Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: help with rear hubs needed
bobster

posted on 16/12/07 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
help with rear hubs needed

Why do even simple things become a nightmare with my build?
Got up this morning to fit the rear hubs and uprights to sort the rear suspension. - sounds easy.
De dion rear with sierra hubs, flanges and stub axles.
Drivers side - perfect. flanges seated easily and feels ok.
Passengers side - press fit bearings - fine. Uprights/flange very tight fit and needed adjuster to get it through the bearings. Then had to use the hub nut to fully seat it into the bearing. Now the whole assembly wont turn at all, even with the stub axle removed. I've read earlier threads where torquing up the hub nut seems to make the assembly very tight. but mine is now tight even with the nut and stub axle removed. Do I need to pull it all apart and fit new bearings?

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/12/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
see where my finger is? I've had to grind that area way cos it was fouling the upright, check your is not doing the same, common problem. Rescued attachment there.JPG
Rescued attachment there.JPG

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bobster

posted on 16/12/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
have heard of that causing problems before and will check on mine. however mine is snagging without the stub axle even fitted!!!!!
Mr Whippy

posted on 16/12/07 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'd suspect the bearings are the wrong ones somehow, are they genuine ford? If their tight at all they'll disintegrate in use

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bobster

posted on 16/12/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
its the hub in the bearing carrier. I used the stub axle and hub nut to seat the hub in the bearings. now very, very tight even with removal of the stub axle. The drivers side hub slipped into the bearing fairly easily but the passenger side was a mother of a job to get in. same bearings.
MkIndy7

posted on 16/12/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
If the other side slipped right in.....

You did put them back in the right way round didn't you?

Both stub axels should need a little winding in to compress the driveshaft, I can't help thinking you've got them on the wrong side as 1 driveshaft is longer than the other.

Doh I've just read its a de-dion setup and not the sierra diff!... unless the same it true for those as well.

[Edited on 16/12/07 by MkIndy7]

blueshift

posted on 16/12/07 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
They are the same, at least mine is. The de-dion replaces the subframe but the diff and original driveshafts drop straight in - so you have one long and one short one still.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.