HDD and 512Mb RAM (1Gb soon)

my old laptop is old enough that is actually got a real serial port for my MJ (with an adapter cable to make it a full sized plug) if I didn't have this already the Eee PC would be the first on my list

[Edited on 6/12/07 by mcerd1]

whitestu

posted on 7/12/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

At a claimed 3.5 hours it would beat most laptops and certainly all that I have used! (and thats quite a few)

Its stated as 2.5 hrs with wireless enabled - in practice more like less than 2.

I've been using one for a month or so now and it lasts a bit more than half as long as my laptop.

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.