Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Further to my 306 problem . . .
MattCraneCustoms

posted on 14/12/07 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Further to my 306 problem . . .

Turns out it was my right knee, it is the front lower rear wishbone bush as suspected. However, i'm trying to drop the ball joint out of the upright, but the bolt that goes through the upright and holds the ball joint in place is stuck fast. i've got the nut off, but i've tried impact gun, WD40, hammer, heat, it must just be rusted tight. I'm trying to tread carefully to avoid damaging other parts, but any other thoughts on how to remove a well rusted bolt?
bigrich

posted on 14/12/07 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
just hit it out with a big hammer and replace it with a new suitable bolt.

sometimes BFI is the only solution

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

oadamo

posted on 14/12/07 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
blow torch
adam

speedyxjs

posted on 14/12/07 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
New car?
Oh sorry, not very locost

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Howlor

posted on 14/12/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Put the nut back on about 2-3 turns at least ideally so the nut is 1mm from been tight again. Then big hammer as suggested and 'give it a bit of tune'!

You may get away without damaging the threads but at the worst it will be a new bolt n nut.

Steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/12/07 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
put the nut back on so till it starts to clear the thead and thump the nut with that hammer, assuming that the hammer is a big one. Hit it till it comes out, you will not brake anything else trying to shift that small bolt. Don't use heat there.

phah look at that /\ he can type faster

[Edited on 14/12/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hillbillyracer

posted on 14/12/07 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Get some one to hold the steering on full lock to keep it steady & give good access, then as said hit it fookin hard with a 2-3lb hammer. Often seen them stuck like that but I've not been beaten yet!
If you're working with the car on the ground mabye get a bar to use as a drift about 1" round long enough to clear the hub assembly so you can get a good swing at it.
New bolt is pretty much a certainty but it's just an M10 so not hard to get, just make sure it's 8.8 tensile or more.

balidey

posted on 14/12/07 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
If I recall, the vertical bit of the ball joint that goes through the hub part has a groove in it, which if the weight of the wheel is hanging down then this is also clamping the bolt in place. So, take the weight off the hub. When I did my pug earlier this year we had to jack up the suspension before we could remove the ball joint.

Hope that helps.

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 14/12/07 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you have a good fitting socket and get a long bar (scafolding pole) and try turning the bolt. If that fails and you have to hammer it out get a new bolt first as they are a pain to find the right size. Just keep trying it will come out. I haven't seen one totaly stuck yet,. Good luck
Ronnie

MattCraneCustoms

posted on 15/12/07 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Removed!!! I put the nut back on the end and hit seven bells out of it, soon moved. Just had a right job fitting the new bush, but all sorted!! Thanks chaps

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.