Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: welded steering arms
smart51

posted on 12/12/07 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
welded steering arms

The steering arms a friend of mine made for me foul against the wheel rim. I've ground them back to fit but it cuts into the hole where I was going to bolt the track rod end. I've redesigned the arms but they're more complicated. Either I have to get them machined out of solid or made in 2 pieces and welded.

Is welding up a steering arm a bad idea?

The welded arm would be a horizontal bar with a vertical bar welded on at the end.

Howlor

posted on 12/12/07 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I have a feeling although I may be wrong that some MOT testers would fail a welded arm.

Steve

nick205

posted on 12/12/07 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC welded steering arms are an SVA NO NO although that may be bolted (or both).

IMHO provided the design is correct and the fabrication and welding is good then I don't see an issue. Not sure how insurers or the police etc would view it though.

Any photos of what you're doing?

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/12/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Howlor
I have a feeling although I may be wrong that some MOT testers would fail a welded arm.

Steve

not sure for the MOT but apparently a SVA fail, pity cos that's what I did

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/12/07 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
I looks like what?

quote:

The welded arm would be a horizontal bar with a vertical bar welded on at the end.
quote:

hmm, weird

depends on your welds though, a bit of blending (the old flapper wheel), a bit of paint, who'd know...

[Edited on 12/12/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 12/12/07 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I was going to say.... weld it properly (properly properly!) and grind it back and who could judge?
smart51

posted on 12/12/07 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking something like this Rescued attachment complex suspension arm.JPG
Rescued attachment complex suspension arm.JPG

smart51

posted on 12/12/07 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
or perhaps this Rescued attachment square suspension arm.JPG
Rescued attachment square suspension arm.JPG

jollygreengiant

posted on 12/12/07 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Very grey area as regards MOT. The criteria for failure would be that it is obviuos that an item on the suspension or steering has been subjected to 'EXCESSIVE' heat.

You cannot test with hindsight or prior knowledge therefore the theory is that you could fail, say, a steering arm for being bent.
If you are the only technician as well as the mot tester, then you might be tempted to use the 'HOT' spanner to straighten said arm. Being conscientious you might paint the arm once cooled. You then retest the vehicle and it passes. You have done nothing illegal however it would not be 'right'.

Oh and a good MOT tester would do it the 'right' way. The above was one of the moral issues that we used to debate.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

omega 24 v6

posted on 12/12/07 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
In an ideal world it'd be made from a forging and then machined as it keeps the grain stucture flowing and makes it stronger. Also it' would be heat treated to stress relieve it before machining. If it were me i'd make it from a solid block of steel BUT get rid of all the sharp corners and radius them for better strength.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

indykid

posted on 12/12/07 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
raceleda arms are welded.

i know they get a fair bit of negative press for being so, but i've not heard of them failing sva, nor have i heard of them failing on the road.

i'd personally be happier bending them from 15mm strip, or machining from solid.

what's it for?
tom

smart51

posted on 12/12/07 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'm building a cabin scooter / micro car / bubble car. and am using mini front hubs and wheels. 10" rims are tiny and there's no room for anything underneath them, including steering arms of more suitable geometry than the originals.

I'd love to have them machined out of solid. If anyone has the machinary to do it and charges reasonable prices, you're hired.

Howlor

posted on 12/12/07 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Not wanting to sound too killjoy but I suppose all these sort of things are generally ok until there is a problem.

Like the selby train crash guy, 999 times out of a 1000 falling asleep at the wheel would of ended up with a bent car and a possible ticking off. If the arm was to break and you end up on a railway then your welding is going to be called into question. The chance is very slim but like everything it does happen from time to time.

Steve

Wingnut
Junior Builder

Posts 51
Registered 21/6/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: mid engined spaceframed road legal racecar

posted on 14/12/07 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
raceleda arms are welded.

FWIW I looked at a raceleda steering arm from a crashed fury.

The car had gone into the tyres at Mallory pk hairpin after a 'late braking' incident.

The front n/s wheel took most of the impact. the steering arm had bent quite badly but didn't break.

NS Dev

posted on 14/12/07 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
as usual its up to the designer.

if one was to weld it at home with a 130 amp sip mig then one could expect to be in the 5hit if it broke and caused an accident.

Done properly and designed properly,

a) it won't break

b) if it did, it would be part of an accident which could have broken any steering arm subject to the same force and there is no case against you.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 16/12/07 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Steering

"If your brakes fail, you can pick which tree you hit or wall you go through" "If your steering fails............"

I would never compromise on any aspect of steering. Therefore if you weld steering arms (something I would be very wary of doing) make sure you really know what you are doing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.