Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mid engine 4wd setup
Dantheman

posted on 9/12/07 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Mid engine 4wd setup

I,ve recently become obsessed with the idea of building a mid engined 4wd car. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use the drivetrain from a Sierra 4x4 but backwards. In other words turn the whole lot around so the engine is at the rear and flip the diffs over so you don't have to drive in reverse! One problem I could see is the power spilt between front and rear. From what I've read it's something like 35/65 front/rear, so if everythig was back to front you would more or less have a front wheel drive car which isn't very sporty!

I'd be interested to hear comments anyway.

Danny.

meany

posted on 9/12/07 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
would you not be better with a transversed mounted engine,

such as VW 4-motion for example.
must be other aswell, what was the Vauxhall 4wd set up (Calibre?).
or am i making this up...lol

just a thought

britishtrident

posted on 9/12/07 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yes that setup worked pretty well on the Panther Solo 2

I can't rember how they got round the various problems

muppet

posted on 9/12/07 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty of offroad specials do this with landrover running gear and flipped diffs.

Why, not, play about with prop lengths and you can get the weight where you want it.

Regards Mark

Guinness

posted on 9/12/07 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Having stripped a 4x4 Sierra, I'd agree with Muppet.

Stick the engine / gearbox where you want it, then the axles, then order 2 new diffs to connect it all up again.

Have fun

Mike

NS Dev

posted on 10/12/07 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
The sierra stuff is no good though, as you correctly say the torque split is all wrong, no good at all.

You could look at using a range rover transfer box though, that's certainly do-able.

There is a Fiat 126 on ebay at the moment with what i assume is this setup as its 4x4 and rover v8 powered.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Dantheman

posted on 10/12/07 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah its a pity about the power split otherwise it would be quite a simple job. Hook up a 4x4 box to a Cosworth V6, a couple of axles and diffs, tubular chassis. Not rocket science just a damn quick car!

I'll keep scratching my head about it anyway.

Danny.

Liam

posted on 10/12/07 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah i've dreamt up this install a few times! Would be great if it wasn't for the torque split. I mean you could get into modding the MT75 transfer case if you really wanted - it wouldn't be tooooo much hassle to take the front drive out of the other side of the step-off (plug up the normal output and make a hole in the other side, right?). Then have a kinked propshaft to a central front diff. Rear output would need to be stepped off the other side and run back past the engine to a rear diff. Bit too much bother if you ask me.

Whilst i would normally go on about wanting a 'proper' 3 mechanical diff 4wd system like the ford, quattro etc etc, this kind of budget 4wd middy project is the one time I would consider all these part-time 4wd systems i would otherwise slate as not being 'proper' 4wd.

Any of these front-wheel-drive-but-send-some-power-to-the-rear-when-needed systems - VW/small audi, vauxhall, etc would be great turned backwards providing rwd with power when required to the front - a la porshce, lambo, skyline. Would be very cool in a light special, the transverse arrangements really helping with packaging in the arse of a tiny hatchback.

Maybe worth looking into. Good luck anyway!

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dantheman

posted on 11/12/07 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be possible to somehow "lock" the centre diff (or whatever its called) and get a 50/50 split or would that just be suicide?

Anyway, what I'm thinking of building is a full body GT car that I can "upgrade" in the future with bigger engines/gearboxes. The transverse layout could prohibit this I think.

Danny.

Liam

posted on 11/12/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm well fully locked diffs are of course ideal in terms of power distribution - effectively automatically varying from 100/0 to 0/100 depending on available grip. Unfortunately corners throw annoying complications into the mix which is why we have diffs in the first place and not just solid axles and bevel gears! Lock the centre diff for a tarmac vehicle and you'll find it has an annoying tendancy to want to go straight on at corners and gets through axles/tyres very quickly

Liam

[Edited on 11/12/07 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dantheman

posted on 12/12/07 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
...You could look at using a range rover transfer box though, that's certainly do-able...

What the advatage of using this box over the sierra box?

Dan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.