Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Header design
jkarran

posted on 17/12/07 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Header design

Has anyone any experience of building a 4-1 header with all the runners arranged in a line rather than in a square pattern? I've seen a picture of one somewhere, it looked gash but it might be the space (height) saving solution I'm looking for. Is it a terrible idea, if so why?

I'm doing a front engined, front drive R1 mini for a friend, there's no space at all for a convoluted equal length 4-1 with the collector to the side of the engine where I'd like to put it.

Could maybe do 4-2-1 going either side of the engine linking cyl 1-2, 3-4 but I'm not sure if that's the 'right' way to do it.

Any good reading/links on header design?
jk

twybrow

posted on 17/12/07 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Have you seen this site?

jkarran

posted on 17/12/07 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I deliberately avoided looking at how others had done it until I'd worked through the problems in my head with the bits in front of me. The engine sits in very neatly that way round but there's too much extra engineering needed in the drivetrain and oil system for my liking, we're going the other way round, it's a compromise between functionality, fit and simplicity of build.

That header is the sort of thing I was thinking of. I wonder how well it works? At least it's simple to make.

jk

Davey D

posted on 17/12/07 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Have you seen this site?

ooh that setup looks very tidy

takumi

posted on 17/12/07 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
NOT BEC, but I made this up for my Zetec-SE engine..

I was going to try a flat 4-1 but only 1 company in the states SPD i think, regulary made them.. I was quoted over £200 just for the collector (merge) by OjZ Eng, but in the end I used a regular 2x2 4-1 merge collector I got cheap

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w60/szbrozek/project/S1031574.jpg
[Edited on 17-12-07 by takumi]

[Edited on 17-12-07 by takumi]

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

jkarran

posted on 17/12/07 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey, 200 notes!

Subject to a little practice with the tig on stainless I'm confident I can make a tidy locost flat collecter. I'm rather looking forward to making a manifold, something I've not tried before.

jk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.